    Suggestions welcome.
    Thanks

    XP Pro, AMD 2200, Cable Modem etc

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Usenet-IS-Fun

    °Mike° Guest

    A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:35:13 +0100, in
    <c56mt0$pn7$>
    Usenet-IS-Fun scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Palindrome Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!

    Oh, it was only a typing mistake - should have been, "..I live a 9 hour
    drive from THE home.".

    Palindrome, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Mike Fleming Guest

    using port 80 alone is unikely to get you through a proxy. You need to use
    http tuneling over port 80. I did this once using a product called
    remotelyAnywhere by 3am labs i think which is a web based remote access type
    thing but **** me was it s l o w. was ok to view home for email etc

    lety me know if you find something better

    Mike Fleming, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Hywel Guest

    In article <c56mt0$pn7$>,
    says...
    > Hi Group
    >
    > I work for a firm with rather over zealous IT Nazi's and would like to be able
    > to connect to my home PC from work. This way I can check my e-mail both POP
    > and HTTP, queue p2p and have general access as I live a 9 hour drive from
    > home.

    Considering I can get from Hereford to Aberdeen in 8 hours, you live a
    bloody long way from your house.

    Why not just queue everything up before you go to work, forget about
    your email until the evening, and keep your job?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Apr 9, 2004
  6. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    :

    I guess your geography is a little rusty. When was the last time you drove
    from Brighton to Glasgow? Ok it was bank holiday and my motor is old but it'll
    still do 90 but just try to do over 60 along the A303 or A415 or M5/M6 or
    M6/M62 or M6/M55 etc etc

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  7. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Hamman Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!

    driven through central london recenty? ;-)

    hamman

    Hamman, Apr 9, 2004
  8. Usenet-IS-Fun

    PuddleNuts Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!

    How sad is that to assume everyone is from the UK.

    --
    When you played in the sandbox as a kid, did cats keep trying to bury you?

    PuddleNuts, Apr 9, 2004
  9. "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    : In article <c56mt0$pn7$>,
    : says...
    : > Hi Group
    : >
    : > I work for a firm with rather over zealous IT Nazi's and would like to be
    able
    : > to connect to my home PC from work. This way I can check my e-mail both
    POP
    : > and HTTP, queue p2p and have general access as I live a 9 hour drive from
    : > home.
    :
    : Considering I can get from Hereford to Aberdeen in 8 hours, you live a
    : bloody long way from your house.

    I do indeed. That's a pretty good result ... you got a jet?
    I share a pad in Brighton and live in Winchester during the week but my actual
    house is in Glasgow.
    Granted I did travel cross country at 5.30pm (this Thursday) to miss the
    M23/M25 but the best I've managed even from Winchester is 7.5 hrs that said I
    always end up travelling peak times cos' of my job and have you seen the new
    cameras on the M6 that calculate your average speed over a distance?

    : Why not just queue everything up before you go to work, forget about
    : your email until the evening, and keep your job?

    I only get back to Glasgow every 4-6 weeks and haven't committed to relocation
    so don't have a phone line and mobiles are too expensive for net access
    although Orange were offering a decent deal a few weeks ago ... I digress

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  10. "Mike Fleming" <michael_r_fleming@****yahoo.com> wrote in message
    : using port 80 alone is unikely to get you through a proxy. You need to use
    : http tuneling over port 80. I did this once using a product called
    : remotelyAnywhere by 3am labs i think which is a web based remote access type
    : thing but **** me was it s l o w. was ok to view home for email etc

    Thanks. I had a feeling that would be the case about a proxy but you've
    possibly hit on the best solution which is to subscribe to a provider of web
    based remote access although I'd prefer a free solution. I'll give it a try
    assuming I'm not circumventing any existing safeguards of my employer by
    tunnelling.

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  11. "PuddleNuts" <> wrote in message
    : °Mike° wrote:
    :
    : > A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    :
    : How sad is that to assume everyone is from the UK.

    I assume he checked my header ;-)

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  12. "Hamman" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : news:407ae050.5355812@localhost...
    : > A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    : >
    : driven through central london recenty? ;-)

    Well said! I lived in Dagenham for a while and driving 110 mile to Winchester
    took around 3 hours peak and 2 hours off peak ... actually driving from
    Dagenham to Mile End peak (around 15 mile) took around 2 hours along the A13
    (fucked up road that one).

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  13. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Palindrome Guest

    You mean these: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004150977,00.html ?

    Palindrome, Apr 9, 2004
  14. Usenet-IS-Fun wrote:

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >: A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    >:

    > I guess your geography is a little rusty. When was the last time you drove
    > from Brighton to Glasgow? Ok it was bank holiday and my motor is old but it'll
    > still do 90 but just try to do over 60 along the A303 or A415 or M5/M6 or
    > M6/M62 or M6/M55 etc etc

    Math aside, I'm still trying to figure out how you live 9 hours from
    home.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 9, 2004
  15. Usenet-IS-Fun

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:56:30 +0100, in
    <c56s0b$2he$>
    Usenet-IS-Fun scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >: A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    >:
    >
    >I guess your geography is a little rusty. When was the last time you drove
    >from Brighton to Glasgow? Ok it was bank holiday and my motor is old but it'll
    >still do 90 but just try to do over 60 along the A303 or A415 or M5/M6 or
    >M6/M62 or M6/M55 etc etc

    My geography is not rusty at all. Brighton to Glasgow is
    about 450-460 miles; there's no way in hell it should take
    nine hours; I can do Glasgow to London in 6 hours (5 hours
    by train).

