    will connecting the two involve wires being strung throughout the walls?
    Any help would be appreciated.

    LeAnn

    justme, Dec 31, 2003

  2. justme

    Duane Arnold Guest

    justme <> wrote in news::

    > I believe someone asked this question already but I need 'laymen' terms.
    > What would it take for me to hook up two computers to ADSL? I want
    > each computer to work independently of each other (meaning one doesn't
    > have to be on for the other to work). Would it cost me more from my ISP
    > a month? What type of equipment would I have to buy, how much money
    > would I be out? I'll have one computer downstairs and one upstairs,
    > will connecting the two involve wires being strung throughout the walls?
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > LeAnn

    In *layman* terms, get wire/wireless router AP and connect the machine with
    the wire NIC into the router. Then get s wireless NIC for the other
    computer and it will be like it's connected to the router like the wired
    one but using the air waves to make the connection.

    Maybe, you'll be out of $140 or less if you catch a sale.

    Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Belkin, SMC are some of the manufactures that
    make the above kind of routers.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 31, 2003

  3. justme

    Jerry G. Guest

    Get yourself a router, and connect the two computers via their network card
    to the router. You will need a patch cable for each machine. Then connect
    the DSL modem to the WAN connection on the router via its patch cable.

    Follow the instructions that comes with the router and the modem to set up
    the system.

    I personally do not wireless networking for security, speed, and reliability
    reasons.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Jan 1, 2004
  4. justme

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in

    > Get yourself a router, and connect the two computers via their network
    > card to the router. You will need a patch cable for each machine. Then
    > connect the DSL modem to the WAN connection on the router via its
    > patch cable.
    >
    > Follow the instructions that comes with the router and the modem to
    > set up the system.
    >
    > I personally do not wireless networking for security, speed, and
    > reliability reasons.

    Wireless is a security risk as long as one doesn't know how to configure
    things properly. As far as speed concerns between wire and wireless, wire
    is faster on file downloads. But as far as Internet access or even resource
    sharing between machines, wireless moves a long as well as wired.

    I have been using wire/wireless router for years now with no problems.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 1, 2004
  5. justme

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote in

    > Wireless is a security risk as long as one doesn't know how to
    > configure things properly. As far as speed concerns between wire and
    > wireless, wire is faster on file downloads. But as far as Internet
    > access or even resource sharing between machines, wireless moves a
    > long as well as wired.
    >
    > I have been using wire/wireless router for years now with no problems.

    I'd go a step farther than this. My 802.11b card and access point
    benchmark at ~9Mbit/sec with 64-bit WEP. The fastest my cable connection
    has ever benchmarked at is ~3Mbit/sec. So no matter what, wireless
    wouldn't change how fast the internet access is. However, the rest of my
    network is 100Mbit/sec, and the difference between a wired machine on my
    LAN and my wireless machine is enough that I can not use networked
    applications on the wireless machine. As in, I normally build Mozilla
    Firebird from source and it is run off a network share by everyone in the
    house, along with Eudora, Xnews, and programs like AIM. I can't run those
    at acceptable speeds off a wireless connection.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 1, 2004
  6. justme

    Duane Arnold Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in news:Xns94639A90D2197Wobbly@216.168.3.30:

    > Duane Arnold <> wrote in
    >
    >> Wireless is a security risk as long as one doesn't know how to
    >> configure things properly. As far as speed concerns between wire and
    >> wireless, wire is faster on file downloads. But as far as Internet
    >> access or even resource sharing between machines, wireless moves a
    >> long as well as wired.
    >>
    >> I have been using wire/wireless router for years now with no
    >> problems.

    > I'd go a step farther than this. My 802.11b card and access point
    > benchmark at ~9Mbit/sec with 64-bit WEP. The fastest my cable
    > connection has ever benchmarked at is ~3Mbit/sec. So no matter what,
    > wireless wouldn't change how fast the internet access is. However,
    > the rest of my network is 100Mbit/sec, and the difference between a
    > wired machine on my LAN and my wireless machine is enough that I can
    > not use networked applications on the wireless machine. As in, I
    > normally build Mozilla Firebird from source and it is run off a
    > network share by everyone in the house, along with Eudora, Xnews, and
    > programs like AIM. I can't run those at acceptable speeds off a
    > wireless connection.

    I don't have a lot of people running concurrently on the network. So I am
    not faced with that problem and there is only one wireless machine. I see
    your point of doing a network share to reduce workstation application
    deployment on your end. But using the share resource method does take
    time to go back and forth on the network, using a thin client approach.

    But in my case and most cases, one is using a fat client machine running
    Xnews, Outlook and other Internet applications and I don't see or notice
    that much of a difference in the speed between the one wireless and the
    other wired machines.

    And you may laugh, but I do use that Intelli-dial-up Utility on all the
    machines and I think it works. <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 2, 2004