    --

    Ivorh
    Suffolk, United Kingdom

    Ivor, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Ivor

    Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:48:05 GMT, "Ivor" <> wrote:

    |> I have reinstalled "MGI
    |> PhotoSuite 111" , Trouble is if I try to open it I get "Internet Properties"
    |> I tried to Uninstall MGI to reinstall But can't as a warning tells MGI is in
    |> use. (Which I don't think it is) I can't remember how to find running
    |> programs in xp to stop MGI

    You got an icon of this program in any task bar?
    then right click it and stop it, then try to uninstall it.

    if that fails, right click on the time and select task manager and see
    if you can stop the program(s) there.

    --

    http://abacus.bates.edu/~bpfohl/images/fark/iraqposter.jpg

    , Jan 31, 2005

  3. Ivor

    owldo @ PAX Guest

    Might be a file association problem! Open Windows Explorer/tools/folder
    options/file types/ Look for MGI in the file association types, see what
    program it opens with. If it dosen't say it opens with MGI change the opens
    with to MGI

    "Ivor" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya all, I Had to format and reinstall Windows xp. And I'm having a

    problem

    owldo @ PAX, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Ivor

    Dan O Guest

    Ivor wrote:

    I can't remember how to find running programs in xp to stop MGI. Or is
    there anther way
    to repair it. I tried to Uninstall MGI to reinstall But can't as a warning
    tells MGI is in
    use. (Which I don't think it is) ..... Thanks for any help.

    Ivor - Try the previous suggestion about checking the Taskbar to see if MGI
    has an Icon
    there, and closing the program out by right-clicking the icon,
    and choosing - Close,
    or End, or whatever terminology they are using for > Shut Down
    This Program.

    If you don't see an Icon in the Task Bar - You can try this:

    Start your computer as you normally would, then when it gets all done
    booting, do this:

    On your keyboard hit - Ctrl + Alt + Del simultaneously, which will bring up
    the Task
    Manager for Windows XP.

    Check Running Processes, and Running Applications for anything having to do
    with
    MGI Photo Suite. Even though that Application might not be running, it may
    have an
    associated background function that is running.

    Once you find the name of the process that you suspect, write the name of it
    down on a
    piece of paper. Then go to the "Start" menu, and navigate to the following
    path:
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Task Bar and Start Menu, and launch that
    choice.

    In the new window that pops up, click on the Start Menu 'Tab', and then hit
    the button
    named 'Customize'. In the next window click on the 'Advanced' tab. Scroll
    down until you
    see a choice for 'System Administrative Tools'. Make the choice there to
    'Display' those tools
    in the Start Menu, then choose OK in every window you just opened to confirm
    your choice,
    while at the same time closing those windows out.

    You should now see the 'System Administrative Tools' in your Start Menu when
    you open it.
    Navigate to the Start Menu > Administrative Tools > Services ---- It should
    have an Icon
    that looks like Two Gears meshing together. Launch that Tool, and in the new
    window, scroll
    through the listings for Services, looking for anything that matches the
    name that you wrote
    down on the paper (anything having to do with MGI Photo Suite) If you find a
    service there
    that does correspond to MGI, and you are sure of that, you can right-click
    that service, and
    then choose the properties tab to launch a new window on it's properties.

    In the properties window, go to the 'General' tab, and scroll down until you
    see the selection
    for 'Startup Type'. Select 'Disable', or at least 'Manual', then OK your
    choice on the way out.

    Next, open MSConfig - if you don't know how to launch MSConfig, you can
    simply hit
    Start > Run, and in the Run box, type in > msconfig

    That will bring up the Microsoft Configuration panel. Go to the 'Startup'
    tab, and scroll down
    the listing of programs that Windows launches at Start Up. If you see
    anything having to do
    with MGI Photo Suite, simply remove the checkmark from the box in front of
    it, then go to
    the bottom of that window, and hit 'Apply' > Close.

    At that point Windows will ask you if you want to Re-boot. For right now,
    choose the other
    option > Exit without Re-booting.

    Then you can give Windows an orderly shutdown, by closing out any open
    programs, and
    closing all open windows first, the way you normally do, and then reboot the
    computer.

    After you re-boot, Windows will display a "nag" screen, telling you that you
    have things
    disabled, etc. etc. Just tell Windows - OK - (I know what I'm doing) to
    close out the nag
    screen.

    Next, you want to go back to Administrative Tools > Services, and make sure
    that whatever
    you disabled before is Not running now - and - do the same with MSconfig. If
    you did
    everything correctly, there shouldn't be any part of the 'MGI Photo Suite'
    running, and
    Windows will now let you Un-Install that application without complaints.

    It would be a good idea to copy the information I just gave you (above) to a
    Text document,
    or a Wordpad document, and Print it out before you start on these
    procedures.

    Regards,
    Dan

    Hiya all, I Had to format and reinstall Windows xp. And I'm having a
    problem
    with a program, Which I Didn't have before. I have reinstalled "MGI
    PhotoSuite 111" , Trouble is if I try to open it I get "Internet
    Properties"
    Iit is) I can't remember how to find running programs in xp to stop MGI.
    Or is there anther way to repair t tried to Uninstall MGI to reinstall But
    can't as a warning tells MGI is in
    use. (Which I don't think he conflict.
    Thanks for any help.

    --