Confused? I certainly am (newbie)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Thompson, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Several years ago I bought an ex-display (casing was damaged) fujifilm
    1.3mpix MX-1200 for £50 (considering it was £200, and I was a sales
    assistant, I felt this a fair price *grin*)

    It has a "Fujinon Lens" f5.8mm F4.5 (whatever that means)

    And having dropped it off a mountain and (on a seperate occasion) into
    a lake, it's faired well (still works, just as long as you use UK
    batteries in it. European ones don't work because the 'nipple' on the
    battery tip is too small).

    I've always liked the quality of the pics, but I've seen my friends
    with increasingly expensive cameras (I was the first of my group to
    own one) and their picture quality is absolutely fantastic.

    I'm in no way a perfectionist & have been relatively satisfied with
    the pictures from my 1.3mpix camera, however my camera is slowly on
    the way out & I feel pressured to get a really high res camera.

    What I'm looking for is something fairly rugged, not too big with an
    optical zoom (something I've never had). Preferably it ought to take
    a SD card since both my laptop and my two PC's have built in SD
    readers.

    One of the points I'm stuck up on is batteries. My current camera
    will happily take between 150-200 high res pics on 4 AA batteries. I
    like AA's because of the cheapness/availablitly. I have terrible
    trouble with (expensive) rechargables - In the last three years I've
    had three laptop batteries die on me - this kind of thing worries me &
    so I'm not sure I want that on a camera. The worst thing is having to
    be restricted by rechargables when on a hike or on holiday. Can
    anyone give me any suggestions?

    Resolution wise, I'm also having issues. I'm currently involved
    scanning in my entire families photo collection (Several thousand
    pics) and I know that whatever I scan I'm loosing quality, but
    digitalising is the way to go when most of the photos are begining to
    fade and degrade. I've seen how many memories I own, and I want to
    take the best quality pictures, not just for memories but as something
    my children can inherit (we're big on family history in my family).
    But then again, I'm on a tight budget & I'm fully aware that in a
    couple of years I'll get a much better camera. Hard disk space is
    pretty much unlimited (1.25TB of free space, Yes, TB)

    So for the intermediate term, I have £200 UK. (about 380USD) That has
    to cover my camera and card.

    What would be this groups recommendation?

    I'm off to read, read, read on this group. I'm sorry I haven't spent
    my time lurking properly but I'm a busy, busy man!

    George Thompson, Apr 1, 2004

  2. George Thompson

    p.mc Guest

    Sorry I can't think of one with all the criteria you require, but I found
    this site which I used to buy my camera which breaks down the search and
    finds you the best price.

    good luck

    http://uk.pricerunner.com/

    --
    Regards
    p.mc

    For personal replies please leave or type signature
    "p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
    posts will not be received.
    Thanks

    p.mc, Apr 1, 2004

  3. George Thompson

    jriegle Guest

    Go to www.dpreview.com and compare the cameras. I think going from a 1.3MP
    to a 3MP camera, you would be happy. I would not get too hung up on battery
    types. I have one with a rechargeable that works fine after almost three
    years I bought second battery so I can switch them if one goes flat while
    I'm out.
    John

    jriegle, Apr 2, 2004
  4. [On 1 Apr 2004 08:58:12 -0800,
    (George Thompson) wrote:]

    > So for the intermediate term, I have £200 UK. (about 380USD) That has
    > to cover my camera and card.

    From what you said, it is not clear to me what you want to do
    with the camera.

    At your budget and from what you said in your post, my opinion
    is that you would be best off spending your money on software
    and a scanner.

    The Other Harry, Apr 2, 2004
  5. George Thompson

    Ralph Guest

    Get one that takes AA batteries.
    Get the highest mhour NiMH rechargeables that you can find and a charger
    that charges each cell indiviually.
    That way you cut your battery costs in the long term, but you can buy some
    AA cells in an emergency.

    --
    remove n u m b e r s to reply

    Ralph, Apr 2, 2004
  6. Ralph wrote:
    > Get one that takes AA batteries.
    > Get the highest mhour NiMH rechargeables that you can find and a
    > charger that charges each cell indiviually.
    > That way you cut your battery costs in the long term, but you can buy
    > some AA cells in an emergency.

