    connected (I would quess so), or do I need some kind of software as well?

    Thanks

    Juha
    Juha Kettunen, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Juha Kettunen

    Thor Guest

    "Juha Kettunen" <> wrote in message
    news:8wQec.673$...
    > Somebody already asked a question "by serial cable" ...
    >
    > Mine (maybe a simple one) is, that I need to use my friends laptop DVD

    drive
    > to copy DVDs onto my computer. We both have Windows XP and USB. Is the
    > transfer so easy that I just buy a USB cable and they are automatically
    > connected (I would quess so), or do I need some kind of software as well?

    You need a special USB file transfer cable, and it usually comes with
    software, although I'm not sure if XP requires it. Alternatively, you can
    achieve something similar if you buy two USB ethernet adapters, and then
    connect them with a crossover ethernet cable. Then you would have the two
    machines networked, and can share files that way, but I think the plain file
    transfer cable would be less expensive overall.
    Thor, Apr 13, 2004