    something? If the manufacturer can't be bothered to offer this
    facility is there any other method of backing it up (apart from
    manually noting all the values?)

    Monty, Mar 15, 2010

  2. Monty

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:24:27 +0000, Monty wrote:

    > Having seen some discussion here recently I obtained one of these
    > devices. On paper they look great but configuring them is a nightmare.
    > Two questions:
    > 1 Where is the best place to find a user-friendly set of instructions
    > for configuration in UK?
    > 2 To my amazement the SPA 3102 doesn't seem to have any facility to
    > backup the user settings to a file. Is that right or am I missing
    > something? If the manufacturer can't be bothered to offer this facility
    > is there any other method of backing it up (apart from manually noting
    > all the values?)

    Look for the provisioning manual on the website. There is a way, at least
    with some models (it works for the SPA2000 and SPA8000, both of which I
    have). It does however require (a) a TFTP server and (b) a way of
    generating a particular SIP message.

    I took an alternative approach. I built an XML file containing all of my
    settings. Put that on a TFTP server (you can use an HTTP server too) and
    use the special 'resync' URL in the full manual.

    It means you have to maintain your settings 'offline' but it also makes
    some things easier. For example, I can automate the generation of the XML
    file via a script, and configure all eight lines on the SPA8000 in one go.

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Mar 15, 2010

  3. Monty

    Steve Hayes Guest

    There's a remarkably simple method of backing up the configuration that I
    found ages ago and noted. If whoever worked it out reads this, many thanks.

    The note I saved was:

    Use the manual method twice – once for the router and once for the voice tab
    and you will cover all your settings.

    For your reference, the manual method without the need for software is:

    To save your configuration, log into your SPA-3102 web interface as admin.
    Change the view to advanced. Select the File "" Save As option from your web
    browser and save the configuration page to your PC's hard drive. Thats it!
    The file you have saved can be used to restore your configuration later (if
    something goes wrong) or can be sent to another user to assist in trouble
    shooting.

    Now to restore settings that you have previously saved, you need to edit the
    configuration page that you saved to your PC's hard drive. To do this, find
    the page on your hard drive, right click on it and Open With "" Notepad.
    Now, do a search for the following line of code.
    <FORM action="sipura.spa" ...........................
    You need to change this line to read:
    <FORM action="http://IP Address of Sipura/admin/asipura.spa" ........
    Where IP Address of Sipura is the IP address of your Sipura SPA-3102.

    Now save the page, then load it up in your web browser, when you hit Submit
    Changes, your saved configuration will be loaded back into your SPA-3102.

    It works a treat. Good luck!

    On a slightly different aspect: I've previously moaned about terrible echoes
    on PSTN<>phone connections through the SPA3102 but these seem to have abated
    over the years. Whether this is due to firmware updates (I'm now using
    5.1.10(GW)) or changes elsewhere in the phone network, I don't know. Anyway
    in my experience, it's now OK to enable "Echo Canc Adapt Enable" on the Line
    1 and PSTN tabs and "Echo Supp Enable" can be turned off as recommended by
    Sipura/Linksys.

    Monty wrote:

    > Having seen some discussion here recently I obtained one of these
    > devices. On paper they look great but configuring them is a nightmare.
    > Two questions:
    > 1 Where is the best place to find a user-friendly set of instructions
    > for configuration in UK?
    > 2 To my amazement the SPA 3102 doesn't seem to have any facility to
    > backup the user settings to a file. Is that right or am I missing
    > something? If the manufacturer can't be bothered to offer this
    > facility is there any other method of backing it up (apart from
    > manually noting all the values?)

    --
    Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK
    ----Remove colours from reply address----

    Steve Hayes, Mar 15, 2010
  4. Monty <> wrote:
    > Having seen some discussion here recently I obtained one of these
    > devices. On paper they look great but configuring them is a nightmare.
    > Two questions:
    > 1 Where is the best place to find a user-friendly set of instructions
    > for configuration in UK?

    It's Australian, but
    http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/spa_3102_guide.pdf

    Configuration for the UK is mostly about setting the ring cadences/etc -
    I've seen a guide somewhere but I can't find it.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Mar 15, 2010
  5. Monty

    Roger Guest

    "Monty" <> wrote in message
    > Having seen some discussion here recently I obtained one of these
    > devices. On paper they look great but configuring them is a nightmare.
    > Two questions:
    > 1 Where is the best place to find a user-friendly set of instructions
    > for configuration in UK?
    > 2 To my amazement the SPA 3102 doesn't seem to have any facility to
    > backup the user settings to a file. Is that right or am I missing
    > something? If the manufacturer can't be bothered to offer this
    > facility is there any other method of backing it up (apart from
    > manually noting all the values?)

