Connect DVDR, VCR and cable box to old TV

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Fantus, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Fantus

    Fantus

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Montreal
    Hey,

    I’m a fan of old and unusual movies, of which I have an extensive collection on VHS tapes. I’m also semi-retired and funds are quite limited. I budgeted and, last week, finally sprang for a DVD recorder. The salesperson assured me that it would work with the equipment I already have.

    It doesn’t. The store is willing to take back the unit, but no one can advise me. I’ve had similar ill-luck with my cable provider. I’m wondering if you might be able to help? I’ve spent hours googling on the net, and although I now have some ideas, I still don’t know what to do.

    This is what I’ve got:

    An old but good TV with a single coaxial (75 ohm) connector
    A cable box (Explorer 2000)
    A fairly recent VCR (Sony SLV-N77)
    My new DVD recorder, a Toshiba D-RW2
    My cable service is digital.

    My old configuration worked very well with the above equipment (substitute a DVD player for the DVD recorder). This is how it was set up:

    Splitter to incoming coaxial cable; one coax to cable box IN, one to VCR IN
    Coaxial cable from TV to VCR OUT
    Cable box Video and Audio OUT to VCR IN
    VCR Video and Audio OUT to DVD IN
    With this configuration I used the VCR remote to switch from L1 (to record on the VCR) to L2 (to watch movies on the DVD player). I used the cable box remote to switch stations and control volume. This configuration does not work with the new DVD recorder.

    I’ve read that an RF modulator might solve the problem – but I’ve also read that it might decrease the picture quality. I’ve also read conflicting and confusing advice on how to connect the various cables/devices to an RF modulator.

    I just want something that works with both the VCR and the DVD recorder, as I plan to transfer my tapes to DVD. I’m willing to exchange the DVD recorder for another model in the same price range ($200. Canadian). I’m willing to invest in an inexpensive RF modulator if picture and audio quality won’t be too compromised – and if I know how to use it. I’m also willing to give up the ability to watch an analog program while recording, even though that is a nice feature.

    Thanks!
    Marie
    Fantus, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Fantus

    alex4444

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Please see this webpage for answers and diagrams:
    columbiaisa.50webs.com/vcr_and_cable_hookup_diagrams.htm
    alex4444, Jan 17, 2011