confused about power supplies

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Deano, Apr 19, 2007.

  1. Deano

    Deano Guest

    I'm in the middle of upgrading my system and I just realised my old psu
    connector won't fit the 24 pin connector on my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe board.

    The manual says I should get one that complies with ATX 12v spec v2.0 or
    later and provides a minimun power of 600W.

    600W psus don't seem that common from what i can see and it's not as though
    I'm running a packed system. I have one DVD-RW, a hard disk and two
    graphics cards.
    The manual also says use of a psu with an even higher power output is
    recommended for loaded systems. I really think they're being overly
    cautious.

    What do you guys think?

    Also I see some psus referred to as having a 20+4 pin connector. There is a
    separate 4 pin (P4) power connector but I'm assuming the psu comes with this
    PLUS a 24 pin connector. Can anyone confirm?

    thanks for reading!

    Deano, Apr 19, 2007

  2. Deano

    philo Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > I'm in the middle of upgrading my system and I just realised my old psu
    > connector won't fit the 24 pin connector on my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe board.
    >
    > The manual says I should get one that complies with ATX 12v spec v2.0 or
    > later and provides a minimun power of 600W.
    >
    > 600W psus don't seem that common from what i can see and it's not as

    though
    > I'm running a packed system. I have one DVD-RW, a hard disk and two
    > graphics cards.
    > The manual also says use of a psu with an even higher power output is
    > recommended for loaded systems. I really think they're being overly
    > cautious.
    >
    > What do you guys think?
    >
    > Also I see some psus referred to as having a 20+4 pin connector. There is

    > separate 4 pin (P4) power connector but I'm assuming the psu comes with

    this
    > PLUS a 24 pin connector. Can anyone confirm?

    Though I'm sure a 500 watt supply would work...with two graphics cards...the
    600 watt supply recommendation
    should probably be heeded. I'm sure (though you did not specifically state
    so) they are hi-end power-hungry devices.

    philo, Apr 19, 2007

  3. Deano

    Deano Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm in the middle of upgrading my system and I just realised my old psu
    > > connector won't fit the 24 pin connector on my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

    board.

    > > The manual says I should get one that complies with ATX 12v spec v2.0 or
    > > later and provides a minimun power of 600W.
    > >
    > > 600W psus don't seem that common from what i can see and it's not as

    > though
    > > I'm running a packed system. I have one DVD-RW, a hard disk and two
    > > graphics cards.
    > > The manual also says use of a psu with an even higher power output is
    > > recommended for loaded systems. I really think they're being overly
    > > cautious.
    > >
    > > What do you guys think?
    > >
    > > Also I see some psus referred to as having a 20+4 pin connector. There

    is
    > > separate 4 pin (P4) power connector but I'm assuming the psu comes with

    > this
    > > PLUS a 24 pin connector. Can anyone confirm?

    > Though I'm sure a 500 watt supply would work...with two graphics

    cards...the
    > 600 watt supply recommendation
    > should probably be heeded. I'm sure (though you did not specifically state
    > so) they are hi-end power-hungry devices.

    Thanks for the reply. I bought two Asus Extreme AX300SE cards - given their
    price I doubt there's much about them that is "extreme". I just want to run
    two monitors.

    My random searching brought me to this page,
    http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=101151, which makes me think that
    the 600W recommendation probably IS overkill.

    Deano, Apr 20, 2007
  4. Deano

    Deano Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message

    > My random searching brought me to this page,
    > http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=101151, which makes me think that
    > the 600W recommendation probably IS overkill.

    Now I'm not so sure, that post was written in 2004....

    Deano, Apr 20, 2007
  5. Deano

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > I'm in the middle of upgrading my system and I just realised my old psu
    > connector won't fit the 24 pin connector on my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe board.
    >
    > The manual says I should get one that complies with ATX 12v spec v2.0 or
    > later and provides a minimun power of 600W.
    >
    > 600W psus don't seem that common from what i can see and it's not as
    > though
    > I'm running a packed system. I have one DVD-RW, a hard disk and two
    > graphics cards.
    > The manual also says use of a psu with an even higher power output is
    > recommended for loaded systems. I really think they're being overly
    > cautious.
    >
    > What do you guys think?
    >
    > Also I see some psus referred to as having a 20+4 pin connector. There is
    > separate 4 pin (P4) power connector but I'm assuming the psu comes with
    > this
    > PLUS a 24 pin connector. Can anyone confirm?
    >
    > thanks for reading!

