Conflicting codecs??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by paulg7083, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. paulg7083

    paulg7083 Guest

    Has anyone experienced problems with conflicting codecs? Is this
    possible?

    I have had my PC (Athlon 64 3800+ with Asus MB) for about 4 months and
    have loaded up various video editing/DVD authoring packages (Pinnacle
    Studio, Womble, Nero 7.xx, WinAVi etc) and the Storm Codec pack.

    I have had problems as follows:

    1) In Windows Explorer, when you right click on any video file the
    screen blanks for a couple of seconds and then comes back again.
    2) When I change Windows accounts the screen goes blank before logging
    into the other account.
    3) The PC suddenly powers off - totally. This has happened usually when
    it is not being used - I have been in the room when it happens, there
    is no warning, it just powers off.

    Event log shows nothing - anyone know something better that can log all
    sorts of info about the PC.

    I have had the PC back to the store where I bought it and their tests
    could find no problems, but I did make them replace the power supply.
    The tech suggested I might have conflicting drivers (are codecs drivers
    of a sort, since you can view them in device manager).

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Paul
    paulg7083, Nov 16, 2006

  2. paulg7083

    paulg7083 Guest

    I should also add that I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150MCE card
    installed and using the standard WinTV software.

    Paul
    paulg7083, Nov 16, 2006

  3. paulg7083

    Bill's News Guest

    paulg7083 wrote:
    > Has anyone experienced problems with conflicting codecs? Is
    > this
    > possible?
    >
    > I have had my PC (Athlon 64 3800+ with Asus MB) for about 4
    > months and
    > have loaded up various video editing/DVD authoring packages
    > (Pinnacle
    > Studio, Womble, Nero 7.xx, WinAVi etc) and the Storm Codec
    > pack.
    >
    > I have had problems as follows:
    >
    > 1) In Windows Explorer, when you right click on any video file
    > the
    > screen blanks for a couple of seconds and then comes back
    > again.
    > 2) When I change Windows accounts the screen goes blank before
    > logging
    > into the other account.
    > 3) The PC suddenly powers off - totally. This has happened
    > usually
    > when it is not being used - I have been in the room when it
    > happens,
    > there is no warning, it just powers off.
    >
    > Event log shows nothing - anyone know something better that
    > can log
    > all sorts of info about the PC.
    >
    > I have had the PC back to the store where I bought it and
    > their tests
    > could find no problems, but I did make them replace the power
    > supply.
    > The tech suggested I might have conflicting drivers (are
    > codecs
    > drivers of a sort, since you can view them in device manager).
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul

    I've recently bought a 2g AMD 64x2 3800 - 1 gig - from DELL
    (call me irresponsible;-0)
    I also use a Hauppauge USB2 WinTV2k v3.0.

    Here is a smattering of the problems I've had, none of which I
    now attribute to the capture card nor its software.

    My first ever non-Intel CPU.

    Day one problem:

    Periodically the sound stops. Most apps ignore the error and
    proceed soundlessly. Control panel, sounds & audio devices,
    sounds tab, asterisk > (play sound) reports an error (sorry,
    failed to write it down). Reboot restores sound.

    Subsequent problems:

    Over the two days following setup, I installed the apps which
    were running problem free on this PC's predecessor (a 2gp4-512,
    multi drive) and are still running on a Toshiba P35 laptop
    (3.2gp4d-512 - 80g hdd)

    The video capture program, WinTV2K, display panel (Hauppauge
    USB2 capture device) picture freezes, while the application
    continues otherwise unaffected to capture correctly to a file.
    Obviously not a major problem, simply disconcerting.

    The USB2 modem (Creative DE5671-1) not previously used, and
    operated by Call Station v3.10 (the same software run on the
    2gp4 with internal modem) frequently fails to catch the caller
    ID.

    An external DVD burner (NEC 3550) needs to be plugged in,
    unplugged, and plugged in again - sometimes repeatedly - before
    recognized by the system. Power on while plugged in, or reboot
    while powered on and plugged in, are insufficient to recognize
    the unit. The extra unplug/replug is always required.

    Periodically the system performance drops drastically (typical
    apps here are TV capture, editing out of commercials, conversion
    from MPEG2 to MPEG4, burning as-is to DVD+RW data discs). A two
    pass conversion is typically done at 100 fps during the first
    pass and 35 fps during the second pass. When I notice the
    performance operating at half or less those frame rates, I abort
    the process. Windows task manager shows 60% +/- 10% dual CPU
    usage before the abort. After the abort, one processor drops to
    2% or so, while the other continues to fluctuate around 60%
    though no processes are reported as consuming more than 2% and
    sys-idle is at ~98%. A reboot causes the system to hang at
    "Windows is shutting down" every time. Power off, wait, on
    again is the only cure.

