Connect Catalyst 2924 to Linksys Router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by GNY, Jun 25, 2007.

  1. GNY

    GNY Guest

    Greets to the list ..

    I have a catalyst 2924xk running IOS 12.0.5(wC17) that woks fine
    (connecting to the inet) when I configure vlan 1 and plug all lan
    devices in. When i plug the devices into say vlan 100 they can all
    ping each other, but cannot access the internet.

    Because the devices can access the inet when plug into the vlan 1
    ports (8-24), its fair to say all m NET dependent configurations are
    accurate. Configuring the vlans, is even easier; there is no ip to
    assign and i use the "switchport mode access vlan 100" command inside
    the interface.

    I have tried plugging the deices directly to the switch and pluggin
    the switchport to another dell "passive" switch; no trunking needed i
    assume.

    So what seperates vlan 1 from other created vlans and using the
    switchport command do that these other vlans cannot access the inet.

    Typical concerns:
    - Gateway is set correctly, its the linksys ip address
    - IP addesss on te switch is set.
    - 2924 ports have been put into access mode
    - 2924 is plugged into one of the router switch (4 available) ports.
    - I have tried using straight through and cross-over cables

    Where am i going wrong here? Or can this switch NOT be used with a
    typical home router like the linksys?

    Thanks in advance..

    GNY
    GNY, Jun 25, 2007

  2. GNY

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jun 25, 6:16 am, GNY <> wrote:
    > Greets to the list ..
    >
    > I have a catalyst 2924xk running IOS 12.0.5(wC17) that woks fine
    > (connecting to the inet) when I configure vlan 1 and plug all lan
    > devices in. When i plug the devices into say vlan 100 they can all
    > ping each other, but cannot access the internet.
    >
    > Because the devices can access the inet when plug into the vlan 1
    > ports (8-24), its fair to say all m NET dependent configurations are
    > accurate. Configuring the vlans, is even easier; there is no ip to
    > assign and i use the "switchport mode access vlan 100" command inside
    > the interface.
    >
    > I have tried plugging the deices directly to the switch and pluggin
    > the switchport to another dell "passive" switch; no trunking needed i
    > assume.
    >
    > So what seperates vlan 1 from other created vlans and using the
    > switchport command do that these other vlans cannot access the inet.
    >
    > Typical concerns:
    > - Gateway is set correctly, its the linksys ip address
    > - IP addesss on te switch is set.
    > - 2924 ports have been put into access mode
    > - 2924 is plugged into one of the router switch (4 available) ports.
    > - I have tried using straight through and cross-over cables
    >
    > Where am i going wrong here? Or can this switch NOT be used with a
    > typical home router like the linksys?
    >
    > Thanks in advance..
    >
    > GNY

    It all depends what VLAN the router is in (in regards to access
    ports). If you place ALL ports into VLAN 100, including the router,
    this will work. If the router is not in VLAN 100, then it will not
    work as the clients will be in a VLAN that has no router as a default
    route. Unless your linksys supports trunking, and you place IPs in
    both VLANs on the router and trunk the VLANs back to the switch, this
    will never work. If the switch supports routing itself, you can place
    an IP address in VLAN 100 and ensure that routing is enabled, but I'm
    fairly certain the 2924 will not support this. Now technically you
    could probably place two connections from the linksys, one into an
    access port in vlan 1, and one into an access port in vlan 100, and it
    should work. The only caveat here is that they hosts on VLAN 1 may
    have trouble talking to hosts on VLAN 100. Technically it should
    traverse the router and work, but direct broadcasts will not work.
    Trendkill, Jun 25, 2007

