Connected but no Internet?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jaxim, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. Jaxim

    Jaxim Guest

    I'm very new to WIFI so excuse my newbie question.

    I was able to connect to an unsecure public WIFI access point around my
    neighborhood and connect to the Internet (aka surf via a web browser).
    But just recently, I'm no longer able to connect to the Internet, even
    though it says I'm connected to the access point.

    Also, it appears that I am sending and receiving packets (whatever that
    means). The number of packets I am receiving is FAR FEWER than the ones
    that I am sending. (I'm not sure if this was the case when I was able
    to connect to the Internet with this particular access point. Probably
    not.)

    I've tried to access this public access point through my desktop (via
    USB network adapter) and my laptop (via internal WIFI card). When I
    take my laptop in range of another public access point, it is able to
    connect and access the Internet just fine. So something is screwy with
    this particular access point.

    Why am I able to connect to this public access point, but not able to
    access the Internet? Is there a way I can troubleshoot and change my
    settings so I can still access this access point?

    thanks in advance!
    Jaxim, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Jaxim

    Dave Guest

    maybe the owner of the access point doesn't like you using it? unsecured
    doesn't necessarily mean 'public'. but if it is really a free public
    service then check with their tech support, they should be able to test from
    the other end and see what your problem is.

    Dave, Sep 8, 2005

  3. Jaxim

    Jaxim Guest

    How am I able to tell if the owner of the access point "does not like
    me"?

    1) Seriously, can you explain why I am able to connect to the access
    point but not access the Internet?
    2) If the owner has indeed closed the access point, then why can I
    still connect to it?
    3) How can I verify ON MY COMPUTER if the access point has been closed?

    Can someone answer these 3 questions? Again, thanks in advance and
    sorry for such newbie questions!!
    Jaxim, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Jaxim

    Dave Guest

    1. no, there are a lot of possible reasons
    2. the owner didn't close the wireless side because he wants to track you
    down?
    3. you can't.

    Dave, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Jaxim

    Jaxim Guest

    >> can you explain why I am able to connect to the access
    >> point but not access the Internet?

    >1. no, there are a lot of possible reasons

    What are the possible reasons? If you don't wish to go into detail,
    then can you please provide a brief explanation of the possible reasons
    so I may troubleshoot them.

    >2. the owner didn't close the wireless side because he wants to track you down?

    I doubt that this is what the owner is doing. If he wanted to track me
    down, then he should keep the Internet up and then track me. But how
    can he do this? Conversily, how can I track him down to ask him about
    his access point?

    >> 3) How can I verify ON MY COMPUTER if the access point has been closed?

    > 3. you can't.

    I find that amazing that you can't do this. I guess this question is
    related to #1: How can you allow people to connect to your access point
    but at the same time not allow them to access the Internet? There's got
    to be a way to diagnose what MAY have changed so now I can't access the
    Internet thru this access point.
    Jaxim, Sep 8, 2005
  6. Jaxim

    Dave Guest

    possibilities...
    1. he unplugged the internet connection
    2. his internet connection is broke
    3. he changed the ip address range so your address won't work
    4. he changed routing so your address won't work
    5. he put in some other firewall that won't pass your connection either by
    ip or mac or host name
    6. mac filter? i'm not sure if you would connect if this was turned on or
    not.
    there are probably more, those come to mind off the top of my head. but if
    you can't identify the owner by the name of the access point then he
    probably isn't interested in having others use it or he would want you to
    know who was providing it.

    Dave, Sep 8, 2005
  7. Jaxim

    Jaxim Guest

    thanks, Dave.

    On a related point, if I were to create my own wireless access point,
    and I wish to share it and keep it open, how would I go about limiting
    what people can do with the connection?

    (For example, how can I stop them from accessing P2P networks? Or
    accessing some specific pornographic sites)
    Jaxim, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Jaxim

    Dave Guest

    get a good router that provides filters for options like that.

    Dave, Sep 8, 2005
  9. Jaxim

    Jaxim Guest

    Thanks, Dave! I'm new to the WIFI world this month, so I really
    appreciate your help in this matter.

    If anyone else wants to add their 2 cents on this subject, feel free to
    add your comments here as I am sure it would benefit all newbies like
    me. Thanks!
    Jaxim, Sep 8, 2005
  10. Jaxim

    SATech Guest

    Jaxim, Can you get a valid IP Address from the Access Point?
    SATech, Sep 9, 2005