connected but no IP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by DBruceM2, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. DBruceM2

    DBruceM2 Guest

    I'm at the end of my rope with wireless issue one of my users is
    experiencing. I've gone as far as to replace the laptop twice (3
    total laptops). The last one is brand new out of the box.

    Issue: Wireless networking works while at home office.(WEP enabled)
    Wireless networking works when going to a hotel. (regular hotel
    wireless portal page w/ access code)
    At certain hot-spots, such as airports and other offices, the laptop
    can see the open un-secured network, but will not obtain an IP
    address. This happens at several airports and several doctors
    offices. Some are un-secured, and at least on requires WEP. It's as
    if the "physical" network connection is established, but the virtual
    connection does not complete. No IP addy is obtained. release and
    renew of IP fails, repair of the wireless connection fails. If the
    user returns to the hotel or their home office, the wireless works
    fine.

    Stats: Win XP SP2, internal Dell wireless card (G), User has local
    admin, Windows Firewall off, Symantec Corp. ver. 10.x.x.x. No
    additional 3rd party firewalls installed.

    Is there any plausible explanation as to why the wireless will work in
    hotels and at home, but fails to work in a public airport or office?
    Please help!
    DBruceM2, Jan 30, 2008

  2. DBruceM2

    Jim Guest

    "DBruceM2" <> wrote in message
    > I'm at the end of my rope with wireless issue one of my users is
    > experiencing. I've gone as far as to replace the laptop twice (3
    > total laptops). The last one is brand new out of the box.
    >
    > Issue: Wireless networking works while at home office.(WEP enabled)
    > Wireless networking works when going to a hotel. (regular hotel
    > wireless portal page w/ access code)
    > At certain hot-spots, such as airports and other offices, the laptop
    > can see the open un-secured network, but will not obtain an IP
    > address. This happens at several airports and several doctors
    > offices. Some are un-secured, and at least on requires WEP. It's as
    > if the "physical" network connection is established, but the virtual
    > connection does not complete. No IP addy is obtained. release and
    > renew of IP fails, repair of the wireless connection fails. If the
    > user returns to the hotel or their home office, the wireless works
    > fine.
    >
    > Stats: Win XP SP2, internal Dell wireless card (G), User has local
    > admin, Windows Firewall off, Symantec Corp. ver. 10.x.x.x. No
    > additional 3rd party firewalls installed.
    >
    > Is there any plausible explanation as to why the wireless will work in
    > hotels and at home, but fails to work in a public airport or office?
    > Please help!

    It would be useful to compare the results of ipconfig/all under both
    examples.

    Jim
    Jim, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Hi
    Many times connected means that there is signal that can be received, but it
    does not necessarily mean that you have the correct credentials and that you
    are allowed to logon to the network.
    In the situations that you described you need to get permission and the
    credential settings from the person in charge of the Network.
    Most Wireless connections are Not an open door that every one can barge in
    uninvited.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 31, 2008
  4. DBruceM2

    DBruceM2 Guest

    Jack,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I completely understand what you're saying about barging in, but these
    are all networks in which she has been cleared to connect to or are
    simply public hot-spots in an airport... furthermore, a small number
    appear as un-secured connections. This tells me no WEP or WPA is
    enabled. Sure there could be MAC filtering set up, but for the sites/
    hotspots she's visiting, it's highly improbable that this has been
    implemented. Many of these sites (doctors offices), the user has
    been given permission to access the wireless network. In several
    cases, she has been given the WEP key (where applicable). The offices
    know that she's there and need her to use the wireless. As for the
    public airport connections, any user would need to grab an IP on the
    wireless network before they can hit their respective log-in portal
    pages and/or https site to enter any credentials or credit-card info.
    It is these kind of hotspots that have me puzzled. I'm willing to
    concede that perhaps these hotspots are down for a day here and there,
    but the issue is that it's the same airports and offices... and this
    has been happening for over a month.

    Jim,
    I'll see if I can get her to send me some screenshots of the /all
    command. Is there anything peculiar I should be looking for?

    DBruceM2, Jan 31, 2008
  5. DBruceM2

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jan 31, 2008
  6. Hi
    I doubt that a solution can be found without knowing the specific parameters
    of the Networks that she cannot connect to.
    Many closed Network can appear on the screen as opened (insecure) but you
    can log on unless you know a certain sequence given by IT,
    WEP key if given in a form of passphrase might not work (
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep ).
    Could be that the computer's Firewall, or Host file block certain subnets,
    in "desperation" I would uninstall the 3rd party Firewall too.
    I would start in a small office (like a medical office where I can interact
    easily with other people the use the network) bring with me a second laptop
    (or at least disable the internal wireless and try a PCMCIA card) and ask
    about the office's IP and the specific parameters of the Network.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 31, 2008