    There was no such problem using WEP.

    wired PC: Dell 3000, XP Home, SP2, 80 gig HD, 512 of RAM
    laptop: Dell 6000, XP Pro, SP2, 80 gig HD, 512 RAM
    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEVhZ2xl?=, May 31, 2006

  2. Hi
    Make sure that the Wireless Client (laptop, whatever) is actually capable to
    handle WPA2 as well.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 31, 2006

  3. Hi, Jack.

    How do we find out whether or not the laptop can do WPA2?

    Red Eagle

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEVhZ2xl?=, May 31, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEVhZ2xl?=

    Joe Guest

    I switched my laptop from WEP to WPA using the same pass phrase. I then
    switched to WPA2, again using the same passphrase.

    I have an IBM i1200 running WIN98SE @ 550MHZ, so I would think your machine
    should be capable providing you have the correct driver for your wireless
    card.

    --
    Joe

    =====================================
    ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2005

    =====================================

    Joe, May 31, 2006
  5. Hi
    Assuming that Windows Zero Configuration does not show WPA/WPA2 in its Data
    Encryption menu entry.
    1. Might be that the manufacturer site provide the info. about the issue.
    2. You can install the original utility that came with the card, disable
    temporarily Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) and start the utility. These
    utilities usually would have menus that depict all the card's capacities.
    According to outcome you can use the Utility or go back to WZC.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 31, 2006
  6. I just chatted with a Linksys rep who told me that the laptop may not support
    WPA2. She told me to contact Microsoft or the manufacturer to find out. Is
    there some way I can get this info without calling anyone?

    I downloaded the hotfix KN 893357 on my wired PC before trying to establish
    the new connection. Would the laptop need the same hotfix?

    Please advise.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEVhZ2xl?=, Jun 1, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEVhZ2xl?=

    Lem Guest

    Red Eagle wrote:
    > I just chatted with a Linksys rep who told me that the laptop may not support
    > WPA2. She told me to contact Microsoft or the manufacturer to find out. Is
    > there some way I can get this info without calling anyone?
    >
    > I downloaded the hotfix KN 893357 on my wired PC before trying to establish
    > the new connection. Would the laptop need the same hotfix?
    >
    > Please advise.
    >

    > "Joe" wrote:
    >
    >> I switched my laptop from WEP to WPA using the same pass phrase. I then
    >> switched to WPA2, again using the same passphrase.
    >>
    >> I have an IBM i1200 running WIN98SE @ 550MHZ, so I would think your machine
    >> should be capable providing you have the correct driver for your wireless
    >> card.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joe
    >>
    >> =====================================
    >> ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2005
    >>
    >> =====================================
    >>
    >> "Red Eagle" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, Jack.
    >>>
    >>> How do we find out whether or not the laptop can do WPA2?
    >>>
    >>> Red Eagle

    You need 3 things to use WPA2 in a computer such as your laptop:

    1. The OS has to support it -- that means, yes, you need to install
    update KB 893357 if you haven't already.

    2. The wireless hardware must support it.

    3. The driver for the wireless hardware must support it.

    Assuming that an option for WPA2 doesn't show up where you expect it,
    the only way you can confirm no. 2 is by knowing what's physically in
    your laptop. Dell says you can determine it this way:
    http://tinyurl.com/laked
    Once you have figured out wireless NIC what you have, you can Google or
    search the Dell site to determine if it will support WPA2. See. e.g.,
    http://tinyurl.com/qs6vj

    For no. 3, get and install the latest driver for it by following
    directions on the first page linked above.
    Lem, Jun 1, 2006
  8. Thank you for responding with this information. It seems to be what I needed.

    Red Eagle

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEVhZ2xl?=, Jun 2, 2006