Connect two pc's, how?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by \Piedmont\, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. \Piedmont\

    \Piedmont\ Guest

    I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run either
    one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to the
    other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one runs 98
    the other ME.

    Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it easier
    to switch between the two.

    Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?

    Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
    entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is much
    faster.

    Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then have
    the gateway available to play tv, etc.

    I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother board
    put into the old gateway.

    I'm up for all suggestions.

    Mike AW.

    \Piedmont\, Sep 22, 2004

  2. \Piedmont\

    Brian Guest

    ""Piedmont"" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run either
    > one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to the
    > other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one runs

    98
    > the other ME.
    >
    > Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it easier
    > to switch between the two.
    >
    > Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
    >
    > Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
    > entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is much
    > faster.
    >
    > Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then

    have
    > the gateway available to play tv, etc.
    >
    > I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother board
    > put into the old gateway.
    >
    > I'm up for all suggestions.
    >
    > Mike AW.

    get a kvm switch...
    example at 79$
    http://www.kvmoutlet.com/page/KO/PROD/kvm-si-sv/CY-SV200PS2-AM

    Brian, Sep 22, 2004

  3. \Piedmont\

    John \O\ Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > ""Piedmont"" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run

    either
    > > one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to

    the
    > > other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one runs

    > 98
    > > the other ME.
    > >
    > > Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it

    easier
    > > to switch between the two.
    > >
    > > Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
    > >
    > > Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
    > > entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is

    much
    > > faster.
    > >
    > > Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then

    > have
    > > the gateway available to play tv, etc.
    > >
    > > I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother

    board
    > > put into the old gateway.
    > >
    > > I'm up for all suggestions.
    > >
    > > Mike AW.
    > >

    > get a kvm switch...
    > example at 79$
    > http://www.kvmoutlet.com/page/KO/PROD/kvm-si-sv/CY-SV200PS2-AM

    What !!! They're £25 where I live.

    JJ

    John \O\, Sep 22, 2004
  4. \Piedmont\

    Brian Guest

    "John "O"" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > ""Piedmont"" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run

    > either
    > > > one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to

    > the
    > > > other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one

    runs
    > > 98
    > > > the other ME.
    > > >
    > > > Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it

    > easier
    > > > to switch between the two.
    > > >
    > > > Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
    > > >
    > > > Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
    > > > entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is

    > much
    > > > faster.
    > > >
    > > > Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then

    > > have
    > > > the gateway available to play tv, etc.
    > > >
    > > > I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother

    > board
    > > > put into the old gateway.
    > > >
    > > > I'm up for all suggestions.
    > > >
    > > > Mike AW.
    > > >

    > > get a kvm switch...
    > > example at 79$
    > > http://www.kvmoutlet.com/page/KO/PROD/kvm-si-sv/CY-SV200PS2-AM
    > >

    > What !!! They're £25 where I live.
    >
    > JJ

    I bet there are some cheaper ones (depends on make, performance etc.) around
    but i wasn't looking for myself it was just an example so the OP would know
    what it is, roughly how it works and an insight to an "average" price.. 43
    pounds/79 dollars for a single user switch.

    Brian, Sep 22, 2004
  5. \Piedmont\

    David Guest

    Get a KVM switch.

    David

    David, Sep 22, 2004
  6. \Piedmont\

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "\"Piedmont\"" <> wrote in

    > I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run
    > either one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from
    > one to the other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other
    > 1.2, one runs 98 the other ME.
    >
    > Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it
    > easier to switch between the two.
    >
    > Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
    >
    > Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
    > entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is
    > much faster.
    >
    > Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then
    > have the gateway available to play tv, etc.
    >
    > I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother
    > board put into the old gateway.
    >
    > I'm up for all suggestions.
    >
    > Mike AW.

    Belkin has a KMV switch for about $30.00 at www.TigerDirect.com. It works
    like a champ.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 23, 2004
  7. \Piedmont\

    Volund Guest

    ""Piedmont"" <> wrote in message
    > I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run either
    > one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to the
    > other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one runs

    98
    > the other ME.
    >
    > Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it easier
    > to switch between the two.
    >
    > Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
    >
    > Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
    > entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is much
    > faster.
    >
    > Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then

    have
    > the gateway available to play tv, etc.
    >
    > I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother board
    > put into the old gateway.
    >
    > I'm up for all suggestions.
    >
    > Mike AW.

    To control two or more pc's using 1 mouse 1 keyboard and 1 Monitor use a KVM
    Switch 2 port or more.
    To share files and internet connection you will need 2 NICs and x-over
    network cable.

    HTH

    Volund

    ---
    "There is nothing permanent except change." Heraclitus

    Volund, Sep 24, 2004