    Heres the one I used for UK set up of an SPA3102 - I found it very useful.

    Roger, Mar 15, 2010
  6. Monty

    Roger Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message

    > "Monty" <> wrote in message
    >> Having seen some discussion here recently I obtained one of these
    >> devices. On paper they look great but configuring them is a nightmare.
    >> Two questions:
    >> 1 Where is the best place to find a user-friendly set of instructions
    >> for configuration in UK?
    >> 2 To my amazement the SPA 3102 doesn't seem to have any facility to
    >> backup the user settings to a file. Is that right or am I missing
    >> something? If the manufacturer can't be bothered to offer this
    >> facility is there any other method of backing it up (apart from
    >> manually noting all the values?)

    > Heres the one I used for UK set up of an SPA3102 - I found it very useful.

    this time with the link ;-)

    http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php

    Roger, Mar 15, 2010
  7. Monty

    Woody Guest

    "Monty" <> wrote in message
    Having seen some discussion here recently I obtained one of these
    devices. On paper they look great but configuring them is a
    nightmare.
    Two questions:
    1 Where is the best place to find a user-friendly set of
    instructions
    for configuration in UK?
    2 To my amazement the SPA 3102 doesn't seem to have any facility
    backup the user settings to a file. Is that right or am I missing
    something? If the manufacturer can't be bothered to offer this
    facility is there any other method of backing it up (apart from
    manually noting all the values?)

    The Sipgate web site, once you have opened a (free) account, has
    a wealth of information about how to set up ATAs for their
    service. Thereafter it's just a case of adjusting the config to
    suit you service provider.

    The Gradwell web site has info on ringing cadences at
    http://www.gradwell.com/support/howto/article/533
    or for a more specific Sipura info sheet look at
    http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

    Woody, Mar 15, 2010
  8. Monty

    Monty Guest

    On 15 Mar 2010 01:16:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

    >Look for the provisioning manual on the website. There is a way, at least
    >with some models (it works for the SPA2000 and SPA8000, both of which I
    >have). It does however require (a) a TFTP server and (b) a way of
    >generating a particular SIP message.
    >
    >I took an alternative approach. I built an XML file containing all of my
    >settings. Put that on a TFTP server (you can use an HTTP server too) and
    >use the special 'resync' URL in the full manual.

    Thanks for that. I haven't found the provisioning manual for SPA 3102
    on the website - does anyone have a link?

    Also I haven't come across TFTP servers before or generation of XML
    from the settings. Where can I find more information about them?

    Monty, Mar 15, 2010
  9. Monty

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:15:04 +0000, Monty wrote:

    > On 15 Mar 2010 01:16:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    >>Look for the provisioning manual on the website. There is a way, at
    >>least with some models (it works for the SPA2000 and SPA8000, both of
    >>which I have). It does however require (a) a TFTP server and (b) a way
    >>of generating a particular SIP message.
    >>
    >>I took an alternative approach. I built an XML file containing all of my
    >>settings. Put that on a TFTP server (you can use an HTTP server too) and
    >>use the special 'resync' URL in the full manual.

    > Thanks for that. I haven't found the provisioning manual for SPA 3102 on
    > the website - does anyone have a link?

    http://tinyurl.com/provisioning-guide

    You might have to register on the Cisco site to get it, but it's free.

    > Also I haven't come across TFTP servers before or generation of XML from
    > the settings. Where can I find more information about them?

    You've see a crude but effective way to do the latter. Google will tell
    you as much as you want to know about setting up TFTP. Worls a treat for
    me - I have an SPA2000 and an SPA8000 and it takes seconds to generate a
    new configuration and load it in!

    Bob Eager, Mar 15, 2010
  10. Monty

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:57:45 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:

    > Monty <> wrote:
    >> Having seen some discussion here recently I obtained one of these
    >> devices. On paper they look great but configuring them is a nightmare.
    >> Two questions:
    >> 1 Where is the best place to find a user-friendly set of instructions
    >> for configuration in UK?

