Confused about how many exams

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by tod, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. tod

    tod Guest

    I just recently got interested in the MCAD cert. So I was looking at
    the required exams to decide what materials to study. I went to the
    Microsoft site and picked what exams to prepare for (70-306, 70-310,
    70-229), then bought some books. I'm fairly knowledgable about VB and
    SQL, and we've started doing a lot of XML stuff at work, so those
    three seem to be right up my ally.

    One of the books I bought says I have to choose FOUR exams. I'd trust
    Microsoft over anyone else since it is their certification. But, the
    four exam approach seems to make more sense. Whether you choose VB.Net
    or C#, there's an exam for Windows-based apps and one for Web-based
    apps. Then one for XML and the elective.

    Did Microsoft initially require four and then changed it to three and
    maybe the book is old? (Six months on the shelf is considered old
    nowadays.) Did Microsoft mistate the requirements on their web site?
    (Microsft? Make a mistake? No!) Or am I using that fuzzy math again?
    Somebody hep' me!

    tod

    Oh... bonus question. Has anyone studied for or passed the exams for
    C#? Would anyone recommend certification with C# over VB.Net? Okay..
    that's two questions.
    tod, Feb 4, 2004

  2. In news: ,
    tod <> wrote:
    > I just recently got interested in the MCAD cert. ...
    > One of the books I bought says I have to choose FOUR exams.

    Hi Tod,

    The MCSD for Visual Studio 6 is 4 exams. The MCDBA is 4 exams. The MCAD (a
    subset of MCSD for .NET) is 3 exams. The MCSD for .NET is 5 exams. You can
    use the 70-229 towards all 4 of those certifications.

    Sounds like a typo in the book. Is there an error list published someplace?

    www.cindywinegarden.com
    Cindy Winegarden, Feb 4, 2004