    Two +RW discs, burned on the internal drive by Nero 6.6.0.12
    were not only unreadable, they could not be erased - as the
    drive never relinquishes control back to the software after
    these burned disks are inserted. Other discs, +RW, +R, and -R
    have burned properly - though I tend to use the NEC 3550 in fear
    of a repetition. I did not think to check whether this ghost
    CPU usage occurred during the burns, as I was unaware of the
    problem until the burn verify step hung. Afterward is when I
    found the discs inaccessible.

    Interestingly all discs burn faster than they verify?

    Three video discs copied from the internal drive to HDD had
    severe drop outs when played. The same discs, when read from
    the external NEC 3550 had none. These discs had been recorded
    months earlier on the replaced PC. I now only restore video
    from and record video to the NEC drive.

    I've recently added a USB2 hub (7:1), after which I was able to
    add my HP 840C DeskJet. While this works properly most times,
    the printer is sometimes not recognized (similar to the 3550)
    until a second power down, power up. It is seldom initiated
    from the power down state by Word - which it never failed to do
    on the 2gp4 nor the laptop.

    I've loaded the DELL support app, run check now, and the first
    thing it tells me is that a system check point has not been
    taken for more that 30 days. Opening the system restore
    manager, I find that a restore point exists for every day but
    one of the past 15 days. Needless to say, I find no reason to
    run, nor rely on, this DELL program.

    The 2gp4-512 I replaced with this DELL unit was purchased in
    2000 and has been powered down but 4 times in the six years for
    hardware mods, and rebooted only when installing new software.
    The DELL DIMC521 has to be rebooted several times a day just to
    recover form the above issues.

    I've delayed writing to DELL because it's not crystal clear
    wherein the faults lie. However, since all these apps run
    without incident on other PCs, I can only conclude it is this PC
    creating the situation.

    Note to the OP: This is not my first DELL, though first in a
    while, and I've bought several non-AMD DELLs for others which
    have run fine. I also have a Toshiba P35 laptop, which is the
    Intel 3.2 GHz mobility version of the AMD dual core chip. Only
    this AMD system exhibits problems with the same apps running on
    Intel systems. Still, I can not pin point the source of these
    problems and am reluctant to point more than one finger in that
    direction.
    Bill's News, Nov 19, 2006
  4. Bill's News wrote:
> [...]

    > 2% or so, while the other continues to fluctuate around 60%
    > though no processes are reported as consuming more than 2% and
    > sys-idle is at ~98%. A reboot causes the system to hang at
    > "Windows is shutting down" every time. Power off, wait, on
    > again is the only cure.
    >
    > Two +RW discs, burned on the internal drive by Nero 6.6.0.12
    > were not only unreadable, they could not be erased - as the
    > drive never relinquishes control back to the software after
    > these burned disks are inserted. Other discs, +RW, +R, and -R
    > have burned properly - though I tend to use the NEC 3550 in fear
    > of a repetition. I did not think to check whether this ghost
    > CPU usage occurred during the burns, as I was unaware of the
    > problem until the burn verify step hung. Afterward is when I
    > found the discs inaccessible.
    >
    > Interestingly all discs burn faster than they verify?

    Yes, typically burning at 18X and verifying at 4X.

    Anthony Marsh, Nov 19, 2006
  5. paulg7083

    Bill's News Guest

    Anthony Marsh wrote:
    > Bill's News wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Interestingly all discs burn faster than they verify?
    >>

    > Yes, typically burning at 18X and verifying at 4X.

    <snip>

    I mentioned this, in this preparatory note to DELL, only because
    I had also mentioned using the NEC 3550 externally. The 3550
    does not have any read constraint and often reads at 14 to 16x.
    The built in drive burns at something less than 16x but verifies
    at 4x to 6x. My gibe is that DELL actually felt it necessary to
    use such a drive - which will be replaced with an NEC as soon as
    I iron out the rest of the issues. If the options existed, I'd
    have ordered the machine with no DVD drive, no OS (I have a
    day-one, purchased copy of XPHE and the SP 1 & 2 CD updates from
    MS), and a firewire 800 controller. Seems a travesty to have
    USB2 as the only external interface in such a relatively fast 2g
    PC.

    While the price was quite reasonable, I've little doubt - at the
    moment - that an Intel CPU would not have given me as many
    problems. AMD: not ready for prime time. DELL: well they've
    let me down after at least half dozen PC purchases.

    BTW, not meant to impugn the impressive performance of this
    cheap machine, when it's working!
    Bill's News, Nov 19, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    (paulg7083) says...

    > I have had my PC (Athlon 64 3800+ with Asus MB) for about 4 months and
    > have loaded up various video editing/DVD authoring packages (Pinnacle
    > Studio, Womble, Nero 7.xx, WinAVi etc) and the Storm Codec pack.

    I had to uninstall Nero and reinstall all my Sonic software because the
    Nero installation trashed everything, including DLA. My external video
    capture system uses Sonic MyDVD, and Nero made the entire system
    unusable.

    --
    For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
    with my first name and last initial.