Conflicting Wifi cards?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Luiz Horacio, Jul 6, 2007.

  1. Luiz Horacio

    Luiz Horacio Guest

    Hi,

    Probably a stupid question, but it is killing me. In fact, there are two
    stupid questions.

    I had two machines in AdHoc mode with two LW2110P 11Mbps cards. They had a
    bad connection, and when I needed a third machine I decided to buy a
    wireless router. So I bought a Linksys BEFW11S4, which worked more or less
    fine. Two machines had the LW2110P cards and one used the LAN port.

    Then I found that my router should not be on the floor, and certainly not
    behind a granite wall (no laughs please) to make signal better. And this
    knowledge brought all my troubles (ignorance is bliss...).

    Well, cabling two computers (now I had four) was not easy, so I bought two
    new Wifi cards. I could not find two new LW2110P, so I got two ENLWI-G
    54Mbps. They were much easier to install, so I lost only one day making
    mistakes.

    Well, they worked fine, but killed my two other cards... The two computer
    using the LW2110P work so slow that they are almost useless. If I turn the
    new cards off and use cables the network works fine again. Looks like the
    new cards grabs all network.

    Now the stupid question: is there a way to correct this or I'll need to buy
    new cards or router?

    Second, my Linksys BEFW11S4 keeps dying and I need to turn it off and on
    again so that the cards can work. They keep connected, with good signal, but
    can't communicate. This seems to happen more frequently when the ENLWI-G
    54Mbps cards are in use. Should I change the router?

    Thanks for all you people who had patience to read all this post.

    Luiz Horacio
    Luiz Horacio, Jul 6, 2007

  2. Luiz Horacio

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Your Linksys router is pretty much an antique. It doesn't know about
    "G" wireless and is probably in need of replacement. while G is
    backwards compatible with B, some older routers just can't handle
    the traffic. The last hardware version (4.0) of this router should
    be running the latest firmware (April 2005). If it isn't, update it
    and see what happens. Firmware for older versions dates from 2002 to
    2004 being the last version released.

    If updating the firmware doesn't help, the pursue a new router (one
    that is not discontinued and obsolete). Make sure it is set to run
    in mixed b/g compatibility mode.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Jul 6, 2007

  3. Hi
    As said above the BEFW11S4 is one of the oldest Wireless Router on the
    ,market and it was not too hot to begin with.
    One thing you can try before buying a new Router, Look at the new cards
    Drivers and force the ne card to work at 802.11b only (I.e., No mixed mode
    or 802.11g only).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 6, 2007
  4. Luiz Horacio

    Luiz Horacio Guest

    Hi Barb and Jack,

    Thanks for your help.

    I know it is an old router, but it worked fine, so...

    Anyway, I updated it, removed the new wireless card, reinstalled it, set it
    up to B, did all I could think about to find what was happening and where
    it was happening. And I found.

    As a side-effect of changing everything, messing around and so on the
    network is wonderfully fast now. All four machines are wireless, two with
    the old B cards and two with the new G cards set to B.

    But if I connect my wireless router to the cable router my ISP installed,
    everything ruins down. Connection with Internet is fast and perfect on all
    four machines, but they hardly see each other and trying to make anything
    through the network is useless. In the same way, the wireless router keeps
    'dying': signal is there, strong and perfect, but no connection to anything
    until you turn the router off and on again.

    Disconnecting Internet router makes everything run perfectly.

    Any suggestion?

    Thanks again for your time and patience

    Luiz Horacio

    Luiz Horacio, Jul 14, 2007
  5. Luiz Horacio

[...]

    Luiz Horacio, Jul 14, 2007
  6. Luiz Horacio

    Barb Bowman Guest

    are you saying that you have a router connected to another
    router/cable modem? what is the model and brand of the device your
    broadband provider gave you?

    what is the hardware version and firmware version of the Linksys
    router?

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Jul 15, 2007