    > It's Australian, but
    > http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/spa_3102_guide.pdf
    >
    > Configuration for the UK is mostly about setting the ring cadences/etc -
    > I've seen a guide somewhere but I can't find it.
    >
    > Theo

    There is a GUI app that works with Windows called NewSipuraUtil. It used to work with the SPA-3000,
    whether it works with the SPA-3102 I don't know. If you do use
    it make sure that it really has backed up by checking the file sizes. It can be a bit hit and miss.
    I can't speak for this link but I found the application here:-
    http://www.michaelplaza.nl/userfiles/File/NewSipuraUtilV2.zip

    Personally, I just use the method already explained - just saving web page then
    changing the 'action' file name to restore.
    As regards set up,a general setup wizard is available on Voxilla.com at this url:-
    http://tinyurl.com/yashdtp

    I rarely have much luck with so called 'wizards'.
    For configuring the SPA-3102 check out previous postings on Google groups
    - also look for SPA-3000 as it is very similar.

    Also take a look at Oz site http://whirlpool.net.au

    --
    Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address. SAVE THE BBC Sign petition
    http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bbc/

    Brian A, Mar 26, 2010
  11. Monty

    Monty Guest

    Re: Configuring Linksys SPA-3102

    On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:18:27 GMT, Brian A wrote:

    >There is a GUI app that works with Windows called NewSipuraUtil. It used to work with the SPA-3000,
    >whether it works with the SPA-3102 I don't know. If you do use
    >it make sure that it really has backed up by checking the file sizes. It can be a bit hit and miss.
    >I can't speak for this link but I found the application here:-

    I've tried it but it's a miss as far as SPA3102 is concerned. It seems
    a bit better for PAP2 where at least it generates a reasonable looking
    size of output. I haven't yet had the confidence yet to try restoring
    the PAP2 from it though.

    >Personally, I just use the method already explained - just saving web page then
    >changing the 'action' file name to restore.

    Can you run that past me again? When you say "saving web page" do yo
    mean saving each page individually as a web archive? What's the
    "action" file?

    >As regards set up,a general setup wizard is available on Voxilla.com at this url:-
    >http://tinyurl.com/yashdtp

    I'll give it a whirl. Whoever designed these devices didn't seem to
    give much thought to making things easy for novice users!

    Monty, Mar 27, 2010
  12. Monty

    Steve Hayes Guest

    Monty wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:18:27 GMT, Brian A wrote:
    >
    >>There is a GUI app that works with Windows called NewSipuraUtil. It used
    >>to work with the SPA-3000, whether it works with the SPA-3102 I don't
    >>know. If you do use it make sure that it really has backed up by checking
    >>the file sizes. It can be a bit hit and miss. I can't speak for this link
    >>but I found the application here:-

    > I've tried it but it's a miss as far as SPA3102 is concerned. It seems
    > a bit better for PAP2 where at least it generates a reasonable looking
    > size of output. I haven't yet had the confidence yet to try restoring
    > the PAP2 from it though.
    >
    >>Personally, I just use the method already explained - just saving web page
    >>then changing the 'action' file name to restore.

    > Can you run that past me again? When you say "saving web page" do yo
    > mean saving each page individually as a web archive? What's the
    > "action" file?
    >
    >>As regards set up,a general setup wizard is available on Voxilla.com at
    >>this url:- http://tinyurl.com/yashdtp

    > I'll give it a whirl. Whoever designed these devices didn't seem to
    > give much thought to making things easy for novice users!

    I'm the one who posted the method though I'm not the one who originally
    figured it out. Here it is again with some corrections and a bit of editing
    to make it easier to follow. Simples!

    The manual method without the need for software is:

    Log into your SPA-3102 web interface as admin. Change the view to advanced.
    Select the router tab and use the File "" Save As option from your web
    brower to save the configuration page to your PC's hard drive. Select the
    voice tab and do the same again as a different file name. That's it!

    The files you have saved can be used to restore your configuration later (if
    something goes wrong), viewed with a web browser as a snapshot of settings
    or sent to another user to assist in trouble shooting.

    Now to restore settings that you have previously saved, you need to edit the
    configuration page that you saved to your PC's hard drive. To do this, find
    the page on your hard drive, right click on it and Open With "" Notepad.
    Now, do a search for the following line of code.
    <FORM action="asipura.spa" ...........................

    Steve Hayes, Mar 29, 2010