    Deano, the 20+4 configuration will work. They are made with two connectors -
    a 20 pin for older motherboards, and a 4 pin that connects to the side of
    the 20, effectively creating a 24 pin connection.

    You have two video cards? SLI on PCIe? Then don't be cheap. And a 600 watt
    supply, if that's what is spec'd, is a minimum. Like this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171011

    This one might work fine too:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

    WhzzKdd, Apr 20, 2007
  6. Deano

    old man Guest

    Two monitors? why an earth buy two cards. Any half decent graphic card will
    run two monitors

    old man, Apr 20, 2007
  7. Deano

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message
    > Two monitors? why an earth buy two cards. Any half decent graphic card
    > will
    > run two monitors

    SLI. Read up on it.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 20, 2007
  8. Deano

    Deano Guest

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm in the middle of upgrading my system and I just realised my old psu
    > > connector won't fit the 24 pin connector on my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

    board.

    > > The manual says I should get one that complies with ATX 12v spec v2.0 or
    > > later and provides a minimun power of 600W.
    > >
    > > 600W psus don't seem that common from what i can see and it's not as
    > > though
    > > I'm running a packed system. I have one DVD-RW, a hard disk and two
    > > graphics cards.
    > > The manual also says use of a psu with an even higher power output is
    > > recommended for loaded systems. I really think they're being overly
    > > cautious.
    > >
    > > What do you guys think?
    > >
    > > Also I see some psus referred to as having a 20+4 pin connector. There

    is
    > > separate 4 pin (P4) power connector but I'm assuming the psu comes with
    > > this
    > > PLUS a 24 pin connector. Can anyone confirm?
    > >
    > > thanks for reading!
    > >

    > Deano, the 20+4 configuration will work. They are made with two

    connectors -
    > a 20 pin for older motherboards, and a 4 pin that connects to the side of
    > the 20, effectively creating a 24 pin connection.
    >
    > You have two video cards? SLI on PCIe? Then don't be cheap. And a 600 watt
    > supply, if that's what is spec'd, is a minimum. Like this one:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171011
    >
    > This one might work fine too:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

    Thanks Whzzkdd, especially for the info on the connectors.

    They are both PCI express cards, I'm not sure what SLI is, joining two cards
    together or something more conducive for PC gamers? I don't think I would
    enable that. I just want to gain the benefit of a two monitor setup for my
    database work, IDE in one window and forms and objects in another.

    I definitely don't do any gaming on the PC so my setup is normally quite
    modest. Thus my confusion about my psu needs. I want skimp but I don't
    want to pay for more than I need.

    Deano, Apr 20, 2007
  9. Deano

    Deano Guest

    > "old man" <> wrote in message
    > > Two monitors? why an earth buy two cards. Any half decent graphic card
    > > will
    > > run two monitors

    > SLI. Read up on it.

    My understanding was that I could get a dual-head card to plug in two
    monitors but Windows was fine with two cards. Am I completely mistaken?!

    Deano, Apr 20, 2007
  10. Deano

    PeeCee Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > I'm in the middle of upgrading my system and I just realised my old psu
    > connector won't fit the 24 pin connector on my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe board.
    >
    > The manual says I should get one that complies with ATX 12v spec v2.0 or
    > later and provides a minimun power of 600W.
    >
    > 600W psus don't seem that common from what i can see and it's not as
    > though
    > I'm running a packed system. I have one DVD-RW, a hard disk and two
    > graphics cards.
    > The manual also says use of a psu with an even higher power output is
    > recommended for loaded systems. I really think they're being overly
    > cautious.
    >
    > What do you guys think?
    >
    > Also I see some psus referred to as having a 20+4 pin connector. There is
    > separate 4 pin (P4) power connector but I'm assuming the psu comes with
    > this
    > PLUS a 24 pin connector. Can anyone confirm?
    >
    > thanks for reading!

