    Laptop 1 is a compaq presario m2000 with built in broadband card.
    Laptop 2 is a compaq armada with no broadband card.

    Both run windows xp home with #2 having been upgraded using the disk from
    #1.

    On #2 I have a belkin flash drive antenna.

    I tried the "create new connection" wizard on both, and both failed. Nothing
    shows in either list of connections. The final step in the wizard asks to
    use a cd, or "just do it". I chose just do it on both. The wizard then
    proceeded to create the network. But nothing has appeared so far.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Any decent websites that show the proper method?
    Excluding M$ sites.
    richard, Mar 20, 2007

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > Laptop 1 is a compaq presario m2000 with built in broadband card.
    > Laptop 2 is a compaq armada with no broadband card.
    >
    > Both run windows xp home with #2 having been upgraded using the disk from
    > #1.
    >
    > On #2 I have a belkin flash drive antenna.
    >
    > I tried the "create new connection" wizard on both, and both failed.
    > Nothing shows in either list of connections. The final step in the wizard
    > asks to use a cd, or "just do it". I chose just do it on both. The wizard
    > then proceeded to create the network. But nothing has appeared so far.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Any decent websites that show the proper method?
    > Excluding M$ sites.

    So far I've been able to set up a "gateway" connection on Laptop 1, but not
    #2 yet.
    Just do not understand the process.
    richard, Mar 20, 2007

  3. richard wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Laptop 1 is a compaq presario m2000 with built in broadband card.
    >> Laptop 2 is a compaq armada with no broadband card.
    >>
    >> Both run windows xp home with #2 having been upgraded using the disk
    >> from #1.
    >>
    >> On #2 I have a belkin flash drive antenna.
    >>
    >> I tried the "create new connection" wizard on both, and both failed.
    >> Nothing shows in either list of connections. The final step in the
    >> wizard asks to use a cd, or "just do it". I chose just do it on both.
    >> The wizard then proceeded to create the network. But nothing has
    >> appeared so far.
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >> Any decent websites that show the proper method?
    >> Excluding M$ sites.
    >>

    > So far I've been able to set up a "gateway" connection on Laptop 1, but
    > not #2 yet.
    > Just do not understand the process.

    What is a broadband card? You do realize that both computers need
    wireless devices if you're attempting wireless, right?

    I don't think you used the right wizard. If your main goal is sharing
    files run the setup small home or office network wizard in the create
    new connection area. Or if you're main goal is to get both on the
    internet, you can use the same wizard and tell it to setup internet
    connection sharing. But it would be a better solution to use a wireless
    router and you can hook both with either wireless or cables.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 20, 2007
  4. richard

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 20, 2007