    Thanks
    --
    Hector

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVjdG9y?=, Jul 2, 2005

  2. 1.) There is no direct exchange from home to x64 Edition, only from
    Professional. Further, be _very_ sure your machine will support x64 Edition
    before you buy it or exchange for it. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx for more on the
    Technology Advancement Program.

    2.) Whether you have a legal right to transfer the operating system from one
    machine to another varies depending on what the original source of the copy
    is. If it came pre-installed on a computer, it stays with that computer.
    Period. It may not be transfered. If it is a retail copy, you may uninstall
    it and transfer it to another machine. If it's a system builder copy, bought
    with qualifying hardware, then it stays with the qualifying hardware (which
    I've seen defined as a mouse in some cases.)

    3.) Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a shipping product, and has been
    for two months now. So yes, it is legal to sell it, assuming it is sold with
    qualifying hardware. No retail boxed version of x64 Edition is available.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 2, 2005

    Hector wrote:
    > Since there are MS representatives helping to answer our questions here I
    > have a couple of them:
    >
    > I bought a HP Pavillion that has Windows XP home edition.
    > This is a second computer. I already have a computer with Windows XP Pro.
    > I want to uninstall the operating system from the first system and transfer
    > it to my new system for a couple of reasons but file encryption is one of
    > them.
    > After I do that do I qualify to participate in the Technology Advancement
    > Program?
    >
    > My second question has to do with the following: There are advertisements
    > in a local computer magazine that is selling the Windows XP 64 bit edition
    > for about $20.00 more than XP Pro. I thought that we were dealing with a beta
    > program and that is was still not available to the general market. I have not
    > seen bit computer outlets advertise it. So what's up?
    > Is it legal to be selling those copies?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hello Hector,

    I have successfully installed Windows XP x64 Edition on an HP Pavilion
    A810n. Give me your exact model number and I'll try to help you out with
    the installation as best I can.

    Now, as far as purchasing the new operating system what you will get is
    an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version. X64 has been released
    as final and is not in BETA anymore. When you purchase an OEM version of
    the OS, you have to purchase a piece of hardware with it. Some companies
    will offer the OS with as little as a new power cord but some are more
    demanding in what piece of hardware you have to purchase. It might be a
    memory module or a CD-ROM drive etc.

    XP x64 Edition is not available as a consumer product so you can't just
    walk into your local CompUSA and buy it off of the shelf.

    The first thing you need to do is give us the exact model number of your
    machine for example Pavilion a810n etc... so that you can download all
    of the 64 bit device drivers for your hardware BEFORE you upgrade to the
    new OS. Additionally, you have think about what external devices are
    attached to your computer. For example, what printers are attached etc.
    You will need 64 bit printers drivers as well.

    As for other questions that you may have, *** please read as many of the
    others have experienced ***.

    HTH,

    - --
    Steve Thompson
    Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
    CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B

    Steve Thompson, Jul 2, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SGVjdG9y?=

    Randy Guest

    Charlie,

    If in #2 below, his copy is retail, then although he can switch it to
    another system, that version of XP doesn't qualify for the exchange program
    anyway, correct?

    Randy, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Well, that's kind of a grey area, and one I'm not sure I know the official
    answer to. I would speculate that it wouldn't, actually, matter which XP Pro
    Retail he traded in. But again, ONLY retail can move around, so OEM and
    system builder are pretty much stuck with their machine. So if only the
    non-Home Edition machine was retail, it wouldn't do you much good if you need
    to have a copy on the machine that currently is running Home Edition, since
    you wouldn't then have anything to replace the one that's on the current XP
    Pro machine.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Retail Pro only is exchangeable. Once you exchange it, that installation
    is invalidated and wont work post the exchange date (well, it wont
    activate).

    So, you can use whatever XP Pro retail copy you like, but once it is
    exchanged, thats it. No going back. I recommend using the trial to make
    sure you know what works and doesnt work prior to installing x64 as your
    main OS.

    As for the retailing of x64, its not a retail product so you wont ever see
    it "on the shelf" at major retailers. It can only be purchased via OEMs
    with the right to sell it (typically with a piece of hardware).

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jul 5, 2005