Connected, but always "Acquiring Network Address"

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by mlowrie@vendetta.ca, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I've done some searching about this, but haven't been able to find any
    resolution but I have come across something interesting.

    Here's the layout:
    Laptop with wireless card
    Linksys WRT54G operating as an access point
    Separate firewall that runs DHCP for entire network
    Multiple computers and peripherals on network that obtain address and
    such from DHCP server (no other wireless connections though)

    Here's the situation:
    Boot up laptop
    Wireless connects to WRT54G and starts to obtain IP address from DHCP
    server - DHCP server on the wireless router is disabled
    Obtains IP address and DNS/WINS from DHCP - but still states "acquiring
    IP address"
    I can access everything that my network offers via the wireless
    connection but no matter how long the system is running, it will always
    say "Acquiring network address" and the animated icon in the system
    tray does it's little animation.

    Upon looking around for possible misconfigurations, I came across this:
    Wireless connected but is still "Acquiring network address"
    Go to control panel, network connections, and select properties for
    wireless connection
    Without changing anything, click ok
    Suddenly, the wireless client is "Connected"

    So.... anyone know what could be going on? Even though I don't change
    any settings, clicking on OK seems to fix the problem for the current
    session (until wireless disconnects).

    Anyone else with this problem - can you replicate this?

    Mike
    , Dec 6, 2006

  2. Hi
    I do not have a direct answer to the specific problem, but I can describe
    what I would do if I have such problem.
    I would disconnect the Linksys from the first Router, enable its DHCP, and
    see if I can maintain normal Wireless connection between the Wireless
    computers and the Linksys on it own (I.e. the Wireless client would obtain
    an IP and would "calm" down). If the same issue, as described by you,
    persists with the Wireless Router only. I would uninstall and reinstall the
    Wireless components of my Network.
    If the Wireless works OK with the Linksys on its own I would make sure the
    Wireless Router is configured as is should in order to act as a passive
    Access Point.
    The Wireless WRT54G core IP should be on the same subnet as the first
    Router.
    The Wireless Router WAN should be left open and the device should be
    connected through a regular port to a regular port on the first Router
    (using crossover cable if the ports are not MDX).
    The Linksys Wireless DHCP should be turned Off.
    If the introduction of the first Router while the Linksys act as a passive
    Access Point brings back the phenomenon, I would try replacing the first
    Router with another one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 7, 2006

  3. wxmark

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I Finally Found A Solution!!

    After spending 4 hours ( 2 of them on the phone with linksys support) trying to fix this problem I finally got it work.

    I finally was able to acquire the IP address by changing the routers encyption to WEP setting and by changing the signal to N only, instead of mixed.

    Good luck.
    wxmark, Aug 5, 2007