connect mac SE to OS X

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by michael, May 8, 2005.

  1. michael

    michael Guest

    Hi
    I want to get an old Mac SE working
    so my 6 yr old can use it.

    The SE has a 800mb floppy drive and hard drive
    with 4mb memory, and a network adapter.

    I've tried connecting via appletalk
    but the SE says that the server is using an
    incompatible AFP protocol.

    I dont have any other macs with floppy drives
    and my osx box does not have a FDD.

    The se is running 6.0.8

    I thought of putting 7.0.1 on it but I cannot
    get the software to the SE.
    I tried writing disks on my PC but the mac cant read
    them.

    Any ideas on how I can get this little old SE up
    and going for my Son??

    Anyone got some old 7.0.1 system disks they could
    either give or lend me?

    Thanks
    Michael.

    michael, May 8, 2005

  2. In <Kpcfe.4638$> michael wrote:
    > Hi
    > I want to get an old Mac SE working
    > so my 6 yr old can use it.
    >
    > The SE has a 800mb floppy drive and hard drive
    > with 4mb memory, and a network adapter.
    >
    > I've tried connecting via appletalk
    > but the SE says that the server is using an
    > incompatible AFP protocol.
    >
    > I dont have any other macs with floppy drives
    > and my osx box does not have a FDD.
    >
    > The se is running 6.0.8
    >
    > I thought of putting 7.0.1 on it but I cannot
    > get the software to the SE.
    > I tried writing disks on my PC but the mac cant read
    > them.
    >
    > Any ideas on how I can get this little old SE up
    > and going for my Son??
    >
    > Anyone got some old 7.0.1 system disks they could
    > either give or lend me?

    I've got older Macs here that can write 800KB disks for you. Apple have
    System 7.0 800KB disk images available on their site (the 7.0.1 download
    is on 1.4MB images). System 7 is a lot bigger than System 6 though, and
    it comes on 8 disks, plus another disk for the System 7 Tune-Up. Email
    me (my address is valid) if you'd like some disks made.

    What version of Mac OS X are you running? I think 10.3 dropped support
    for older versions of the AppleTalk protocol, but you can connect the
    other way around i.e. turn on filesharing on the old Mac and connect to
    it from the Mac OS X Mac. 10.4 is even worse in that it will only
    connect via AppleTalk over TCP/IP, which requires Mac OS 9 or later.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, May 8, 2005