    The purpose is to use 2 routers (805 for example) to connect two building
    with a distance of 800 meters between them. Existing ducts can be used
    in this case. Fibre will require new ducts.

    amn, May 9, 2004

  2. amn

    shope Guest

    "amn" <> wrote in message
    news:409ddb51$0$563$4all.nl...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is it possible to connect two CISCO routers with a serial WAN interface
    > directly using either voice-grade or CAT 5/6 cable?

    dont think so (or at least it isnt documented)

    > The purpose is to use 2 routers (805 for example) to connect two building
    > with a distance of 800 meters between them. Existing ducts can be used
    > in this case. Fibre will require new ducts.

    even if you can make serial work over UTP, it isnt going to cope with those
    distances.

    Buy some serial line drivers from Black Box or the local equivalent (should
    give you 1.5 or 2M).

    1 other alternative is a pair of SDSL modems - these often come with
    Ethernet ports, so you may only need 1 router1. Standard SDSL is good for
    around 2 Km and 2.3 Mbps.

    I have seen the Net2net working well on voice grade cabling and rented
    copper circuits in the UK.
    http://www.nettonet.com/solutions/point-to-point/
    --
    Regards

    shope, May 9, 2004

  3. amn

    mh Guest

    mh, May 9, 2004
  4. amn

    AnyBody43 Guest

    "shope" <> wrote
    > "amn" <> wrote
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Is it possible to connect two CISCO routers with a serial WAN interface
    > > directly using either voice-grade or CAT 5/6 cable?

    > dont think so (or at least it isnt documented)
    > >
    > > The purpose is to use 2 routers (805 for example) to connect two building
    > > with a distance of 800 meters between them. Existing ducts can be used
    > > in this case. Fibre will require new ducts.

    I know nothing about it but you might want to consider
    LRE - Long Range Ethernet.

    AnyBody43, May 10, 2004
  5. amn

    mh Guest

    Make sure the LDMs are SYNCHRONOUS and have a V.35 interface

    mh, May 10, 2004