Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Vivian, Jun 17, 2010.

  1. Vivian

    Vivian Guest

    Is it possible to connect a 857 ADSL router to a 3750 L3 switch with QinQ
    tagging. Thank you.
    -------------------------------------

    Vivian, Jun 17, 2010

  2. (Vivian) writes:
    >Is it possible to connect a 857 ADSL router to a 3750 L3 switch with QinQ
    >tagging. Thank you.

    Yes, they both have ethernet ports that you can run a cable inbetween.

    Maybe there's some better question in there? More info would be better.
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 17, 2010

  3. Vivian

    bod43 Guest

    On 17 June, 14:41, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > (Vivian) writes:
    > >Is it possible to connect a 857 ADSL router to a 3750 L3 switch with QinQ
    > >tagging. Thank you.

    > Yes, they both have ethernet ports that you can run a cable inbetween.
    >
    > Maybe there's some better question in there? More info would be better.

    Hmmmm. 857 only supports one VLAN and cannot
    run Advanced IP Services Feature Set.

    Might work but I guess it wont.

    877 supports 1 to 4 VLANS. No idea at all if it might do
    QinQ tunneling. I kind of thought that the "switch" hardware was quite
    basic.

    www.cisco.com/go/fn -- Feature Navigator might assist.
    May not be available for public access. Not sure.
    bod43, Jun 18, 2010
  4. Vivian

    Vivian Guest

    Vivian had written this in response to
    http://forums.cabling-design.com/ci...L-router-to-Metro-Ethernet-network-47148-.htm
    :

    bod43 wrote:

    > On 17 June, 14:41, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    >> (Vivian) writes:
    >> >Is it possible to connect a 857 ADSL router to a 3750 L3
    >>> switch with QinQ
    >> >tagging. Thank you.

    >> Yes, they both have ethernet ports that you can run a cable
    >> inbetween.
    >>
    >> Maybe there's some better question in there? More info would be
    >> better.

    > Hmmmm. 857 only supports one VLAN and cannot
    > run Advanced IP Services Feature Set.

    > Might work but I guess it wont.

    > 877 supports 1 to 4 VLANS. No idea at all if it might do
    > QinQ tunneling. I kind of thought that the "switch" hardware
    > was quite
    > basic.

    > www.cisco.com/go/fn -- Feature Navigator might assist.
    > May not be available for public access. Not sure.

    -------------------------------------
    QinQ isn't supported in 857, that's why i use a 3750 to connect to Metro
    Ethernet. If i configure default VLAN 1 in an access port in 3750 and VLAN
    100 (for example) for a trunk port and the S-VLAN, would it work, having
    only this client on the 3750?
    Thank you very much.

    Vivian, Jun 18, 2010
  5. Vivian

    http://forums.cabling-design.com/ci...L-router-to-Metro-Ethernet-network-47149-.htm
    :
    > -------------------------------------
    > QinQ isn't supported in 857, that's why i use a 3750 to connect to
    > Metro
    > Ethernet. If i configure default VLAN 1 in an access port in 3750 and
    > VLAN
    > 100 (for example) for a trunk port and the S-VLAN, would it work,
    > having
    > only this client on the 3750?
    > Thank you very much.

    -------------------------------------

    Rephrasing my question, the problem is if i can configure QinQ with VLAN 1
    (as the C-VLAN) and VLAN 100 (as the S-VLAN) in a 3750 that connects to a
    857 router that doesn't support VLANs.
    If anyone knows, could you please help in this.

    Vivian, Jun 22, 2010
  6. Vivian

    bod43 Guest

    On 22 June, 12:00, (Vivian) wrote:
    > Vivian had written this in response tohttp://forums.cabling-design.com/cisco/Re-Connect-857-ADSL-router-to-...
    >  :
    >
    > > -------------------------------------
    > > QinQ isn't supported in 857, that's why i use a 3750 to connect to
    > > Metro
    > > Ethernet. If i configure default VLAN 1 in an access port in 3750 and
    > > VLAN
    > > 100 (for example) for a trunk port and the S-VLAN, would it work,
    > > having
    > > only this client on the 3750?
    > > Thank you very much.