    Deano

    The 20+4 pin connector is a 20 pin connector that has a 4 pin connector that
    slides onto the end of the 20 pin be fore you plug it into the motherboard.
    Slide the 4 pin on if you have a 24 pin socket on the motherboard, leave it
    off if you don't.

    You may be able to get a 20 to 24 pin adaptor from you local PC store but I
    would suggest you don't do it.
    Most of the Power Supplies with 20 pin connectors topped out at roughly 400
    Watts (there will be exceptions of course) as such I suspect your old supply
    is underpowered.

    Have a look at the Wattage rating on your old supply, if it is not at least
    400 Watts then I would seriously advise not to use it.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 20, 2007
  11. Deano

    Deano Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm in the middle of upgrading my system and I just realised my old psu
    > > connector won't fit the 24 pin connector on my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

    board.

    > > The manual says I should get one that complies with ATX 12v spec v2.0 or
    > > later and provides a minimun power of 600W.
    > >
    > > 600W psus don't seem that common from what i can see and it's not as
    > > though
    > > I'm running a packed system. I have one DVD-RW, a hard disk and two
    > > graphics cards.
    > > The manual also says use of a psu with an even higher power output is
    > > recommended for loaded systems. I really think they're being overly
    > > cautious.
    > >
    > > What do you guys think?
    > >
    > > Also I see some psus referred to as having a 20+4 pin connector. There

    is
    > > separate 4 pin (P4) power connector but I'm assuming the psu comes with
    > > this
    > > PLUS a 24 pin connector. Can anyone confirm?
    > >
    > > thanks for reading!

    > Deano
    >
    > The 20+4 pin connector is a 20 pin connector that has a 4 pin connector

    that
    > slides onto the end of the 20 pin be fore you plug it into the

    motherboard.
    > Slide the 4 pin on if you have a 24 pin socket on the motherboard, leave

    it
    > off if you don't.
    >
    > You may be able to get a 20 to 24 pin adaptor from you local PC store but

    > would suggest you don't do it.
    > Most of the Power Supplies with 20 pin connectors topped out at roughly

    400
    > Watts (there will be exceptions of course) as such I suspect your old

    supply
    > is underpowered.
    >
    > Have a look at the Wattage rating on your old supply, if it is not at

    least
    > 400 Watts then I would seriously advise not to use it.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Thanks, yeah you're right, and it doesn't have that new P4 connector which I
    presume is either essential or at least desirable.

    Deano, Apr 20, 2007
  12. Deano

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "old man" <> wrote in message
    >> > Two monitors? why an earth buy two cards. Any half decent graphic card
    >> > will
    >> > run two monitors

    >> SLI. Read up on it.

    > My understanding was that I could get a dual-head card to plug in two
    > monitors but Windows was fine with two cards. Am I completely mistaken?!

    You're buying an SLI motherboard and not using it for gaming?

    Like old man said, you don't even need two cards for two monitors, unless
    they are both digital.

    I have two system with nVidia cards in them (one is 7300GS and the other is
    7600GT, I think). They have both an analog and a digital output. I have one
    of each monitor type - and can plug in both at the same time. Plus, the
    cards came with a DVI to VGA adapter - I could put two analog monitors on at
    the same time. In fact, I did just that for a recent rebuild/upgrade for a
    client. One card, two monitors, low cost.

    And if you aren't using the SLI then you're right - you might get by on a
    power supply with a little less output, but I don't ever buy anything less
    than 500 watts anymore.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 20, 2007
  13. Deano

    Deano Guest

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> "old man" <> wrote in message

    card

    > >> SLI. Read up on it.

    > > My understanding was that I could get a dual-head card to plug in two
    > > monitors but Windows was fine with two cards. Am I completely

    mistaken?!