  3. GNY

    GNY Guest

    Trendkill wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 6:16 am, GNY <> wrote:
    > > Greets to the list ..
    > >
    > > I have a catalyst 2924xk running IOS 12.0.5(wC17) that woks fine
    > > (connecting to the inet) when I configure vlan 1 and plug all lan
    > > devices in. When i plug the devices into say vlan 100 they can all
    > > ping each other, but cannot access the internet.
    > >
    > > Because the devices can access the inet when plug into the vlan 1
    > > ports (8-24), its fair to say all m NET dependent configurations are
    > > accurate. Configuring the vlans, is even easier; there is no ip to
    > > assign and i use the "switchport mode access vlan 100" command inside
    > > the interface.
    > >
    > > I have tried plugging the deices directly to the switch and pluggin
    > > the switchport to another dell "passive" switch; no trunking needed i
    > > assume.
    > >
    > > So what seperates vlan 1 from other created vlans and using the
    > > switchport command do that these other vlans cannot access the inet.
    > >
    > > Typical concerns:
    > > - Gateway is set correctly, its the linksys ip address
    > > - IP addesss on te switch is set.
    > > - 2924 ports have been put into access mode
    > > - 2924 is plugged into one of the router switch (4 available) ports.
    > > - I have tried using straight through and cross-over cables
    > >
    > > Where am i going wrong here? Or can this switch NOT be used with a
    > > typical home router like the linksys?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance..
    > >
    > > GNY

    > It all depends what VLAN the router is in (in regards to access
    > ports). If you place ALL ports into VLAN 100, including the router,
    > this will work. If the router is not in VLAN 100, then it will not
    > work as the clients will be in a VLAN that has no router as a default
    > route. Unless your linksys supports trunking, and you place IPs in
    > both VLANs on the router and trunk the VLANs back to the switch, this
    > will never work. If the switch supports routing itself, you can place
    > an IP address in VLAN 100 and ensure that routing is enabled, but I'm
    > fairly certain the 2924 will not support this. Now technically you
    > could probably place two connections from the linksys, one into an
    > access port in vlan 1, and one into an access port in vlan 100, and it
    > should work. The only caveat here is that they hosts on VLAN 1 may
    > have trouble talking to hosts on VLAN 100. Technically it should
    > traverse the router and work, but direct broadcasts will not work.

    thanks for the info.. this is what I thought.

    I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
    could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
    statement makes it clear this won't work.

    as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
    I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
    vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
    home personal network; nothing major.

    if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
    I can't seem to do that.

    thanks for your help though!

    GNY
    GNY, Jun 25, 2007
  4. GNY

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jun 25, 11:39 am, GNY <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > access port in vlan 1, and one into an access port in vlan 100, and it
    > > should work. The only caveat here is that they hosts on VLAN 1 may
    > > have trouble talking to hosts on VLAN 100. Technically it should
    > > traverse the router and work, but direct broadcasts will not work.

    > thanks for the info.. this is what I thought.
    >
    > I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
    > could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
    > statement makes it clear this won't work.
    >
    > as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
    > I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
    > vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
    > home personal network; nothing major.
    >
    > if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?

    It would have to be a layer 3 switch, which I don't think the 2900
    does. A 3550 or 60 would provide this functionality, allowing you to
    put IPs on ports as well as route between VLANs which would solve your
    issue. But with your hardware, you are limited without additional
    router interfaces/connections.
    Trendkill, Jun 25, 2007
  5. GNY <> writes:
    >I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
    >could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
    >statement makes it clear this won't work.

    No, not on a layer-2 switch. You could do VLAN trunk'ing, but I doubt
    the linksys supports vlan trunks.

    >as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
    >I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
    >vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
    >home personal network; nothing major.

    One thing to note in Cisco switches. VLAN 1 is special. This is the
    default 'native' vlan, in which all traffic comes out untagged on VLAN 1.

    I don't think this affects you much at all in your setup, but it may.

    >if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
    >I can't seem to do that.

    Get a layer-3 switch. A layer-2 switch isn't going to allow you.

    Or, add a router capable of doing VLAN trunking.
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 25, 2007
  6. GNY

    GNY Guest

    On Jun 25, 11:58 am, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 11:39 am, GNY <> wrote:
    >

    > > Trendkill wrote:

    > > > It all depends what VLAN the router is in (in regards to access
    > > > ports). If you place ALL ports into VLAN 100, including the router,
    > > > this will work. If the router is not in VLAN 100, then it will not
    > > > work as the clients will be in a VLAN that has no router as a default
    > > > route. Unless your linksys supports trunking, and you place IPs in
    > > > both VLANs on the router and trunk the VLANs back to the switch, this
    > > > will never work. If the switch supports routing itself, you can place
    > > > an IP address in VLAN 100 and ensure that routing is enabled, but I'm
    > > > fairly certain the 2924 will not support this. Now technically you
    > > > could probably place two connections from the linksys, one into an
    > > > access port in vlan 1, and one into an access port in vlan 100, and it
    > > > should work. The only caveat here is that they hosts on VLAN 1 may
    > > > have trouble talking to hosts on VLAN 100. Technically it should
    > > > traverse the router and work, but direct broadcasts will not work.

