configure wireless USB NIC for Windows 2000?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Meat Plow, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:42:22 -0500, WCH wrote:

    > I set up an older computer (P III running Windows 2000 Pro fully patched
    > and updated) as a secondary machine in a vacation home. I want to
    > connect it to the wireless network we established using a Linksys USB
    > wireless NIC ("G" speed). The preference of the people who sleep in the
    > room where this PC is located is that the machine is off at night. My
    > problem is that the Linksys utility that came with the wireless NIC does
    > not automatically reconnect to the Internet when the PC is turned on in
    > the morning. I can reconnect it manually every time but this is a pain.
    > I'm looking for help configuring the PC to do the reconnection itself,
    > presumably by ignoring the Linksys utility and either using something
    > built into W2k or some third-party utility. The WAN connection is
    > encrypted and the SSID is not broadcast, in case that matters, but the
    > Linksys utility has all the right settings. It just won't reconnect on
    > it's own.
    > Is there a simple way to work this out?
    > WC

    The wireless utility should have a way to save the current profile. Turn
    off any built in wireless configuration that W2k may have as the two will
    conflict.

    WCH, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Meat Plow

    WCH Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:42:22 -0500, WCH wrote:
    >
    >> I set up an older computer (P III running Windows 2000 Pro fully patched
    >> and updated) as a secondary machine in a vacation home. I want to
    >> connect it to the wireless network we established using a Linksys USB
    >> wireless NIC ("G" speed). The preference of the people who sleep in the
    >> room where this PC is located is that the machine is off at night. My
    >> problem is that the Linksys utility that came with the wireless NIC does
    >> not automatically reconnect to the Internet when the PC is turned on in
    >> the morning. I can reconnect it manually every time but this is a pain.
    >> I'm looking for help configuring the PC to do the reconnection itself,
    >> presumably by ignoring the Linksys utility and either using something
    >> built into W2k or some third-party utility. The WAN connection is
    >> encrypted and the SSID is not broadcast, in case that matters, but the
    >> Linksys utility has all the right settings. It just won't reconnect on
    >> it's own.
    >> Is there a simple way to work this out?
    >> WC

    > The wireless utility should have a way to save the current profile. Turn
    > off any built in wireless configuration that W2k may have as the two will
    > conflict.

    I actually set the profile I need to be the DEFAULT profile in the
    utility and made sure it was the ONLY profile. Didn't help. Tell me
    more about "built-in wireless configuration" in W2k. If I could figure
    THAT out I'd use it and dump the Linksys utility.

    WCH, Feb 18, 2006
  4. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:17:43 -0500, WCH wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:42:22 -0500, WCH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I set up an older computer (P III running Windows 2000 Pro fully patched
    >>> and updated) as a secondary machine in a vacation home. I want to
    >>> connect it to the wireless network we established using a Linksys USB
    >>> wireless NIC ("G" speed). The preference of the people who sleep in the
    >>> room where this PC is located is that the machine is off at night. My
    >>> problem is that the Linksys utility that came with the wireless NIC does
    >>> not automatically reconnect to the Internet when the PC is turned on in
    >>> the morning. I can reconnect it manually every time but this is a pain.
    >>> I'm looking for help configuring the PC to do the reconnection itself,
    >>> presumably by ignoring the Linksys utility and either using something
    >>> built into W2k or some third-party utility. The WAN connection is
    >>> encrypted and the SSID is not broadcast, in case that matters, but the
    >>> Linksys utility has all the right settings. It just won't reconnect on
    >>> it's own.
    >>> Is there a simple way to work this out?
    >>> WC

    >> The wireless utility should have a way to save the current profile. Turn
    >> off any built in wireless configuration that W2k may have as the two will
    >> conflict.

    > I actually set the profile I need to be the DEFAULT profile in the
    > utility and made sure it was the ONLY profile. Didn't help. Tell me
    > more about "built-in wireless configuration" in W2k. If I could figure
    > THAT out I'd use it and dump the Linksys utility.

    I said it "may" have it.I don't have a W2K machine so I can't check. Have
    you contacted Linksys? If you can understand the heavy accentted farmed
    out to India tech support they may actually be of some help.

    Meat Plow, Feb 19, 2006