Configuring VOIP through a VPN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Phil Rothwell, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    We have recently implemented a VPN that links our UK and Chennai
    (India) operations, using a PIX515 and PIX505.

    The VPN appears to work fine and we can connect using FTP/HTTP and
    even map a windows drive.

    However, when we install an IP phone in India, it won't establish a
    connection with the Avaya IP office system in the UK. The same phone
    works okay when connected to the UK network.

    From the logs it looks as though the H.225 traffic is passing through
    the VPN, but no H.323 packets are arriving. We have included the
    "usual" voip fixup commands at each end...

    fixup protocol h323 h225 1720
    fixup protocol h323 ras 1718-1719
    fixup protocol sip 5060
    fixup protocol sip udp 5060

    and enabled all traffic to pass through the link.

    sysopt connection permit-ipsec
    sysopt connection permit-pptp
    sysopt connection permit-l2tp

    Does anyone have any idea what we may be doing wrong?

    Phil Rothwell, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Phil Rothwell

    PES Guest

    Phil Rothwell wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have recently implemented a VPN that links our UK and Chennai
    > (India) operations, using a PIX515 and PIX505.
    >
    > The VPN appears to work fine and we can connect using FTP/HTTP and
    > even map a windows drive.
    >
    > However, when we install an IP phone in India, it won't establish a
    > connection with the Avaya IP office system in the UK. The same phone
    > works okay when connected to the UK network.
    >
    > From the logs it looks as though the H.225 traffic is passing through
    > the VPN, but no H.323 packets are arriving. We have included the
    > "usual" voip fixup commands at each end...
    >
    > fixup protocol h323 h225 1720
    > fixup protocol h323 ras 1718-1719
    > fixup protocol sip 5060
    > fixup protocol sip udp 5060
    >
    > and enabled all traffic to pass through the link.
    >
    > sysopt connection permit-ipsec
    > sysopt connection permit-pptp
    > sysopt connection permit-l2tp
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what we may be doing wrong?

    I'm assuming that the pix is a 506 and that 505 is a typo. The fixup's
    should not be required unless you are allowing the vpn traffic to be
    nat'd. I would try disabling them if you don't need them for something
    else. I don't think the phones work with nat unless the nat device is
    Avaya q931 friendly. Can a workstation at the India office ping the Avaya?

    --
    -------------------------
    Paul Stewart

    PES, Nov 16, 2004

  3. >
    > I'm assuming that the pix is a 506 and that 505 is a typo. The fixup's
    > should not be required unless you are allowing the vpn traffic to be
    > nat'd. I would try disabling them if you don't need them for something
    > else. I don't think the phones work with nat unless the nat device is
    > Avaya q931 friendly. Can a workstation at the India office ping the Avaya?

    Good assumption, the pix is a 506.

    We finally got the the system going by upgrading the firmware on the
    Avaya 46XX phones - it seems that some versions don't like connecting
    to pixs.

    Thanks for the information about the fixup protocols. We will remove
    them in due course.

    Phil

    Phil Rothwell, Nov 16, 2004