    to my ISP, which is BT in the UK (PPoE I think?). Can anyone point me to
    any guides?

    TIA, Jase

    Jason, Nov 26, 2009

  2. Jason

    Bob Goddard Guest

    Jason wrote:

    > I have just ordered an ADSL WIC for my Cisco 2611XM router. I am
    > looking for instructions on how to configure it & also how to set it
    > up to connect to my ISP, which is BT in the UK (PPoE I think?). Can
    > anyone point me to any guides?

    BT do both PPPOA & PPPOE, but folks tend to use PPPOA due to possible
    mtu issues.

    The following should help.

    interface ATM0
    no ip address
    dsl operating-mode auto

    interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
    pvc 0/38
    encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
    dialer pool-member 1

    interface Dialer0
    ip address negotiated
    encapsulation ppp
    dialer pool 1
    ppp authentication chap callin
    ppp chap hostname XXXXX
    ppp chap password 7 XXXXX

    dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

    --
    http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/

    Bob Goddard, Nov 26, 2009

  3. Jason

    Rob Guest

    Bob Goddard <> wrote:
    > The following should help.
    >
    > interface ATM0
    > no ip address
    > dsl operating-mode auto
    >
    > interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
    > pvc 0/38
    > encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
    > dialer pool-member 1
    >
    > interface Dialer0
    > ip address negotiated
    > encapsulation ppp
    > dialer pool 1
    > ppp authentication chap callin
    > ppp chap hostname XXXXX
    > ppp chap password 7 XXXXX
    >
    > dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

    Is there an advantage to using this ATM0.1 subinterface?

    When I configure a cisco for PPPoA, I have always put the commands
    you have put under ATM0.1 directly under ATM0 and it seems to work.
    Or is that wrong?

    Rob, Nov 27, 2009
  4. Jason

    Bob Goddard Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > Bob Goddard <> wrote:
    >> The following should help.
    >>
    >> interface ATM0
    >> no ip address
    >> dsl operating-mode auto
    >>
    >> interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
    >> pvc 0/38
    >> encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
    >> dialer pool-member 1
    >>
    >> interface Dialer0
    >> ip address negotiated
    >> encapsulation ppp
    >> dialer pool 1
    >> ppp authentication chap callin
    >> ppp chap hostname XXXXX
    >> ppp chap password 7 XXXXX
    >>
    >> dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

    > Is there an advantage to using this ATM0.1 subinterface?
    >
    > When I configure a cisco for PPPoA, I have always put the commands
    > you have put under ATM0.1 directly under ATM0 and it seems to work.
    > Or is that wrong?

    Well, one advantage is that you can configure up different providers and
    have somewhat seemless handover. BE require a different config and IIRC,
    it's the way the gui tools do it. If it works, it works!

    --
    http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/

    Bob Goddard, Nov 27, 2009
  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Bob Goddard <> wrote in

    > Rob wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Goddard <> wrote:
    >>> The following should help.
    >>>
    >>> interface ATM0
    >>> no ip address
    >>> dsl operating-mode auto
    >>>
    >>> interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
    >>> pvc 0/38
    >>> encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
    >>> dialer pool-member 1
    >>>
    >>> interface Dialer0
    >>> ip address negotiated
    >>> encapsulation ppp
    >>> dialer pool 1
    >>> ppp authentication chap callin
    >>> ppp chap hostname XXXXX
    >>> ppp chap password 7 XXXXX
    >>>
    >>> dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

    >> Is there an advantage to using this ATM0.1 subinterface?
    >>
    >> When I configure a cisco for PPPoA, I have always put the commands
    >> you have put under ATM0.1 directly under ATM0 and it seems to work.
    >> Or is that wrong?

    > Well, one advantage is that you can configure up different providers

    and
    > have somewhat seemless handover. BE require a different config and

    IIRC,
    > it's the way the gui tools do it. If it works, it works!

    Thanks for the reply I'm up and running.

    Cheers, Jase

    Jason, Nov 30, 2009