    Are the product ids supposed to be the same? I don't want to deactivate the
    id of the 32 bit OS that I am currently using so I am not sure what to do.
    Thank you for any help.
    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3Uw==?=, May 12, 2005

  2. "AndrewS" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have two separate, legal copies of XP Pro which came with two different
    > Dell computers. I wanted to keep one and trade one in for XP 64. The
    > instructions on the page where one trades one OS for another says to take
    > the
    > product id which appears on the system properties screen. I am using one
    > copy
    > of XP Pro and just installed the other on another partition to get the
    > product id. I am confused because the product id is the same on both
    > copies.
    > Are the product ids supposed to be the same? I don't want to deactivate
    > the
    > id of the 32 bit OS that I am currently using so I am not sure what to do.
    > Thank you for any help.

    Andrew,

    I'm not sure I understand.
    If you have 2 copies that came with 2 Dell PCs then are both PCs active?
    If so then get the PID off the one Dell machine you want to swap out - note
    this would be on the assumption that the Dell is a x64 machine.
    If you have 2 OEM copies of Windows XP that came with 2 Dells - and you have
    now disposed of one of the Dells then you cannot use the old Dell licenses
    for the swap out. The OEM copies of Windows supplied with a vendors PC are
    not transferable to another machine so if you got a 32-bit copy of Windows
    will a Dell that has a 32-bit processor you cannot use that OEM copy as
    qualifying for the swap out, unless the Dell machine is an x64 machine and
    Dell are not going to offer you a swap out then you can use that license for
    the swap.
    If you are trying to get a license swap out for use on an x64 Dell you
    should contact Dell first to see if they are running their own program
    first.

    The issue here is that the program is for either users of x64 machines from
    OEMs that initially supplied a 32-bit OS that are not doing a swap out or
    for users who built their own machine and purchased a 32-bit Windows XP
    Professional for it and now want to swap out that license.

    OEM supplied opertaing system licenses are not transferable to another PC so
    you cannot move one of your Dell OEM 32-bit XP licenses to another new x64
    machine and then swap that out.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 12, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3Uw==?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Unless you just purchased both computers VERY recently from Dell, then the
    computers are/were not 64 bit computers. You cannot exchange a 32 bit
    license from a computer with a 32bit processor for a 64 bit license.

    You are aware that you must have a 64 bit processor in order to run x64,
    right?

    Is/was either of your Dell computers 64 bit (meaning an Intel EM64T
    processor, as Dell foolishly does not support AMD64 processors)?

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 12, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3Uw==?=

    NNBXX Guest