configure SPA-3000 to dial without answering?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Kyler Laird, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    I'm loaning my SPA-2000 and SPA-3000 to a friend who wants
    to have his office line available to him at home. I thought
    it would be a good experiment because I'd like to do similar
    things eventually.

    I have learned quite a bit about the SPA configurations but
    I'm stumped by a detail.

    The PSTN line of the SPA-3000 is configured to use a
    dialplan of ":1234" to contact my Asterisk server. This is
    the corresponding entry in extensions.conf.
    exten => 1234,1,Dial(SIP/officephone)
    (I'm just making it ring the office phone when the office
    line is called for now.)

    The problem is that as soon as the call appears on the PSTN,
    the SPA-3000 goes off-hook and passes the call to Asterisk.
    (I'm not sure of the order.) I don't want it to go off-hook
    unless the call is answered.

    I suspect that there's a special dialplan or dial command
    option for this but I'm not seeing it in the Sipura User
    Guide or in Asterisk's dial command. I would expect many
    installations to want this functionality (and I've done it
    without the SPA-3000) but I'm not finding references to it.

    Any pointers?

    Thank you.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Kyler Laird

    tomc Guest

    Yes it is possible, needs a 'trick' but nothing too terrible I think. I
    have a feeling that a lot of folks want this functionality, so I'm hoping
    Sipura will address it directly at some point. In the meantime follow this
    link:

    http://voxilla.com/forum-viewtopic-t-1335.html

    -Tom

    -------------------------------------

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

    tomc, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    (tomc) writes:

    >Yes it is possible, needs a 'trick' but nothing too terrible I think. I
    >have a feeling that a lot of folks want this functionality, so I'm hoping
    >Sipura will address it directly at some point. In the meantime follow this
    >link:

    >http://voxilla.com/forum-viewtopic-t-1335.html

    Ah! That *is* terrible (because it shouldn't be required) but it's wonderful
    that someone figured out an end-run around Sipura. (Why does Sipura work so
    hard at making good hardware difficult to use?)

    Thank you for passing along the info!

    Now I have to rethink my recent advice not to buy SPA-3000s...

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Nov 20, 2004