Connected with Actrix.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ok, so I'm now an Actrix customer, as of mid-day. Too soon to give a report
    of things yet but I have a question for Actrix users.

    What is the NNTP server like? I subscribed to my regular groups and for
    about 6 of them got the "group download in progress" message.

    Ten minutes later I hit "Synch all" again (OE) and got a whole bunch of
    posts. 'Looking good' I thought. However, for two groups in particular that
    I monitor usually twice a day or more, there are no posts since 02/02/06.
    Now, I know for a nfact that these groups have been getting upwards of 25
    posts a day since then. I've been re-downloading the groups on-and-off all
    afternoon but still no posts from the last 8 days or so. My posts show up
    instantly in the nz.xxx groups and replies are appearing to them so they're
    fine.

    Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's NNTP
    server please?

    Ciao,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2006

  2. T'was the Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:30 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's NNTP
    >server please?

    On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh the other day
    who said that they didn't have a NNTP server. I guess the demand
    doesn't warrant the effort.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 10, 2006

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:30 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's
    >> NNTP server please?

    > On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh the other day
    > who said that they didn't have a NNTP server. I guess the demand
    > doesn't warrant the effort.

    As mentioned many times in this NG, if the ISPs made more people aware of
    news groups, they would have far more people using them. Everybody I know
    who uses newsgroups does so because someone else has told them about it.
    i.e. me.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2006
  4. ~misfit~

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >> T'was the Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:30 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    >> <> saying something like this:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's
    >>> NNTP server please?

    >> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh the other day
    >> who said that they didn't have a NNTP server. I guess the demand
    >> doesn't warrant the effort.

    > As mentioned many times in this NG, if the ISPs made more people aware of
    > news groups, they would have far more people using them. Everybody I know
    > who uses newsgroups does so because someone else has told them about it.
    > i.e. me.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    very true...nothing on xtra about it
    misfit was the one who introduced me on here

    Krazy Bob, Feb 10, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh

    That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Feb 10, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >

    >> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh

    > That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.

    the same could be said about xtra ;-)

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Feb 10, 2006
  7. On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:30 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Ok, so I'm now an Actrix customer, as of mid-day. Too soon to give a report
    >of things yet but I have a question for Actrix users.
    >
    >What is the NNTP server like? I subscribed to my regular groups and for
    >about 6 of them got the "group download in progress" message.
    >
    >Ten minutes later I hit "Synch all" again (OE) and got a whole bunch of
    >posts. 'Looking good' I thought. However, for two groups in particular that
    >I monitor usually twice a day or more, there are no posts since 02/02/06.
    >Now, I know for a nfact that these groups have been getting upwards of 25
    >posts a day since then. I've been re-downloading the groups on-and-off all
    >afternoon but still no posts from the last 8 days or so. My posts show up
    >instantly in the nz.xxx groups and replies are appearing to them so they're
    >fine.
    >
    >Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's NNTP
    >server please?
    >
    >Ciao,

    Actrix use DNews (or possibly SurgeNews now) as their server software,
    and it is set to download newsgroups only if someone is actually using
    them. That is why you get the "Group download in progress" messages,
    if you hit a group that is not locally cached. I do not know who they
    peer with (it used to be an NZ site), but if their peer server(s) have
    problems with a group, so will they. There used to be at least one
    technician who was keen on NNTP and would do a good job fixing things
    if anything went wrong, but most of the others did not know much about
    it and you had to wait for him to be available, so if he was on
    holiday there was a delay. It is always worthwhile calling their
    helpdesk to ask about problems, and at least get a message passed on
    to the right person.

    I run an ancient copy of DNews on one of my PCs. It is good software,
    but has *lots* of options.

    DNews/SurgeNews (NZ company):
    http://netwinsite.com

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 10, 2006
  8. T'was the Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:15:58 +1300 when I remembered EMB
    <> saying something like this:

    > On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh
    >
    >That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.

    Haha. Surprisingly, they're the first company in the world to be doing
    the things they're doing using that technology, so I presume they must
    be pretty savvy in the technological department to be first to market
    with their product.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 10, 2006
  9. ~misfit~

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    > T'was the Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:15:58 +1300 when I remembered EMB
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh
    >>
    >>That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.

    > Haha. Surprisingly, they're the first company in the world to be doing
    > the things they're doing using that technology, so I presume they must
    > be pretty savvy in the technological department to be first to market
    > with their product.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.

    They were losing money not that long ago and cut back on either their
    projected plans or their services.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 10, 2006
  10. ~misfit~

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>

    >>> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh

    >> That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.
    >>

    > the same could be said about xtra ;-)
    >
    > KB

    Is Xtra losing money? :)

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 10, 2006
  11. In article <1139606130.383657@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > Is Xtra losing money? :)
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Hardly. Where I come from, we have a proverb: 'the devil always shits on the
    biggest pile'. With lots of assistance from the sheeple, obviously.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 10, 2006
  12. ~misfit~

    Tony Guest

    On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh

    >> That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.

