    I am also getting an error message when I attempt to
    configure the server using the "Typical Configuration For
    A First Server" option.
    Teiden, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Teiden

    Marko Guest

    Teiden: Don't get all flustered and upset, because I AM
    going to help you. In the process, some truths may strike
    you as some sort of attack on you. This is not the
    intention, so please view what I have written as some
    honest guidance towards achieving what I suspect are some
    lofty certification goals.

    Assume that you haven't, hence the errors you report
    below. Before we get started, have a look at this:

    Note the bit: "...credential is intended for IT
    professionals who work in the typically complex computing
    environment ..." Keep reading, because everything, right
    up to the connectivity requirement, would have allowed you
    to do these things that you have asked.

    I mention all of this as a way to suggest that perhaps you
    should look at something less reliant on pre-existing
    knowledge to begin with, since the minimum prerequisites
    look to be something that you are lacking in. I don't
    know you as well as you know yourself, so I don't presume
    to measure your abilities from just a few short sentences.
    I would expect you in turn to be realistic in appraising
    your existing skillset and thereby accurately determine a
    good starting point for Windows Technology studies.

    Have you studied 70-210 or 70-270, Win2K or WP Pro
    material? This is a far better choice of study that will
    help you build your Windows Server 2003 skills at the same
    time.

    Network+ study will give you an excellent overview of
    networking technologies.

    >"Remote Desktop for Administration installed on Server01,
    >with Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance enabled."

    Go to a command prompt on Server01 and type "telnet
    127.0.0.1 3389". If the windows goes blank before
    a "Connection to host lost." message, then Remote Desktop
    is installed on that machine. If it is not installed, do
    so via the Add / Remove Software option.

    >"A configured and functioning Transmission Control
    >Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) network to which your
    >console and remote administrative target computers
    >can connect (for administration of remote computers)."

    This means that all computers on your network have IP
    numbers and subnet masks that would allow each to find
    another. For example, Server01 would have IP 192.168.0.1
    mask 255.255.255.0, and the next computer might have IP
    192.168.0.2 with the same mask. From a command prompt at
    Server01, you could enter "ping 192.168.1.2" and it would
    reply that packets are not lost in transit, if this is
    working.

    >I am also getting an error message when I attempt to
    >configure the server using the "Typical Configuration For
    >A First Server" option.
    >.

    Very vague fault, but I am guessing that if you go to a
    command prompt and type "nslookup", no name server will be
    found. Server01 should have DNS correctly configured
    before you can run the AD setup using DCPROMO. I know I
    have likely lost you with this last sentence, but keep
    this info handy as a reminder of what you should aim to do.

    All the best.
    Marko, Jan 16, 2004