    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080923-study-confirms-users-are-idiots.html>.

    Are most PC users idiots? Or is it that they get bombarded with so many of
    these alerts on Dimdows that they simply stop paying attention to them?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Are most PC users idiots?

    Yep.

    EMB, Sep 24, 2008

  3. In message <>, EMB wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Are most PC users idiots?

    > Yep.

    That's the kind of mentality espoused by those who value technology for its
    own sake, rather than as a means to an end. Those who think their special
    knowledge makes them part of some elite, superior to those less
    technologically-inclined. Those who laugh at the "stupid user" stories in
    the computer magazines.

    You know, wankers.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Guest

    On Sep 24, 7:34 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, EMB wrote:
    >
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > >> Are most PC users idiots?

    > > Yep.

    That's the kind of mentality espoused by those who value free software
    for its
    own sake, rather than as a means to an end. Those who think their
    special
    knowledge makes them part of some elite, superior to those less
    open source-inclined. Those who laugh at the "stupid Windows user"
    stories in
    the computer magazines.

    You know, wankers.

    , Sep 24, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    J Brockley Guest

    > In message <>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are most PC users idiots?

    >> Yep.

    > That's the kind of mentality espoused by those who value technology for
    > its
    > own sake, rather than as a means to an end. Those who think their special
    > knowledge makes them part of some elite, superior to those less
    > technologically-inclined. Those who laugh at the "stupid user" stories in
    > the computer magazines.
    >
    > You know, wankers.

    Aren't you the one who can't spell Windows and generally comes across as
    fitting perfectly in that category?

    J Brockley, Sep 24, 2008
  6. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:48:18 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Are most PC users idiots?

    > In so far as most PC-users are users of MS Windows, the answer is Yes!

    I prefer not to think so. If they really were idiots, then there would be no
    hope of making them see the error of their ways, and helping them
    appreciate the benefits of Free Software.

    I prefer to think that they are simply uninformed, and capable of
    enlightenment.

    An old Arab proverb I read somewhere:

    "He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise--follow him.
    He who knows and knows not he knows, he is a asleep--wake him.
    He who knows not, and knows he knows not, he is a child--teach him.
    He who knows not, and knows not he knows not, he is a fool--shun him."

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2008

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 25, 2008
  8. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > They bitch about paying for all their expensive clutch repairs and their
    > excessive fuel consumption. They fix their problem by buying another car
    > - with an automatic transmission.

    So the problem solves itself. What exactly is your complaint about that?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 25, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Murray Symon Guest

    Carnations wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:33:29 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Carnations wrote:
    >>
    >>> They bitch about paying for all their expensive clutch repairs and
    >>> their excessive fuel consumption. They fix their problem by buying
    >>> another car - with an automatic transmission.

    >> So the problem solves itself. What exactly is your complaint about that?

    > They still cannot drive a car with an efficient transmission. They're
    > still week drivers. They still do not understand what they're doing.

    Why is one "week" if one chooses the solution that best suits their
    own requirements. IMHO, your problem seems to be that you expect
    everyone else to be just like you. Learn to accept diversity.

    Murray Symon, Sep 27, 2008
  10. On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:35:09 +1200, Murray Symon
    <> wrote in

    > Carnations wrote:

    >>> So the problem solves itself. What exactly is your complaint about that?

    >> They still cannot drive a car with an efficient transmission. They're
    >> still week drivers. They still do not understand what they're doing.

    > Why is one "week" if one chooses the solution that best suits their
    > own requirements. IMHO, your problem seems to be that you expect
    > everyone else to be just like you. Learn to accept diversity.

    I believe Mr Murray is a happy(?) pedestrian who does not drive.

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 27, 2008
  11. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:33:29 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Carnations wrote:
    >>
    >>> They bitch about paying for all their expensive clutch repairs and
    >>> their excessive fuel consumption. They fix their problem by buying
    >>> another car - with an automatic transmission.

