connecting 2 laptops

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by KRK, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. KRK

    KRK Guest

    Hello

    I have 2 laptop pcs, both run Vista Home Premium and both are 'wireless
    enabled' , though the wireless facility is switched off on both at present.

    Laptop 1 is connected to the internet via a cable ; I don't have wireless
    internet access. My printer is also connected to laptop 1 (via a usb port)

    Laptop 2 is used elsewhere in the house and a wired connection is
    impractical. It has never been connected to the net.

    Can I get Laptop 1 and laptop 2 to talk to each other wirelessly ? and if
    so, how? Do I need extra software?

    Can I get laptop 2 to access the internet via laptop 1's connection ?

    Can I get laptop 2 to talk to my printer via laptop 1 ?

    Would I need a device plugged into the usb port (as supplied with wireless
    keyboards) ?

    Thanks for all help & suggestions

    KK

    KRK, Apr 10, 2008

  2. You should be able to setup an adhoc wireless network between the two using
    the built-in wireless hardware.

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/search.aspx?=&qu=adhoc

    File and Print Sharing help...

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/networking.mspx

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Apr 10, 2008

  3. Hi
    First you set up the two to communicate Ad-Hoc (as mention by Al above).
    Then you set the Internet Sharing (ICS).
    http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/bfd3bd31-82f0-4b9c-9cde-fb92bc2b14771033.mspx
    However if your Internet source is an External Modem you are much better off
    getting a Wireless Cable/DSL Router and connect independent one from the
    other.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 10, 2008