    capabilities. The internet does split between the two computers occasionally
    and is very tempramental. Do I need to buy a wireless connection for my XP
    computer, or is there some way to fix this problem?
    =?Utf-8?B?WGFuZGVy?=, Nov 21, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?WGFuZGVy?=

    Ryan Younger Guest

    You could install a wireless adapter in the XP machine (using it as the host
    as it has a wired Internet connection), setup an ad hoc wireless network
    which the 2000 machine can connect to and then enable ICS on the host
    machine. However, that would defeat the object of purchasing a Linksys
    'Wireless'-G ADSL Gateway (WAG54G).

    I think it would be more sensible to troubleshoot the issue. Are both
    machines at the latest service packs (XP SP2 and 2000 SP4) with all the
    latest hotfixes? Is your 2000 machine using the latest wireless NIC
    drivers? Does your AP assign an IP address to both the 2000 and XP machine
    within the same range/scope? How is the Windows Firewall Client configured
    on your XP machine, do you have any third party firewall software enabled on
    either machine? Can each machine ping the other, are they within the same
    workgroup?

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/airsick/ - My Wireless Networking Blog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 21, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?WGFuZGVy?=

    Bill Whipple Guest

    Hi, Xander -

    There are a set of technical articles and questions and answers that might
    be of help at

    http://www.itcsg.com/

    You might want to start with Sharing Files and Printers on a Simple Network

    http://www.itcsg.com/Tech/Sharing.shtml

    There are also several good articles on Wireless Networking in the Tech
    Articles section.

    Hope this helps,
    --
    WLW