    > > thanks for the info.. this is what I thought.

    > > I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
    > > could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
    > > statement makes it clear this won't work.

    > > as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
    > > I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
    > > vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
    > > home personal network; nothing major.

    > > if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
    > > I can't seem to do that.

    > > thanks for your help though!

    > > GNY

    > It would have to be a layer 3 switch, which I don't think the 2900
    > does. A 3550 or 60 would provide this functionality, allowing you to
    > put IPs on ports as well as route between VLANs which would solve your
    > issue. But with your hardware, you are limited without additional
    > router interfaces/connections.

    Ok thanks for the recommendation ..
    GNY, Jun 25, 2007
  7. GNY

    GNY Guest

    On Jun 25, 11:59 am, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > GNY <> writes:
    > >I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
    > >could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
    > >statement makes it clear this won't work.

    > No, not on a layer-2 switch. You could do VLAN trunk'ing, but I doubt
    > the linksys supports vlan trunks.
    >
    > >as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
    > >I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
    > >vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
    > >home personal network; nothing major.

    > One thing to note in Cisco switches. VLAN 1 is special. This is the
    > default 'native' vlan, in which all traffic comes out untagged on VLAN 1.
    >
    > I don't think this affects you much at all in your setup, but it may.
    >
    > >if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
    > >I can't seem to do that.

    > Get a layer-3 switch. A layer-2 switch isn't going to allow you.
    >
    > Or, add a router capable of doing VLAN trunking.

    Yep.. I understnd about the vlan 1 native behavior .. The question is
    would be Trendkill's suggestion work?

    Thanks for the help.. ill come back if this does not work.. :)
    GNY, Jun 25, 2007
  8. GNY

    GNY Guest

    On Jun 25, 11:59 am, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > GNY <> writes:
    > >I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
    > >could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
    > >statement makes it clear this won't work.

    > No, not on a layer-2 switch. You could do VLAN trunk'ing, but I doubt
    > the linksys supports vlan trunks.
    >
    > >as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
    > >I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
    > >vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
    > >home personal network; nothing major.

    > One thing to note in Cisco switches. VLAN 1 is special. This is the
    > default 'native' vlan, in which all traffic comes out untagged on VLAN 1.
    >
    > I don't think this affects you much at all in your setup, but it may.
    >
    > >if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
    > >I can't seem to do that.

    > Get a layer-3 switch. A layer-2 switch isn't going to allow you.
    >
    > Or, add a router capable of doing VLAN trunking.

    Given my configuration can I use different ip address ranges for each
    vlan?

    Example:
    vlan 100 = 192.168.1.0/24
    vlan 200 = 10.1.25.0/24
    GNY, Jun 26, 2007
  9. GNY

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jun 26, 11:21 am, GNY <> wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 11:59 am, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    >

    > > GNY <> writes:
    > > >I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
    > > >could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
    > > >statement makes it clear this won't work.

    > > No, not on a layer-2 switch. You could do VLAN trunk'ing, but I doubt
    > > the linksys supports vlan trunks.

    > > >as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
    > > >I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
    > > >vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
    > > >home personal network; nothing major.

    > > One thing to note in Cisco switches. VLAN 1 is special. This is the
    > > default 'native' vlan, in which all traffic comes out untagged on VLAN 1.

    > > I don't think this affects you much at all in your setup, but it may.

    > > >if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
    > > >I can't seem to do that.

    > > Get a layer-3 switch. A layer-2 switch isn't going to allow you.

    > > Or, add a router capable of doing VLAN trunking.