    Good advice and I will suggest check with your friends. One may be
    ready to sell what they have to move up to something newer and better.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 2, 2004
  7. George Thompson

    stewy Guest

    > It has a "Fujinon Lens" f5.8mm F4.5 (whatever that means)

    It's Fuji's own lens design. Like Nikon's Nikkor.

    <snipped>

    > What I'm looking for is something fairly rugged, not too big with an
    > optical zoom (something I've never had). Preferably it ought to take
    > a SD card since both my laptop and my two PC's have built in SD
    > readers.

    Take a look at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp
    You can probably sort out what kind you think you need.

    > One of the points I'm stuck up on is batteries. My current camera
    > will happily take between 150-200 high res pics on 4 AA batteries. I
    > like AA's because of the cheapness/availablitly. I have terrible
    > trouble with (expensive) rechargables - In the last three years I've
    > had three laptop batteries die on me - this kind of thing worries me &
    > so I'm not sure I want that on a camera. The worst thing is having to
    > be restricted by rechargables when on a hike or on holiday. Can
    > anyone give me any suggestions?

    To my mind, these Lithium Ion batteries are not worth the advantage. They
    are expensive and can only be charged up within the camera unless you throw
    more money away on an external charger. At least with AA batteries you could
    use alkalines in a pinch.

    > Resolution wise, I'm also having issues. I'm currently involved
    > scanning in my entire families photo collection (Several thousand
    > pics) and I know that whatever I scan I'm loosing quality, but
    > digitalising is the way to go when most of the photos are begining to
    > fade and degrade. I've seen how many memories I own, and I want to
    > take the best quality pictures, not just for memories but as something
    > my children can inherit (we're big on family history in my family).
    > But then again, I'm on a tight budget & I'm fully aware that in a
    > couple of years I'll get a much better camera. Hard disk space is
    > pretty much unlimited (1.25TB of free space, Yes, TB)

    Think-
    How big do you want to print? A3 - use a 3 megapixel. A2 - a 4-5 megapixel
    A1 - 6.3 megapixel
    You think you're going to live forever? You won't and neither will your
    HDD - Use CDR or DVDR as backup.

    > So for the intermediate term, I have £200 UK. (about 380USD) That has
    > to cover my camera and card.

    Do you want a really compact thingy? One you can slip in a trouser pocket
    (I'm assuming you're male)

    When you finished reading and checking specs, pop down to the local Jessops
    and handle those cameras.
    See how the interface works, does the camera "feel" right? This is probably
    as important as the quality.

    stewy, Apr 2, 2004
  8. > From what you said, it is not clear to me what you want to do
    > with the camera.
    >
    > At your budget and from what you said in your post, my opinion
    > is that you would be best off spending your money on software
    > and a scanner.

    Scanners are generally bigger than cameras and a little difficult to
    lug around.
    Thanks for the helpful comment!

    On the other hand, you do raise a few good points. The camera is to
    take pictures in a range of different light. I'm not interested in
    macro photography, but I want to take pictures of family and friends
    with the odd landscape photo thrown in. Since I'm still a newbie at
    this hobby, you'll have to understand I have absolutely no idea
    exactly what I'm after.

    I'm certainly not after one of the big proffessional cameras, and I've
    been doing research around my home town. Dixons offer the Nikon 3700,
    but it's around £249 and is unlikely to drop much in price, since I've
    learnt that it's been solely bought by Dixons. Plus I can't change
    the ISO (whatever that is)

    The other camera I've looked at is the Pentax Optio S4, Considering
    this camera is only £149, does anyone have anything bad to say about
    them (apart from the size) or something similar that is better?

    I hope this is begining to make my situation a bit clearer. I've
    learnt tons since wandering around this group (hence my slow reply) -
    just remember some of us out here don't know the first thing about
    cameras except point and click! I get frustrated when I see the same
    kind of questions popping up in a forum, but there is no need to be
    obstructive.

    George Thompson, Apr 8, 2004