connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit that has an RCA composite video

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by OCZ Guy, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. OCZ Guy

    OCZ Guy Guest

    Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
    that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.

    My TV does not have svideo just RCA.

    I would also need this cable ??
    http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html

    And how long will this cobverter last ??, does it burn out after time
    ?

    Would this be good as SVIDEO or worse or just better than RCA ?

    Just like to know like to get tge best pictrure i can with my current
    set up.

    Thanks again.

    HELLO NURSE.
    OCZ Guy, Jul 31, 2004

  2. OCZ Guy

    Rich Clark Guest

    "OCZ Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
    > that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.
    >
    > My TV does not have svideo just RCA.
    >

    > I would also need this cable ??
    > http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html

    No, as they point out, you don't need that. You need this:
    http://www.datapro.net/products/1161.html

    If you already have an s-video cable you just need the adapter.

    The resulting picture will be composite. There's nothing you can do to
    upgrate the TV itself. Still, if it's a DVD player you're talking about, you
    get the best picture the TV is capable of.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Jul 31, 2004

  3. OCZ Guy

    OCZ Guy Guest

    So my DVD has Svideo, but my TV does not, that cable would make the
    output Svideo picture quality good ?? or just better than RCA ?

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:43:06 -0400, "Rich Clark"
    <> wrote:

    >"OCZ Guy" <> wrote in message
    >> Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
    >> that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.
    >>
    >> My TV does not have svideo just RCA.
    >>

    >> I would also need this cable ??
    >> http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html

    >No, as they point out, you don't need that. You need this:
    >http://www.datapro.net/products/1161.html
    >
    >If you already have an s-video cable you just need the adapter.
    >
    >The resulting picture will be composite. There's nothing you can do to
    >upgrate the TV itself. Still, if it's a DVD player you're talking about, you
    >get the best picture the TV is capable of.
    >
    >RichC

    HELLO NURSE.
    OCZ Guy, Jul 31, 2004
  4. OCZ Guy

    Biz Guest

    "OCZ Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
    > that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.
    >
    > My TV does not have svideo just RCA.
    >

    > I would also need this cable ??
    > http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html
    >
    > And how long will this cobverter last ??, does it burn out after time
    > ?
    >
    > Would this be good as SVIDEO or worse or just better than RCA ?
    >
    > Just like to know like to get tge best pictrure i can with my current
    > set up.

    The picture quality is determined by the worst connection, so you get
    composite RCA, just because it started out at S-Video, it ends up as
    composite RCA, so thats what the quality will be.
    Biz, Jul 31, 2004
  5. OCZ Guy

    luminos Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "OCZ Guy" <> wrote in message
    > > Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
    > > that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.
    > >
    > > My TV does not have svideo just RCA.
    > >

    > > I would also need this cable ??
    > > http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html
    > >
    > > And how long will this cobverter last ??, does it burn out after time
    > > ?
    > >
    > > Would this be good as SVIDEO or worse or just better than RCA ?
    > >
    > > Just like to know like to get tge best pictrure i can with my current
    > > set up.

    > The picture quality is determined by the worst connection, so you get
    > composite RCA, just because it started out at S-Video, it ends up as
    > composite RCA, so thats what the quality will be.

    I tried this with a Radio Shack adapter and the colors were way off...the
    picture was worse than composite to composite.
    luminos, Jul 31, 2004
  6. OCZ Guy

    Rich Clark Guest

    "OCZ Guy" <> wrote in message

    > So my DVD has Svideo, but my TV does not, that cable would make the
    > output Svideo picture quality good ?? or just better than RCA ?

    No. "RCA" is just a kind of plug. The video signal is called "composite" --
    all of the color and luminance information is combined into one signal.

    Since that's what your TV has, that's what you'll see. The cable's purpose
    is to combine the separate color and luminance signals coming from the
    s-video output (that's what s-video is: luminance and color are kept
    separate) into one signal that's a composite of both.

    It's still a cheap way to use your existing TV, assuming the cable/adapter
    is properly made and actually works.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Aug 1, 2004
  7. On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:22:00 +1000, OCZ Guy <>
    wrote:

    >Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
    >that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.
    >
    >My TV does not have svideo just RCA.
    >

    >I would also need this cable ??
    >http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html
    >
    >And how long will this cobverter last ??, does it burn out after time
    >?
    >
    >Would this be good as SVIDEO or worse or just better than RCA ?
    >
    >Just like to know like to get tge best pictrure i can with my current
    >set up.

    From your other posts to this thread, you indicate it's a DVD player.
    All the DVD players I've seen have composite vid outs, so simply use
    that with a composite cable. You won't gain any quality going from
    S-Vid to composite with a converter. Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    | (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
    Gary A. Edelstein, Aug 1, 2004