    password?

    Thanks
    Ciarán

    Cron, Nov 12, 2007

  2. "Cron" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    Hi does anyone know if this is possible using windows XP or even
    vista? Is there no way you can just lookup the IP and input the router
    password?

    Thanks
    Ciarán

    ******************************
    What are you trying to do, ie. remote access of shared files, remote
    access/control of a desktop with Remote Desktop or VNC?

    If its the latter and the home PC is running Vista Ultimate/Business or XP
    Pro/MCE you can use Remote Desktop. Here is some help for that...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RDP6ConfigRecommendations.html
    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

    If the home PC is running Vista Home (Premium or Basic) or XP Home then look
    at using VNC (any flavor). I always recommend UltraVNC with its encryption
    plug-in and mirror video driver.

    http://www.uvnc.com/

    If you want access to shared files on the home network you can setup a PPTP
    VPN server on Vista or XP.

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Vista/PPTP/PPTPVPN.html
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

    ....or use something like Secure Shell (SSH), which is my personal favorite.

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Ssh/SecureShell.html

    Other solutions include SSL-Explorer, OpenVPN or you could either flash a
    supported router with third-party firmware like DD-WRT or purchase a VPN
    end-point type router.

    Another solution, and one that I now use, is to setup a Windows Home Server
    so my remote family and I can access shared photos, files, etc via a SSL
    connection.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx

    In all cases to call the home network/server you can use the public IP of
    your router. An easy way to do this is to use a free dynamic name service
    from DynDNS or No-IP.com (or a similar service) that maps your home public
    IP (generally dynamically assigned by ISPs if your on a residential account)
    that maps a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) to your public IP. You then
    call home using the FQDN.

    http://www.dyndns.com
    http://www.no-ip.com

    Some home routers, like the current Belkin F5D7230-4 I use, include built-in
    support for DynDNS or No-IP.com. You just sign up for an account and
    configure the router for your login information. If your router does not
    support that then you can download and install a small program on one of
    your PCs that will contact the DynDNS or No-IP.com servers on a time
    scheduled basis. The server then know what your current IP is and map that
    to your FQDN. It works very well...

    So, if your specific as to what you want to do, your type if ISP (ie. cable,
    DSL, etc), what router you have (make and model) and what OS's your server
    and clients will run on others will be able to help you better...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Nov 12, 2007

  3. Hi
    May be this can Help. , http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 12, 2007
  4. Cron

    Cron Guest

    Hi Al Jarvi,
    Thanks a million for the detailed response! I was hoping it would be a
    simple process but from your post I can see that it's far from it!
    I've been looking at programs like logmein.com and other things like
    it but I think your suggestions sound a lot better.
    Thanks again anyway,
    Ciarán

    Cron, Nov 14, 2007