    > Given my configuration can I use different ip address ranges for each
    > vlan?
    >
    > Example:
    > vlan 100 = 192.168.1.0/24
    > vlan 200 = 10.1.25.0/24

    Technically you probably have to in the routing world, as you can't
    assign the same range to two different interfaces on the same router.
    And even if you could, it would not be advised unless you know exactly
    what you are doing and what is what. I won't say there is 'no' reason
    to do it, but there would be very few, if any, reasons to have two
    different vlans with the same address ranges.
    Trendkill, Jun 26, 2007
  10. GNY

    GNY Guest

    On Jun 26, 11:25 am, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 11:21 am, GNY <> wrote:

    > > > No, not on a layer-2 switch. You could do VLAN trunk'ing, but I doubt
    > > > the linksys supports vlan trunks.

    > > > One thing to note in Cisco switches. VLAN 1 is special. This is the
    > > > default 'native' vlan, in which all traffic comes out untagged on VLAN 1.

    > > > I don't think this affects you much at all in your setup, but it may.

    > > > Get a layer-3 switch. A layer-2 switch isn't going to allow you.

    > > > Or, add a router capable of doing VLAN trunking.

    > > Given my configuration can I use different ip address ranges for each
    > > vlan?

    > > Example:
    > > vlan 100 = 192.168.1.0/24
    > > vlan 200 = 10.1.25.0/24

    > Technically you probably have to in the routing world, as you can't
    > assign the same range to two different interfaces on the same router.
    > And even if you could, it would not be advised unless you know exactly
    > what you are doing and what is what. I won't say there is 'no' reason
    > to do it, but there would be very few, if any, reasons to have two
    > different vlans with the same address ranges.

    Hey Trendkill ..

    Thanks for answering my question.

    I tried plugging each of the vlan ports 100&200 into a port on the
    linksys switch and i got a native vlan mismatch error first and oddly
    both vlans were able to talk to eachother. I'm guessing due to the
    linksys ports not being vlan enabled it puts them all into one vlan/
    network.

    So I think overall i need a router capable of doing the vlans. due to
    my example of what i did and wanting to use differnet ip ranges. the
    router is set to use say 192.168.1.0/24 and isnt aware of any clients
    using the 10.1.25.0/24 address and the switch is configured with a
    192.168.1.0/24 ip address.

    I think through trial and error i have figured it out. I do have 2
    other linksys routers that i could use to work my way around, by
    plugging them in after the witch, assigning the appropriate lan
    addresses and plugging into the linksys router going into the cable
    modem, but then again; these networks would then be all on the same
    network theoretically due to the top level router not capable of doing
    vlans or seperating ports. so you could change the ip of one of the
    workstations on one vlan to the ip of the other and might be able to
    access that network.. maybe im wrong here..

    hmm .. ebay has some great cheap devices .. what would you recommend
    to achieve what im looking to do?

    What im looking to do is more then what I have posted here. I would
    like to use like a 2514 to connect to my cable modem and have those 2
    vlan networks on different network ranges.

    Simple enough :) I know how to work with the devices (routers and
    switches) fully, but designing and the architecture is where i fall
    short.

    Suggestions on devices?

    Thanks again..

    GNY
    GNY, Jun 26, 2007
  11. GNY

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jun 26, 11:50 am, GNY <> wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 11:25 am, Trendkill <> wrote:

    > > > Given my configuration can I use different ip address ranges for each
    > > > vlan?

    > > > Example:
    > > > vlan 100 = 192.168.1.0/24
    > > > vlan 200 = 10.1.25.0/24

    > > Technically you probably have to in the routing world, as you can't
    > > assign the same range to two different interfaces on the same router.
    > > And even if you could, it would not be advised unless you know exactly
    > > what you are doing and what is what. I won't say there is 'no' reason
    > > to do it, but there would be very few, if any, reasons to have two
    > > different vlans with the same address ranges.

