Configuring a second DI-524 wireless router within an existingwireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sid B, Nov 30, 2007.

  1. Sid B

    Sid B Guest

    Hi,

    I have the following configuration:

    Internet <---> ADSL modem <--LAN wire--> DI-524 wireless router <--
    Wireless--> Laptop/PC

    However, the DI-524 wireless router does not have the range we
    expected (because of heavy concrete walls in the house). I have a
    SECOND DI-524 router that I propose to place inbetween the first and
    the laptop, as follows:

    Internet <---> ADSL modem <--LAN wire--> FIRST DI-524 wireless router
    <--**Wireless**--> SECOND DI-524 wireless router <--Wireless--> Laptop/
    PC

    My question to you is: how can I configure the SECOND DI-524 wireless
    router in such a way that the entire wireless network appears
    seamlessly connected. Just FYI, I cannot connect the second DI-524
    wireless router with a LAN wire.

    Thanks,
    Sid
    Sid B, Nov 30, 2007

  2. Sid B

    Bill Kearney Guest

    Re: Configuring a second DI-524 wireless router within an existing wireless network

    > Just FYI, I cannot connect the second DI-524
    > wireless router with a LAN wire.

    Can't? Or just don't want expend the effort? By the time you finish
    diddling around with trying various Wifi bridging it'll make running wire
    seem trivial. Pull the wire and setup the second router as an access point
    on the same SSID. Much less hassle. There's also the option of using power
    line ethernet devices to extend the network. Supposedly recent ones are
    better.
    Bill Kearney, Nov 30, 2007

  3. Re: Configuring a second DI-524 wireless router within an existing wireless network

    Hi
    To connected Wirelessly two Wireless Router they have to be configured to
    work as WDS. The Dl-524 can not be configure as WDS, you have to buy
    Wireless Routers that support WDS or find if D-Link has an Extender that
    Support WDS with the DI-524.
    Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 30, 2007
  4. Sid B

    criosusa Guest

    RE: Configuring a second DI-524 wireless router within an existing wir

    I'm looking to try same, found this
    http://support.dlink.com/supportfaq/

    Use router as Access Point / Switch
    It is STRONGLY recommended that you do not use 2 routers. You may want to
    return it and purchase an access point (wireless) or a hub/switch.

    To use your router as an access point only, please follow the steps below:

    Router A is the router you want to use as the router - connected to the modem.
    Router B is the router you want to use an access point or switch.

    Step 1 Do not use the WAN port on router B.

    Step 2 Depending on your network setup, you may need to change the LAN IP
    address of router B. The default is 192.168.0.1. If you are using another
    router, DHCP server, or Internet connection sharing software, change the LAN
    IP address of the router to an IP in your subnet (192.168.0.2). The LAN IP
    address must be static.

    Step 3 Disable DHCP on router B. To disable DHCP, go into the routers
    configuration > Home > DHCP. Click Disable and then click apply.

    To view the FAQ on how to set your IP address statically please visit:
    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1053

    hope this helps, i'll let you know

    criosusa, Jan 8, 2008