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  16. Usenet-IS-Fun

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:19:13 +0100, in
    <c56t0v$5in$>
    Usenet-IS-Fun scrawled:

    >"PuddleNuts" <> wrote in message
    >: °Mike° wrote:
    >:
    >: > A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    >:
    >: How sad is that to assume everyone is from the UK.
    >
    >I assume he checked my header ;-)

    Please don't feed the trollette.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  17. Usenet-IS-Fun

    PuddleNuts Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:19:13 +0100, in
    > <c56t0v$5in$>
    > Usenet-IS-Fun scrawled:
    >

    >>"PuddleNuts" <> wrote in message
    >>: °Mike° wrote:
    >>:
    >>: > A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    >>:
    >>: How sad is that to assume everyone is from the UK.
    >>
    >>I assume he checked my header ;-)

    > Please don't feed the trollette.

    How sad is that that he has the time to check everyone's header? He
    should be working on that lame-ass website!

    --
    When you played in the sandbox as a kid, did cats keep trying to bury you?

    PuddleNuts, Apr 9, 2004
  18. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Hamman Guest

    > "Hamman" <> wrote in message
    > :
    > : "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > : news:407ae050.5355812@localhost...
    > : > A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    > : >
    > : driven through central london recenty? ;-)
    >
    > Well said! I lived in Dagenham for a while and driving 110 mile to

    Winchester
    > took around 3 hours peak and 2 hours off peak ... actually driving from
    > Dagenham to Mile End peak (around 15 mile) took around 2 hours along the

    A13
    > (fucked up road that one).

    Install IIS and terminal services on your PC (assuming youre running XP
    Pro), located in 'add/remove windows components'

    then theres some settings somewhere to allow it to be used externally,
    somewhere in computer management > services >IIS

    now set a user account with a password to have remote access, right click my
    computer > remote access

    then from the work pc, do http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx/tsweb
    and in theory it should allow you to connect to your pc though remote
    desktop.

    and in theoery that should work, at least it does on server2k3 which is what
    i'm used to

    hamman

    Hamman, Apr 9, 2004
  19. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : >news:407ae050.5355812@localhost...
    : >: A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    : >
    : >I guess your geography is a little rusty. When was the last time you drove
    : >from Brighton to Glasgow? Ok it was bank holiday and my motor is old but
    it'll
    : >still do 90 but just try to do over 60 along the A303 or A415 or M5/M6 or
    : >M6/M62 or M6/M55 etc etc
    :
    : My geography is not rusty at all. Brighton to Glasgow is
    : about 450-460 miles; there's no way in hell it should take
    : nine hours; I can do Glasgow to London in 6 hours (5 hours
    : by train).

    Mike what can I say you own a jet, never seem to get snarled in traffic or
    have never actually been down the south coast. I lived in Dagenham for a while
    which is about 430 miles and motorway all the way and I've never managed it in
    less than 7 hours in recent years. I drive at a steady 80 maybe 90 sometimes
    when no congestion or cameras so 430/80 = ~5.5 hrs that's without stopping for
    petrol or traffic problems and when was the last time you were on any motorway
    and had a clean run. Anyway it takes *ME* around 9 hours from Brighton to
    Glasgow which is if I recollect around 470. That said if I travelled
    M23/M25/M40/M42/M6/M74/M73/M8 through the night then I guess 7 hours might at
    a stretch be do-able at around 80-90 mph so that's what I try to do ... I hope
    that's to your satisfaction ;-)

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  20. Usenet-IS-Fun

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 21:27:45 +0100, in
    <c5718c$f15$>
    Usenet-IS-Fun scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >: >news:407ae050.5355812@localhost...
    >: >: A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    >: >
    >: >I guess your geography is a little rusty. When was the last time you drove
    >: >from Brighton to Glasgow? Ok it was bank holiday and my motor is old but
    >it'll
    >: >still do 90 but just try to do over 60 along the A303 or A415 or M5/M6 or
    >: >M6/M62 or M6/M55 etc etc
    >:
    >: My geography is not rusty at all. Brighton to Glasgow is
    >: about 450-460 miles; there's no way in hell it should take
    >: nine hours; I can do Glasgow to London in 6 hours (5 hours
    >: by train).
    >
    >Mike what can I say you own a jet, never seem to get snarled in traffic or
    >have never actually been down the south coast. I lived in Dagenham for a while
    >which is about 430 miles and motorway all the way and I've never managed it in
    >less than 7 hours in recent years. I drive at a steady 80 maybe 90 sometimes
    >when no congestion or cameras so 430/80 = ~5.5 hrs that's without stopping for
    >petrol or traffic problems and when was the last time you were on any motorway
    >and had a clean run. Anyway it takes *ME* around 9 hours from Brighton to
    >Glasgow which is if I recollect around 470. That said if I travelled
    >M23/M25/M40/M42/M6/M74/M73/M8 through the night then I guess 7 hours might at
    >a stretch be do-able at around 80-90 mph so that's what I try to do ... I hope
    >that's to your satisfaction ;-)

    I apologise if I was appearing to question your veracity; that certainly
    wasn't my intention. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that
    my experience is MUCH different than yours -- my remarks were made
    in general disbelief in how long it takes *you*.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004