    > Hey Trendkill ..
    >
    > Thanks for answering my question.
    >
    > I tried plugging each of the vlan ports 100&200 into a port on the
    > linksys switch and i got a native vlan mismatch error first and oddly
    > both vlans were able to talk to eachother. I'm guessing due to the
    > linksys ports not being vlan enabled it puts them all into one vlan/
    > network.
    >
    > So I think overall i need a router capable of doing the vlans. due to
    > my example of what i did and wanting to use differnet ip ranges. the
    > router is set to use say 192.168.1.0/24 and isnt aware of any clients
    > using the 10.1.25.0/24 address and the switch is configured with a
    > 192.168.1.0/24 ip address.
    >
    > I think through trial and error i have figured it out. I do have 2
    > other linksys routers that i could use to work my way around, by
    > plugging them in after the witch, assigning the appropriate lan
    > addresses and plugging into the linksys router going into the cable
    > modem, but then again; these networks would then be all on the same
    > network theoretically due to the top level router not capable of doing
    > vlans or seperating ports. so you could change the ip of one of the
    > workstations on one vlan to the ip of the other and might be able to
    > access that network.. maybe im wrong here..
    >
    > hmm .. ebay has some great cheap devices .. what would you recommend
    > to achieve what im looking to do?
    >
    > What im looking to do is more then what I have posted here. I would
    > like to use like a 2514 to connect to my cable modem and have those 2
    > vlan networks on different network ranges.
    >
    > Simple enough :) I know how to work with the devices (routers and
    > switches) fully, but designing and the architecture is where i fall
    > short.
    >
    > Suggestions on devices?
    >
    > Thanks again..
    >
    > GNY

    Yeah and perhaps I answered your question incorrectly last go-round.
    While you definitely would need two different addresses on the two
    VLANs, the linksys would not support that as it only supports a single
    network in its configuration. Therefore you can't make it have two
    different router IPs in two different networks. Truthfully, you could
    set your first linksys or whatever into the switch in vlan 100 at
    192.168.1.0/24. You could then hook in a second linksys directly into
    that first one, and just make sure its LAN addresses are different
    than 192.168.1.0/24. What I mean here, is its WAN IP would be coming
    from the first linksys (192.168.1.X), and then it can serve LAN
    addresses in a different network like 192.168.2.0/24. The only
    problem with doing this is that nodes from the first network would not
    be able to talk to nodes on the second network, as linksys' use NATing
    and therefore once host A sent packets to router A, router A would not
    know to send these to router B for host B. Therefore you could get
    around this by creating a static route on the first router to
    192.168.2.0 via the WAN IP of the first router.

    I know its confusing, but it should make sense/work.

    To answer your second question, yes the easy answer is to buy any
    router with multiple ethernet interfaces, or that will will support
    vlan trunking to the 2900 or whatever you are running. This way the
    routers first interface would plug into the linksys, and its second
    would trunk vlan 100 and 200 to the 2900, each with its own network
    and dhcp. The router would then be the gateway for hosts in either
    vlan (and you could put either vlan on any port on the switch), and
    they would be able to intra and inter communicate as desired.

    Hope this helps.
    Trendkill, Jun 26, 2007
  12. GNY

    GNY Guest

    On Jun 26, 12:40 pm, Trendkill <> wrote:
> [...]

    > and therefore once host A sent packets to router A, router A would not
    > know to send these to router B for host B. Therefore you could get
    > around this by creating a static route on the first router to
    > 192.168.2.0 via the WAN IP of the first router.
    >
    > I know its confusing, but it should make sense/work.
    >
    > To answer your second question, yes the easy answer is to buy any
    > router with multiple ethernet interfaces, or that will will support
    > vlan trunking to the 2900 or whatever you are running. This way the
    > routers first interface would plug into the linksys, and its second
    > would trunk vlan 100 and 200 to the 2900, each with its own network
    > and dhcp. The router would then be the gateway for hosts in either
    > vlan (and you could put either vlan on any port on the switch), and
    > they would be able to intra and inter communicate as desired.

    Trendkill,

    Thanks for your help so far ..

    Cant address your whole post right now..

    but cant i use the 2514 in place of the linksys to make life easier
    for what i would like to do. Considering the 2514 will run the latest
    ios and what not.. i will address the rest of your post when im not at
    work :)

    Thanks a whole lot

    GNY
    GNY, Jun 26, 2007