Confusion about Magnetic Detector in Airport & Memory card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Harvey, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Harvey

    Harvey Guest

    They will cause no problem whatever.

    zxcvar, Dec 16, 2003

  3. (zxcvar) wrote in

    > Greetings! Will the magnetic detectors in airport cause any harm to
    > the digital camera and memory cards? In January 2004 page 187 of
    > Popular Photography, there are some comments to suggest that the
    > detector may harm "stored data". I am confused. With thanks.

    It could harm data stored on magnetic media, like a floppy disk or a hard
    disk. Unless you're using a floppy disk Mavica, your camera uses some sort
    of flash storage, which shouldn't be hurt by the airport scanners.

    --
    Albert Nurick www.TheDeliciousLife.com
    A guide to the good life
    Albert Nurick, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Harvey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    zxcvar wrote:

    > Greetings! Will the magnetic detectors in airport cause any harm to
    > the digital camera and memory cards? In January 2004 page 187 of
    > Popular Photography, there are some comments to suggest that the
    > detector may harm "stored data". I am confused. With thanks.

    Only if you store the data on magnetic media. YOu might be reluctant to
    pass a portable HD through the scanner. However, if you can safely go
    through the gate, the camera and flash card shouldn't be harmed.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Harvey

    Dave Head Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:04:46 -0600, Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >zxcvar wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings! Will the magnetic detectors in airport cause any harm to
    >> the digital camera and memory cards? In January 2004 page 187 of
    >> Popular Photography, there are some comments to suggest that the
    >> detector may harm "stored data". I am confused. With thanks.

    >Only if you store the data on magnetic media. YOu might be reluctant to
    >pass a portable HD through the scanner. However, if you can safely go
    >through the gate, the camera and flash card shouldn't be harmed.

    So CompactFlash Microdrives are toast?
    Dave Head, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Harvey

    Zol. Guest

    "Dave Head" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:04:46 -0600, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >
    > >zxcvar wrote:
    > >
    > >> Greetings! Will the magnetic detectors in airport cause any harm to
    > >> the digital camera and memory cards? In January 2004 page 187 of
    > >> Popular Photography, there are some comments to suggest that the
    > >> detector may harm "stored data". I am confused. With thanks.

    > >Only if you store the data on magnetic media. YOu might be reluctant to
    > >pass a portable HD through the scanner. However, if you can safely go
    > >through the gate, the camera and flash card shouldn't be harmed.

    > So CompactFlash Microdrives are toast?

    I`m also interested in this - Is there any protective case that would save the media on a
    microdrive from being wiped? or is it just best to declare that you have magnetic media in
    the form of a microdrive and get your camera bag searched manually? and what about these
    portable memory storage units that use 30Gb hardrives(Are they protected) ? Thanks, Zol.
    Zol., Dec 17, 2003
  7. Harvey

    Canopus Guest

    wrote:

    > >zxcvar wrote:
    > >
    > >> Greetings! Will the magnetic detectors in airport cause any harm to
    > >> the digital camera and memory cards? In January 2004 page 187 of
    > >> Popular Photography, there are some comments to suggest that the
    > >> detector may harm "stored data". I am confused. With thanks.

    > >Only if you store the data on magnetic media. YOu might be reluctant to
    > >pass a portable HD through the scanner. However, if you can safely go
    > >through the gate, the camera and flash card shouldn't be harmed.

    > So CompactFlash Microdrives are toast?

    There is no problem with digital media from airport metal detectors or X-ray
    machines. This is from experience, not theory. I would be more concerned
    about the amount of cosmic radiation I get when up high in the aircraft :=))

    Rob
    Canopus, Dec 17, 2003
  8. Harvey

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > zxcvar wrote:
    >
    > > Greetings! Will the magnetic detectors in airport cause any harm to
    > > the digital camera and memory cards? In January 2004 page 187 of
    > > Popular Photography, there are some comments to suggest that the
    > > detector may harm "stored data". I am confused. With thanks.

    > Only if you store the data on magnetic media. YOu might be reluctant to
    > pass a portable HD through the scanner. However, if you can safely go
    > through the gate, the camera and flash card shouldn't be harmed.

    Sorry, but you're wrong. I shoot digital video to miniDV tape. I've taken
    hundreds of tapes through dozens of airport carryon scanners throughout the
    world, usuallly multiple times. I've never once lost even a single bit.

    Perhaps a decade or so there was a problem, not with x-rays, which will NOT
    effect magnetic media, but with magnetic fields created by the motors which
    move the conveyor belt on the scanner. Magnetic media is perfectly safe.
    PTRAVEL, Dec 17, 2003
  9. Harvey

    Dave Head Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:59:31 GMT, "Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:

    >"Dave Head" <> wrote in message

    >> >Only if you store the data on magnetic media. YOu might be reluctant to
    >> >pass a portable HD through the scanner. However, if you can safely go
    >> >through the gate, the camera and flash card shouldn't be harmed.

    >> So CompactFlash Microdrives are toast?
    >>

    >I`m also interested in this - Is there any protective case that would save the media on a
    >microdrive from being wiped? or is it just best to declare that you have magnetic media in
    >the form of a microdrive and get your camera bag searched manually? and what about these
    >portable memory storage units that use 30Gb hardrives(Are they protected) ? Thanks, Zol.

    Well, some here have said that the machinery is _not_ really harmful to the
    microdrives. I suspect they're right. I've stuck my laptop thru the X-ray at
    carry-on inspection and the hard drive was just fine afterward. I expect that
    a CF hard drive would probably fare exactly the same.

    I'm not going to worry about it until something bad happens. And, by the time
    I get to the airport gate, my pix are going to be on CD anyway. If the
    microdrive becomes unformatted at that point, I'll either format it all over
    again, or send it back to Hitachi for that purpose. But I don't think it's
    gonna be a problem,

    A microdrive in checked baggage may be a different problem. X-rays are much
    more powerful for those. They may also be using other technologies. Yeah, one
    could involve a magnet or two. I'm not checking my camera tho... especially
    not in an unlocked case like they want. Its a D1x, and 10 to 1, if its
    checked, it's gonna disappear before the other end of the flight is reached.
    Should make someone some good coin on ebay if I check it. Nope, not gonna
    happen. They want to check it, I stick it back out in the car in the parking
    lot, and do the trip without camera. Trains and driving will become even more
    attractive.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Dec 18, 2003