    the particular url?

    Thanks

    dj tuchler
    Dennis J. Tuchler, May 17, 2005

  2. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Moz Champion Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > Firefox 1.0.4 works perfectly with a particular url at home on a DSL line,
    > but doesn't work with the same url at work. Both run under SuSE 9.2 and
    > bpth are running on Dell machines (laptop at home and desktop at work),
    >
    > What do I look for on the machine at work to change its malfunction with
    > the particular url?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > dj tuchler

    Does the machine at work use a proxy to access the net?
    Moz Champion, May 18, 2005

  3. On Wed, 18 May 2005 07:32:05 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:

    > Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >> Firefox 1.0.4 works perfectly with a particular url at home on a DSL line,
    >> but doesn't work with the same url at work. Both run under SuSE 9.2 and
    >> bpth are running on Dell machines (laptop at home and desktop at work),
    >>
    >> What do I look for on the machine at work to change its malfunction with
    >> the particular url?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> dj tuchler

    > Does the machine at work use a proxy to access the net?

    The machine is hooked up to the local backbone to get to the web. I
    suppose that must mean there's a proxy somewhere.

    dj tuchler
    Dennis J. Tuchler, May 18, 2005
  4. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Roland Guest

    On 18-5-2005 16:28, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 07:32:05 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >>Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >>
    >>>Firefox 1.0.4 works perfectly with a particular url at home on a DSL line,
    >>>but doesn't work with the same url at work. Both run under SuSE 9.2 and
    >>>bpth are running on Dell machines (laptop at home and desktop at work),
    >>>
    >>>What do I look for on the machine at work to change its malfunction with
    >>>the particular url?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>dj tuchler

    >>Does the machine at work use a proxy to access the net?

    > The machine is hooked up to the local backbone to get to the web. I
    > suppose that must mean there's a proxy somewhere.
    >
    > dj tuchler

    Can you ping or traceroute the webserver of that particular URL?

    Further, you could replace the webserver name by its IP address. This to
    verify if it's a DNS problem or some proxy/firewall blocking the address.

    Traceroute may also give an indication where things are lost.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ___ ___
    /__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \
    Roland, May 18, 2005
  5. On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:28:28 +0200, Roland wrote:

    > On 18-5-2005 16:28, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

    >>>Does the machine at work use a proxy to access the net?

    >> The machine is hooked up to the local backbone to get to the web. I
    >> suppose that must mean there's a proxy somewhere.
    >>
    >> dj tuchler
    >>

    > Can you ping or traceroute the webserver of that particular URL?
    >
    > Further, you could replace the webserver name by its IP address. This to
    > verify if it's a DNS problem or some proxy/firewall blocking the address.
    >
    > Traceroute may also give an indication where things are lost.

    Sometimes, trivial mistakes have great consequences. I had turned off
    javascript on that machine and forgot to turn it back on with the
    installation of the new Firefox. Turning it on made all the difference.

    Thanks

    dj tuchler
    Dennis J. Tuchler, May 19, 2005