Connction drop

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Puma, Oct 9, 2006.

  1. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Here is an interesting question...I think.

    My buddy has a Microsoft Network wireless router. He continues to
    have a problem with droping his connection but only on his wired
    connection. Meaning the CAT 5 running from the Router to the main
    computer. The wireless portion does not have this problem.

    He connect fine from his desktop, work for a couple of hours, go eat a
    sandwich and come back to a dropped connection. He can then close
    down his browser, restart and everything works.

    I did a complete reinstall of his software (not because of this
    problem, just annual house cleaning). Still same problem.

    Now, I have connected it to my router...no problem

    So I suspect a) cable
    b) some setting in his router that I don't know about
    c) bad router

    Does anyone have any ideas on anything that I am over looking...I am
    sure it is something simple.

    TIA

    AB

    Puma, Oct 9, 2006

  2. Puma

    SBFan2000 Guest

    I'm not a network professional but sounds to me like his router assigns
    address via DHCP and it has a lease time.

    SBFan2000, Oct 10, 2006

  3. Puma

    smackedass Guest

    I did a Microsoft Networking job one time, and there was a bug that had to
    be dealt with. The message that I saw was:

    "Microsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatibility issue with this
    version of Windows.* For an update that is compatible with this version of
    Windows, contact Microsoft Broadband Networking"

    (* OS was Windows XP HE)

    Only after I downloaded a patch, sorry, don't remember where it was, but it
    wasn't hard to find, was I able to set things up properly.

    re SBFan2000's response, yes, it could be a DHCP lease timing out, but I
    believe that most DHCP leases expire in days, not hours or minutes.

    Best wishes,

    smackedass

    smackedass, Oct 10, 2006
  4. Puma

    Glenn Guest

    Does he have a properly wired cable? are the green & green/white wires
    properly split? Did he make his own enet cable or buy one. Did he buy
    the rigght one there are 3-types.

    Glenn, Oct 10, 2006