    > -------------------------------------
    >
    > Rephrasing my question, the problem is if i can configure QinQ with VLAN 1
    > (as the C-VLAN) and VLAN 100 (as the S-VLAN) in a 3750 that connects to a
    > 857 router that doesn't support VLANs.
    > If anyone knows, could you please help in this.
    > Thank you!

    You need to give more explanation for me to be sure
    however:-

    If the 851 is connected to a port on the 3750 configured
    as an access port then you are all OK. This access port
    can be a member of any VLAN you choose on the 3750.
    In this case the traffic between the 851 and the 3750 is
    untagged.

    If the 851 is connected to a port on the 3750 configured
    as a trunk then you can't. (I suppose you might
    argue that you could use the dot1q native VLAN but
    that would just be stupidly obtuse in any practical sense).
    In this case the traffic between the 851 and the 3750 is
    tagged and the 851 won't be able to deal with it.

    I have now checked with the feature navigator
    www.cisco.com/go/fn and it appears confirmed that no
    IEEE 802.1Q VLAN features are supported on the 851.
    This means that my statements above are correct.

    Sadly I can't give you a nice link since the web site
    seems to be all scripted or something. How annoying!

    www.cisco.co/go/fn
    choose
    Search by platform
    Select 851 from the Platform drop down
    Press continue
    Scroll down and observe that there are no
    IEEE 802.1Q ........
    entries

    Press Back Button on browser
    Select 871 from the Platform drop down
    Select Feature Set/Licenses - Advanced IP Services
    Scroll down and observe that there ARE
    IEEE 802.1Q ........
    entries

    These seem particularly handy.
    IEEE 802.1Q Tunneling
    IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Support
    IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Trunking
    bod43, Jun 22, 2010
  7. Vivian

    alexd Guest

    On 22/06/10 13:50, bod43 wrote:

    > Sadly I can't give you a nice link since the web site
    > seems to be all scripted or something. How annoying!

    I find Web Developer Toolbar useful for this; Forms > Convert POSTs to
    GETs will give you a URL you can link to, email to someone etc. Useful
    for other sites too.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:42:25 up 55 days, 23:29, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.15, 0.31
    alexd, Jun 22, 2010
  8. Vivian

    bod43 Guest

    On 22 June, 20:44, alexd <> wrote:
    > On 22/06/10 13:50, bod43 wrote:
    >
    > > Sadly I can't give you a nice link since the web site
    > > seems to be all scripted or something. How annoying!

    > I find Web Developer Toolbar useful for this; Forms > Convert POSTs to
    > GETs will give you a URL you can link to, email to someone etc. Useful
    > for other sites too.

    Thanks a lot.

    Very handy. Took a bit of mindless hacking to figure out
    how to drive it since I have no idea what any of it means
    but all working now:)

    851 - any software so none selected
    http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Di...elect&softwareType=IOS&task=display&searchby=

    871 Advanced IP Services
    http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Di...&HDDMRelDet=0&HDDMFeatSetDet=7&HFS_But=Update

    For the un-initiated - like me.

    Install "Web Developer :: Add-ons for Firefox"
    You already have firefox and Adblock Plus obviously
    so you know how to install add-ons:)

    Navigate towards the web page that is unhelpfully not giving
    you a valid link.
    e.g.
    http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?act=rlsSelect&task=search&searchby=platform

    Once you actually choose platform all you get is:-
    http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch

    BEFORE you choose the platform

    On the toolbar select
    Forms/Convert Form Methods/POSTs to GETs

    Then "execute" the form by choosing the platform,
    maybe you have to press "Continue" I forget.

    The address bar displays a valid URL that can be used
    to return to the page.

    You have to repeat the
    Forms/Convert Form Methods/POSTs to GETs
    each time you execute the form since on each realod
    I guess (wildly) it reloads the offending post method.
    bod43, Jun 23, 2010