    am plugged in to the wired network, but because the wireless connection
    doesn't occur until after login, it is messing things up. Thanks in advance.
    Jason
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24gUnlvbg==?=, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Hi Jason,

    The Windows Wireless client program (Windows Zero Config or WZC) does indeed
    automatically connect prior to the user logging on in most cases.
    Basically, there are 2 cases in which the behavior changes most
    significantly:

    1) The wireless connection has not been configured to use 802.1x
    authentication. This is the usual home scenario/setup.
    2) The wireless connection has been configured to use 802.1x
    authentication. This is the usual enterprise scenario/setup.

    In the first case, assuming the connection has been configured correctly at
    some point (e.g. the authentication and encryption settings correctly match
    the settings of the network in question), then with regards to initiating,
    maintaining, or terminating the connection, WZC does not differentiate
    between whether the user is logged on or logged off.

    In the second case, it gets more complicated. WZC does take note of whether
    the user is logged on or logged off. In the most typical deployment cases,
    when the user logs off, WZC tries to connect using machine credentials, and
    when the user logs on, WZC tries to connect using user credentials. So, it
    is possible that a given machine may not have valid credentials to
    successfully pass 802.1x authentication, and only the user on that machine
    has valid credentials once he/she logs on. In such a case, WZC will fail to
    connect in the logged off state and no further attempts to connect will be
    made until the user logs on.

    So I am supposing that your environment is a typical enterprise setup with a
    RADIUS servers and 802.1x authentication being used. The next step I would
    take is making sure your machine(s) have valid credentials for the domain.

    Peter Bui[MS], Jan 26, 2005