    compatible on the Windows Logo'd Product List. These bits of info don't add
    up. Can someone please explain. Also, do you think the WMP300N is going to
    work with my x64 Vista?
    Baysider, Jul 19, 2008

  2. "Baysider" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >Also, do you think the WMP300N is going to
    > work with my x64 Vista?

    Try it.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2008

  3. Baysider

    N Brown Guest

    You might not need any software Vista 32 and 64 handled my Dlink Air Premier
    without me installing a driver, it uses an atheros driver and works great.

    N Brown, Jul 19, 2008
  4. Baysider

    Baysider Guest

    Colin, would you recommend trying to install it as NBrown did, ie without
    downloading and installing the manufacturer's drivers, seeing as how they are
    identified as 32-bit drivers on the Linksys website? Ie, try a straight "Plug
    and Play" install first?

    Baysider, Jul 19, 2008
  5. Baysider

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I have seen many reports of problems with this card and Vista, 64 bit in
    particular. Two install methods have been reported successful:

    Install using the chip-set's generic drivers_Broadcom for the US version of
    the card, I believe.

    Install the card. Let it be detected and install drivers. Connect to the
    Internet and go to the MS update web site and let it install an update for
    the card. I would connect using a wired cars until after the update but
    that's just me.

    Not that I have no experience with this card at all. Just passing on some
    information I read.
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Jul 19, 2008
  6. Baysider

    Baysider Guest

    Thanks for the tips guys. I plan to try it and will let you know how it goes.

    I am still confused by the fact that this product has been certified by MS
    for Vista x64. How can that happen if the manufacturer has not provided a
    64-bit driver set with which to test and certify? Perhaps someone could
    briefly explain the MS certification process that would permit this to occur.
    Baysider, Jul 19, 2008
  7. It means the drivers are included in the Vista x64
    installation package; i.e, the drivers are already on your
    hard drive. In other words it is "Plug-N-Play" hardware.
    That's why you shouldn't need any drivers to install. It's
    just like most USB memory sticks - most of the are
    "Plug-N-Play" and don't need additional drivers.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 19, 2008
  8. Baysider

    Baysider Guest

    To follow up, I plugged the card in and rebooted with no problems. The card
    installed without a burp and went directly to the network connection screen.
    Thanks for everyone's help on this.

    I see my network on the list of available networks and have configured the
    card (in theory) to match my network settings, but so far have not been able
    to get the connection to work. I'm trying to connect to an older Linksys
    WRT54G wireless router (whose firmware I have updated) and my Vista machine
    is giving me the message "The capabilities of your network adapter card do
    not match the requirements of this network". So I've got some more digging to
    do.
    Baysider, Jul 19, 2008
  9. Baysider

    Katy Pluta Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:52:01 -0700, Baysider
    <> wrote:

    >To follow up, I plugged the card in and rebooted with no problems. The card
    >installed without a burp and went directly to the network connection screen.
    >Thanks for everyone's help on this.
    >
    > I see my network on the list of available networks and have configured the
    >card (in theory) to match my network settings, but so far have not been able
    >to get the connection to work. I'm trying to connect to an older Linksys
    >WRT54G wireless router (whose firmware I have updated) and my Vista machine
    >is giving me the message "The capabilities of your network adapter card do
    >not match the requirements of this network". So I've got some more digging to
    >do.

    Your router only supports 802.11b/g, your network card supports faster
    802.11n so they won't talk together...
    Katy Pluta, Jul 20, 2008
  10. "Katy Pluta" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:52:01 -0700, Baysider
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>To follow up, I plugged the card in and rebooted with no problems. The
    >>card
    >>installed without a burp and went directly to the network connection
    >>screen.
    >>Thanks for everyone's help on this.
    >>
    >> I see my network on the list of available networks and have configured
    >> the
    >>card (in theory) to match my network settings, but so far have not been
    >>able
    >>to get the connection to work. I'm trying to connect to an older Linksys
    >>WRT54G wireless router (whose firmware I have updated) and my Vista
    >>machine
    >>is giving me the message "The capabilities of your network adapter card do
    >>not match the requirements of this network". So I've got some more digging
    >>do.
    >>

    > Your router only supports 802.11b/g, your network card supports faster
    > 802.11n so they won't talk together...

    Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the router would sense the
    wireless router's capabilities and communicate with it fine.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 20, 2008
  11. Baysider

    Katy Pluta Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:43:22 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <> wrote:

    >"Katy Pluta" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:52:01 -0700, Baysider
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>To follow up, I plugged the card in and rebooted with no problems. The
    >>>card
    >>>installed without a burp and went directly to the network connection
    >>>screen.
    >>>Thanks for everyone's help on this.
    >>>
    >>> I see my network on the list of available networks and have configured
    >>> the
    >>>card (in theory) to match my network settings, but so far have not been
    >>>able
    >>>to get the connection to work. I'm trying to connect to an older Linksys
    >>>WRT54G wireless router (whose firmware I have updated) and my Vista
    >>>machine
    >>>is giving me the message "The capabilities of your network adapter card do
    >>>not match the requirements of this network". So I've got some more digging
    >>>do.
    >>>

    >> Your router only supports 802.11b/g, your network card supports faster
    >> 802.11n so they won't talk together...

    >Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the router would sense the
    >wireless router's capabilities and communicate with it fine.

    Hi Colin,

    No I am not sure but AFAIK that card only supports 802.11n and not
    a/b/g in addition...
    Katy Pluta, Jul 21, 2008
  12. According to Linksys it can:
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&cid=1144763512962

    * High-speed Wireless-N (draft 802.11n) networking for
    your desktop computer
    * MIMO technology uses multiple radios to create a
    robust signal that travels up to 4 times farther and reduces
    dead spots
    * Up to 12 times faster than Wireless-G, but can also
    connect to Wireless-G and -B networks
    * Advanced wireless security with up to 256-bit encryption

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 21, 2008
  13. Baysider

    Barb Bowman Guest

    single band draft 2.0 N is 2.4GHz and is backwards compatible with
    b/g

    unless it is DUAL band or N/A only draft 2.0N 5GHz (the freq being
    the key) it will not be backwards compat with 802.11a.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Jul 21, 2008
  14. Baysider

    Katy Pluta Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:22:21 -0400, Barb Bowman <>
    wrote:

    >single band draft 2.0 N is 2.4GHz and is backwards compatible with
    >b/g
    >
    >unless it is DUAL band or N/A only draft 2.0N 5GHz (the freq being
    >the key) it will not be backwards compat with 802.11a.
    >

    >On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:45:41 -0600, Katy Pluta
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>No I am not sure but AFAIK that card only supports 802.11n and not
    >>a/b/g in addition...

    OK I stand corrected Barb and Bobby, thank you...
    Katy Pluta, Jul 22, 2008