    Is there any simple manual out there I can use to perform some basic
    configuration on the router?

    Thanks in advance.
    Nick Name, May 23, 2005

  2. "Nick Name" <> writes:
    >We have a modempool with a cisco 2511 router. This router had an
    >IP-address, but our HQ stole it and used it for an other device.
    >Xe now have to give a new IP-address to it, but I can't use telnet
    >anymore.
    >How can I connect to the device? What commands do I use to change the
    >IP-address?

    Without being able to telnet to it, you'll have to dig out the console
    cable, and hook the console port up to a serial port on your laptop/computer.
    Run up a term program, 9600 baud, 8N1, and issue the correct commands.

    Its probably configured on the Ethernet 0 interface, something like

    enable
    conf term
    int ethernet 0
    ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.0.0
    end
    write mem

    would work.

    >Is there any simple manual out there I can use to perform some basic
    >configuration on the router?

    Sure, Cisco has lots of them online..

    Here's the basic config manual for a 2511..
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/cis2500/2509/acsvrug/cnfg.htm

    Note, you don't need a 2511 specific manual for 99.99% of what you
    need to do, although sometimes starting out, its easier to see
    commands tailored exactly for your enviornment.
    Doug McIntyre, May 23, 2005

  3. > We have a modempool with a cisco 2511 router. This router had an
    > IP-address, but our HQ stole it and used it for an other device.
    > Xe now have to give a new IP-address to it, but I can't use telnet
    > anymore.

    Pull it off on to its own hub, put a PC with a static address in the same
    subnet, and then telnet to it.

    It's already off the network, so just get a private hub and another PC, and
    just make the telnet connection.

    Or, use the console cable, as others have suggested..

    Command

    telnet (IP address)
    enter password
    Router>enable
    enter enable password
    Router # Configure terminal
    interface ethernet 0
    ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.0.0 (or whatever mask)
    Phillip Remaker, May 24, 2005
  4. Nick Name

    Grand Styolz Guest

    Don't forget to open up your interface by doing a 'no shut' after your
    imput of the IP address. It's amazing how many people I've seen make
    that mistake!
    Grand Styolz, May 24, 2005