    on or off).
    Any help greatly appreciated. Have tried working with support from Proxim
    but guess they've given up.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZW5z?=, Nov 29, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZW5z?=

    Arnold Guest

    Make sure your gateway IP address on your workstation is set to the
    router's IP address. If you have DHCP turned on on your router, make
    sure your router is assigning the right addresses and gateway.

    Arnold..

    Arnold, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Security (WEP, WPA-TSK) turned on for the router ??

    MD

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=, Nov 29, 2005
  4. All security turned off. No WEP. All the IPs are correct for the router.
    Laptop has XP Pro SP2 with latest updates. As I said, I can ping router and
    the desktop, but can't access the desktop from Laptop.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZW5z?=, Nov 29, 2005
  5. "ens" <> wrote in message
    > Cable connected to Linksys router, Desktop connected thru ethernet cable.
    > Laptop with Orinoco wireless card (latest driver). No firewall started.
    > Says
    > excellent connection to network. Can ping router and desktop now. But
    > still
    > no connection to internet. Have tried turning on and off the WZC utility.
    > The Configuration Utility that comes with the new driver is useless cause
    > all
    > the buttons to add profiles and anything else are all disabled (with the
    > WZC
    > on or off).

    Yeah, they WOULD be disabled until you turn the Windows one off which, even
    though you may think is off, may not be.

    Personally, I would try reinstalling the wireless NIC driver from scratch.
    Also the network. Once the driver is done, set up the network with no
    firewall OR encryption.

    If that fails to yield a result, you may have to reset the router physically
    and then pull the power plug out of it for a good 30 seconds then put it
    back in, setup your Internet again and then setup the network.

    You see, the old "cant see the forest for the trees" saying comes in here.
    You may have made a mistake but cant see it.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried several times to uninstall the
    whole wireless card and reinstall to no avail. May just have to reload from
    scratch. If the WZC says it is stopped in windows services, would it not be
    stopped? How else can you tell? I've even disabled it in the startup. My
    Linksys card was working fine here at home, but on the road trying to connect
    to an unsecured network gave me these same symtoms. Connected, but no
    internet accesss. That's why I bought this besides the fact the Linksys
    doesn't seem to have a true xp compatible driver.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZW5z?=, Nov 29, 2005
  7. "ens" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried several times to uninstall the
    > whole wireless card and reinstall to no avail. May just have to reload
    > from
    > scratch. If the WZC says it is stopped in windows services, would it not
    > be
    > stopped? How else can you tell? I've even disabled it in the startup.
    > My
    > Linksys card was working fine here at home, but on the road trying to
    > connect
    > to an unsecured network gave me these same symtoms. Connected, but no
    > internet accesss. That's why I bought this besides the fact the Linksys
    > doesn't seem to have a true xp compatible driver.

    OH now I think I see. If you come across an unsecured network and can
    connect to it but not get internet, it simply may be that they have pulled
    the ADSL plug out of their modem before you found that network thus no
    internet possible. Where I live, being Summer starting tomorrow, it is now
    well and truly into the lightning storm season and as we all know, if you
    are going to get surge damage without a direct strike, it is more likely to
    be up the phone line than anywhere else. While my damage would be limited to
    the modem itself seeing the rest is wireless, I still don't want to lose it.
    So, when I am not using internet I pull the phone plug from the router. It
    is extremely likely that you will get storm damage here.

    Another thing is that you may have someone who has set their wi-fi up
    without an access list so that you can connect only.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Thanks for your efforts. This is a cable modem. It is on my home
    network/internet I'm trying to connect to. Still not able to figure it out.
    My case with Proxim has been handed to somebody else, so maybe I'll get some
    help. If you can think of anything else I might try, I'm very willing to
    listen.
    A dumb question - How would I uninstall the network?? (you mentioned in a

    =?Utf-8?B?ZW5z?=, Nov 29, 2005
  9. "ens" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your efforts. This is a cable modem. It is on my home
    > network/internet I'm trying to connect to. Still not able to figure it
    > out.
    > My case with Proxim has been handed to somebody else, so maybe I'll get
    > some
    > help. If you can think of anything else I might try, I'm very willing to
    > listen.
    > A dumb question - How would I uninstall the network?? (you mentioned in a

    Just go to the NIC and uninstall it.

    However, you may have a cablemodem set to an ISP for example. Optus do that
    in Australia. They fiddle the innards of Dlink 302Gs for example so that it
    will work for 30 mins with another ISP and never again. You have to get a
    rewrite from Dlink in the form of an exe as Optus remove the upgrade line
    from the modem's innards, too. If your modem has been fiddled that way, you
    have to go back to the modem manufacturer and ask for help.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Dec 1, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?ZW5z?=

    Ed. Guest

    A lot times installing or uninstalling some programs or some windows updates
    makes those icons disappear. It happens to me at times.

    I just uncheck from showing and then check it again and it they appear.

    To do so:

    Go to My Computer.
    On left go to Control Panel.
    If it opens in Classic View,
    Click on the Network Connections icon.
    If it opens in Category View,
    Click on Network and Internet Connections.
    Click on Network Connections.
    Right click on your Network Connection.
    Click on Properties.
    Take the check out of "Show icon in notification area when connected" and
    Apply.
    Now put it back in and then Apply.
    It should reappear unless your computer is using other third party software
    from it's manufacturer instead of XP to handle your Network stuff.
    Good Luck.

    Ed., Dec 2, 2005