    >> So the problem solves itself. What exactly is your complaint about that?

    > They still cannot drive a car with an efficient transmission. They're
    > still week drivers. They still do not understand what they're doing.

    Do _you_ understand what you're doing?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 27, 2008
  12. On 27 Sep 2008 16:42:14 +1200, Carnations <>
    wrote in <news:p>:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:43:00 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:35:09 +1200, Murray Symon
    >> <> wrote in

    >>> Why is one "week" if one chooses the solution that best suits their own
    >>> requirements. IMHO, your problem seems to be that you expect everyone
    >>> else to be just like you. Learn to accept diversity.

    >> I believe Mr Murray is a happy(?) pedestrian who does not drive.

    > you believe falsely.
    >
    > I can and DO drive if and when I choose to.
    >
    > In fact at one time I was driving a long-wheel-base van as a part of my
    > job.

    Uh-huh.

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 27, 2008
  13. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 16:40:48 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> They still cannot drive a car with an efficient transmission. They're
    >>> still week drivers. They still do not understand what they're doing.

    >> Do _you_ understand what you're doing?

    > I understand how the brakes work, how the engine works, how the
    > transmission and clutch work, how the wheels are held onto the axles, etc.

    Do you really understand how the engine works? You know about the Carnot
    cycle and thermodynamic efficiency? Did you know that the spark timing has
    to be advanced as the engine speeds up? Do you know how turbulence affects
    fuel-air mixing? Do you know how many different combustion products are
    produced, and why?

    Do you really understand how the wheels are held onto the axles? What
    exactly are the forces behind friction? What are the pros and cons of
    different suspension arrangements? Why shock absorbers are needed? Or an
    Ackerman linkage? How oversteer and understeer come about?

    Do you really understand how the transmission works? Do you know how
    synchromesh works? Why use helical gears? What's the difference between a
    universal joint and a constant-velocity joint?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 27, 2008
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > In fact at one time I was driving a long-wheel-base van as a part of my
    > job.

    FSVO driving ;-)

    EMB, Sep 27, 2008
  15. On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:08:08 +1200, Jerry <> wrote in

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:35:09 +1200, Murray Symon
    >> <> wrote in

    >>> Why is one "week" if one chooses the solution that best suits their
    >>> own requirements. IMHO, your problem seems to be that you expect
    >>> everyone else to be just like you. Learn to accept diversity.

    >> I believe Mr Murray is a happy(?) pedestrian who does not drive.
    >>

    > but he can reach his stick shift in his pocket

    I defer to your obviously superior knowledge.

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 27, 2008
  16. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:24:42 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >In message <gbkn3q$cva$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> I understand how the brakes work, how the engine works, how the
    >>> transmission and clutch work, how the wheels are held onto the axles,
    >>> etc.

    >> Do you really understand how the engine works? You know about the Carnot
    >> cycle and thermodynamic efficiency? Did you know that the spark timing
    >> has to be advanced as the engine speeds up? Do you know how turbulence
    >> affects fuel-air mixing? Do you know how many different combustion
    >> products are produced, and why?
    >>
    >> Do you really understand how the wheels are held onto the axles? What
    >> exactly are the forces behind friction? What are the pros and cons of
    >> different suspension arrangements? Why shock absorbers are needed? Or an
    >> Ackerman linkage? How oversteer and understeer come about?
    >>
    >> Do you really understand how the transmission works? Do you know how
    >> synchromesh works? Why use helical gears? What's the difference between a
    >> universal joint and a constant-velocity joint?
    >>

    > Yes to some, no to others. To the mechanical ones, mostly yes. To the
    > more theoretical ones, mostly no. :eek:)

    And you have the cheek to look down on others and claim they "do not
    understand what they're doing".

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 27, 2008
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:00:25 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Carnations wrote:
    >>> In fact at one time I was driving a long-wheel-base van as a part of my
    >>> job.

    >> FSVO driving ;-)

    > "FSVO"??

    For Some Value Of