    > Haha. Surprisingly, they're the first company in the world to be doing
    > the things they're doing using that technology, so I presume they must
    > be pretty savvy in the technological department to be first to market
    > with their product.
    > --
    > Cheers,

    nope, meybe they were the only ones silly enough to buy the product ?

    Tony, Feb 11, 2006
  13. ~misfit~

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1139606130.383657@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >>
    >> Is Xtra losing money? :)
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Hardly. Where I come from, we have a proverb: 'the devil always shits on
    > the
    > biggest pile'. With lots of assistance from the sheeple, obviously.
    >
    > -P.

    Woosh isn't in the same league and never was. WK seems to think that Woosh
    is inovative and yet it's only available in a small part of the country.
    ihug was also inovative (gamblers) with a small time TV service for those
    that could see the Sky Tower. Why ihug's TV service didn't put TVNZ out of
    business is anyone's guess ;-).
    ihug no longer offer a satellite service at all, the Aussie owners of ihug
    couldn't dump it quick enough.

    Slingshot seems to think it's a big player while trying to push Telecom
    around like a mouse trying to push an elephant. Slingshot hasn't even got
    the resources to provide a usenet newsgroup service without using ihug's
    news server.
    I never did hear back from Slingshot over my complaint about their Indian
    speaking telemarketer, who was on a shocking line God knows where trying to
    sell me Slingshot's Toll Call service. The real laugh was when the fool
    then tried to sell me a damn Slingshot Internet plan.
    Yesterday I had an Indian from Clear on the phone trying to sell their damn
    Toll Call services. Then they asked what I pay for the Internet - $16 I
    said - they then asked how many hours that was for. They gave up the
    Internet sales pitch when I informed them the hours is unlimited on the flat
    rate service.

    They're all monkeys, except the ones at Telecom own all the bananas.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 11, 2006
  14. T'was the Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:38:27 +1300 when I remembered "E.
    Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> saying something like this:

    >Woosh isn't in the same league and never was. WK seems to think that Woosh
    >is inovative and yet it's only available in a small part of the country.

    Which is a pretty obvious thing to do from a business point of view.
    That possible new cell phone company will only be starting from the
    main centres so I read.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 11, 2006
  15. In article <>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Ok, so I'm now an Actrix customer, as of mid-day. Too soon to give a report
    >of things yet but I have a question for Actrix users.
    >
    >What is the NNTP server like? I subscribed to my regular groups and for
    >about 6 of them got the "group download in progress" message.
    >
    >Ten minutes later I hit "Synch all" again (OE) and got a whole bunch of
    >posts. 'Looking good' I thought. However, for two groups in particular that
    >I monitor usually twice a day or more, there are no posts since 02/02/06.
    >Now, I know for a nfact that these groups have been getting upwards of 25
    >posts a day since then. I've been re-downloading the groups on-and-off all
    >afternoon but still no posts from the last 8 days or so. My posts show up
    >instantly in the nz.xxx groups and replies are appearing to them so they're
    >fine.
    >
    >Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's NNTP
    >server please?

    Tried it first time last week and was a bit grumpy with how slow it was to
    show me the list of groups ... but then realised that there were many 10s of
    thousands of them. :)
    Seemed fairly quick to me. Using Pan.

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 13, 2006
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Ok, so I'm now an Actrix customer, as of mid-day. Too soon to give a
    >> report of things yet but I have a question for Actrix users.
    >>
    >> What is the NNTP server like? I subscribed to my regular groups and
    >> for about 6 of them got the "group download in progress" message.
    >>
    >> Ten minutes later I hit "Synch all" again (OE) and got a whole bunch
    >> of posts. 'Looking good' I thought. However, for two groups in
    >> particular that I monitor usually twice a day or more, there are no
    >> posts since 02/02/06. Now, I know for a nfact that these groups have
    >> been getting upwards of 25 posts a day since then. I've been
    >> re-downloading the groups on-and-off all afternoon but still no
    >> posts from the last 8 days or so. My posts show up instantly in the
    >> nz.xxx groups and replies are appearing to them so they're fine.
    >>
    >> Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's
    >> NNTP server please?

    > Tried it first time last week and was a bit grumpy with how slow it
    > was to
    > show me the list of groups ... but then realised that there were many
    > 10s of thousands of them. :)
    > Seemed fairly quick to me. Using Pan.

    Thanks Bruce. Yeah, it's adequate for my needs. One thing though, Actrix's
    web site has to be the slowest website to load of any of the sites I visit
    regularly, including Toms hardware and several European sites. Annoying when
    I'm trying to quickly check my usage and it takes a while to load.

    BTW, I've been connected four and a half days now and not one PPP drop-out
    compared with around 14 drop-outs in my last 4 1/2 days with Orcon. I don't
    know how they can have the cheek to not only lie about the drop-outs but
    have me running around chasing my own arse for no reason, checking my line
    and modem etc.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~