    > You're buying an SLI motherboard and not using it for gaming?
    >
    > Like old man said, you don't even need two cards for two monitors, unless
    > they are both digital.
    >
    > I have two system with nVidia cards in them (one is 7300GS and the other

    is
    > 7600GT, I think). They have both an analog and a digital output. I have

    one
    > of each monitor type - and can plug in both at the same time. Plus, the
    > cards came with a DVI to VGA adapter - I could put two analog monitors on

    at
    > the same time. In fact, I did just that for a recent rebuild/upgrade for a
    > client. One card, two monitors, low cost.
    >
    > And if you aren't using the SLI then you're right - you might get by on a
    > power supply with a little less output, but I don't ever buy anything less
    > than 500 watts anymore.

    To be honest I only recently decided to upgrade my system and any new
    terminology has got me beat. I juts bought a board that was recommended to
    me as a reasonably priced upgrade to a system that was getting close to five
    years old.

    My main monitor is analogue and so is the other one I have access to, so no
    DVI connections for me. I thought that two cards each with a VGA connection
    would be the obvious solution - I guess it will still work, right?

    Deano, Apr 20, 2007
  14. Deano

    Deano Guest

    Thanks for all the help again, I have just bought a nice looking
    Coolermaster 500W model which, fingers-crossed should be fine and hopefully
    will arrive on Saturday.

    Deano, Apr 20, 2007
  15. Deano

    Deano Guest

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > My understanding was that I could get a dual-head card to plug in two
    > > monitors but Windows was fine with two cards. Am I completely

    mistaken?!

    > You're buying an SLI motherboard and not using it for gaming?
    >
    > Like old man said, you don't even need two cards for two monitors, unless
    > they are both digital.
    >
    > I have two system with nVidia cards in them (one is 7300GS and the other

    is
    > 7600GT, I think). They have both an analog and a digital output. I have

    one
    > of each monitor type - and can plug in both at the same time. Plus, the
    > cards came with a DVI to VGA adapter - I could put two analog monitors on

    at
    > the same time.

    Ye gods, there's an adaptor for bloody everything isn't there? :) Oh well,
    I have a spare graphics card then....

    Deano, Apr 20, 2007
  16. Deano

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Deano" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > My understanding was that I could get a dual-head card to plug in two
    >> > monitors but Windows was fine with two cards. Am I completely

    > mistaken?!
    >> >

    >> You're buying an SLI motherboard and not using it for gaming?
    >>
    >> Like old man said, you don't even need two cards for two monitors, unless
    >> they are both digital.
    >>
    >> I have two system with nVidia cards in them (one is 7300GS and the other

    > is
    >> 7600GT, I think). They have both an analog and a digital output. I have

    > one
    >> of each monitor type - and can plug in both at the same time. Plus, the
    >> cards came with a DVI to VGA adapter - I could put two analog monitors on

    > at
    >> the same time.

    > Ye gods, there's an adaptor for bloody everything isn't there? :) Oh
    > well,
    > I have a spare graphics card then....

    Heh heh - so do I. But I do that on purpose <g>

    Maybe you can return it? Most of the time that's not a problem.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 20, 2007
  17. Deano

    Deano Guest

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Ye gods, there's an adaptor for bloody everything isn't there? :) Oh
    > > well,
    > > I have a spare graphics card then....
    > >

    > Heh heh - so do I. But I do that on purpose <g>
    >
    > Maybe you can return it? Most of the time that's not a problem.

    Good idea, I only got them 2 days ago so it shouldn't be a problem.

    Deano, Apr 20, 2007
  18. Deano

    PeeCee Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    ship
    " a system that was getting close to five years old."

    That would mean the old PS was probably 230 - 250 Watts, definiately not
    strong enough.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 21, 2007
  19. Deano

    Deano Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > ship
    > " a system that was getting close to five years old."
    >

    > That would mean the old PS was probably 230 - 250 Watts, definiately not
    > strong enough.

    I was using a 4mb graphics card and that was definitely over 5 years old :)

    Deano, Apr 21, 2007