Configure router for TelstraClear broadband access

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by lloyd_scott@yahoo.com, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Last week the good people of this newsgroup helped me with choosing a
    router for use on my small home network. I am now the proud owner of a
    Linksys WRT54G (V5). Thanks for all your help on that one.

    Last night I tried to get it set up on my network - some success, some
    frustration. I plugged the ethernet cables from my 2 PCs into the 4
    port switch on the router and was able to access all shared drives - no
    problems here and no need to change any setting - I already had the two
    machines named as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 in the TCP/IP properties
    under Network Connections (Windows XP Pro running on both machines) as
    I'd had them networked via a simple Excel switch.

    Next came the task of plugging in the TelstraClear Motorola SB5101
    Surfboard cable modem. I plugged it in to the Internet socket on the
    router and plugged the other end of the ethernet cable into the modem.

    The configuration routine on the Linksys asked me to specify the type
    of connection - I assumed I would use Static IP but I see other
    postings in this group that DCHP may be what I need.

    I'd be very grateful if someone could step me through the router
    configuration and advise also whether I need to change any of the
    Windows XP settings on each of the PCs.

    I'm good at following instructions (even if I don't necessarily
    understand them !!). My attempts to call TelstraClear put me in a long
    queue and, knowing my luck, I'd get to speak to someone who would toe
    the company line of "we don't offer support for routers".

    Thanks again.

    Lloyd

    , Apr 12, 2006

  2. shannon Guest

    wrote:
    > Last week the good people of this newsgroup helped me with choosing a
    > router for use on my small home network. I am now the proud owner of a
    > Linksys WRT54G (V5). Thanks for all your help on that one.
    >
    > Last night I tried to get it set up on my network - some success, some
    > frustration. I plugged the ethernet cables from my 2 PCs into the 4
    > port switch on the router and was able to access all shared drives - no
    > problems here and no need to change any setting - I already had the two
    > machines named as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 in the TCP/IP properties
    > under Network Connections (Windows XP Pro running on both machines) as
    > I'd had them networked via a simple Excel switch.
    >
    > Next came the task of plugging in the TelstraClear Motorola SB5101
    > Surfboard cable modem. I plugged it in to the Internet socket on the
    > router and plugged the other end of the ethernet cable into the modem.
    >
    > The configuration routine on the Linksys asked me to specify the type
    > of connection - I assumed I would use Static IP but I see other
    > postings in this group that DCHP may be what I need.
    >
    > I'd be very grateful if someone could step me through the router
    > configuration and advise also whether I need to change any of the
    > Windows XP settings on each of the PCs.
    >
    > I'm good at following instructions (even if I don't necessarily
    > understand them !!). My attempts to call TelstraClear put me in a long
    > queue and, knowing my luck, I'd get to speak to someone who would toe
    > the company line of "we don't offer support for routers".
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Lloyd

    For Telstraclear you will choose static ip and enter the ip number and
    gateway provided by TC, and you can set the DNS to 203.96.152.4 and
    203.96.152.12
    Your PCs are best set in the tcpip properties to obtain ip address
    automatically, and the router will use dhcp to allocate them.
    Or you can select them manually, they have to be in the same subnet as
    the router, for instance my router is 192.168.1.1 so I can choose
    addresses 192.168.1.xxx
    By default dhcp is turned on, that is for the local LAN addresses.

    shannon, Apr 12, 2006

  3. shannon wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Last week the good people of this newsgroup helped me with choosing a
    >> router for use on my small home network. I am now the proud owner of a
    >> Linksys WRT54G (V5). Thanks for all your help on that one.
    >>
    >> Last night I tried to get it set up on my network - some success, some
    >> frustration. I plugged the ethernet cables from my 2 PCs into the 4
    >> port switch on the router and was able to access all shared drives - no
    >> problems here and no need to change any setting - I already had the two
    >> machines named as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 in the TCP/IP properties
    >> under Network Connections (Windows XP Pro running on both machines) as
    >> I'd had them networked via a simple Excel switch.
    >>
    >> Next came the task of plugging in the TelstraClear Motorola SB5101
    >> Surfboard cable modem. I plugged it in to the Internet socket on the
    >> router and plugged the other end of the ethernet cable into the modem.
    >>
    >> The configuration routine on the Linksys asked me to specify the type
    >> of connection - I assumed I would use Static IP but I see other
    >> postings in this group that DCHP may be what I need.
    >>
    >> I'd be very grateful if someone could step me through the router
    >> configuration and advise also whether I need to change any of the
    >> Windows XP settings on each of the PCs.
    >>
    >> I'm good at following instructions (even if I don't necessarily
    >> understand them !!). My attempts to call TelstraClear put me in a long
    >> queue and, knowing my luck, I'd get to speak to someone who would toe
    >> the company line of "we don't offer support for routers".
    >>
    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> Lloyd
    >>

    > For Telstraclear you will choose static ip and enter the ip number and
    > gateway provided by TC, and you can set the DNS to 203.96.152.4 and
    > 203.96.152.12
    > Your PCs are best set in the tcpip properties to obtain ip address
    > automatically, and the router will use dhcp to allocate them.
    > Or you can select them manually, they have to be in the same subnet as
    > the router, for instance my router is 192.168.1.1 so I can choose
    > addresses 192.168.1.xxx
    > By default dhcp is turned on, that is for the local LAN addresses.

    Without any specific knowledge of the Linksys router, you also want to set the
    router to operate in NAT (Network Address Translation) mode. It will then make
    outgoing traffic from your local network on 192.168.* appear to come from your
    TelstraClear assigned ip number and avoid opening up your local lan to the
    nasties of the big wide world.

    Mark Robinson, Apr 12, 2006
  4. shannon Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Last week the good people of this newsgroup helped me with choosing a
    >>> router for use on my small home network. I am now the proud owner of a
    >>> Linksys WRT54G (V5). Thanks for all your help on that one.
    >>>
    >>> Last night I tried to get it set up on my network - some success, some
    >>> frustration. I plugged the ethernet cables from my 2 PCs into the 4
    >>> port switch on the router and was able to access all shared drives - no
    >>> problems here and no need to change any setting - I already had the two
    >>> machines named as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 in the TCP/IP properties
    >>> under Network Connections (Windows XP Pro running on both machines) as
    >>> I'd had them networked via a simple Excel switch.
    >>>
    >>> Next came the task of plugging in the TelstraClear Motorola SB5101
    >>> Surfboard cable modem. I plugged it in to the Internet socket on the
    >>> router and plugged the other end of the ethernet cable into the modem.
    >>>
    >>> The configuration routine on the Linksys asked me to specify the type
    >>> of connection - I assumed I would use Static IP but I see other
    >>> postings in this group that DCHP may be what I need.
    >>>
    >>> I'd be very grateful if someone could step me through the router
    >>> configuration and advise also whether I need to change any of the
    >>> Windows XP settings on each of the PCs.
    >>>
    >>> I'm good at following instructions (even if I don't necessarily
    >>> understand them !!). My attempts to call TelstraClear put me in a long
    >>> queue and, knowing my luck, I'd get to speak to someone who would toe
    >>> the company line of "we don't offer support for routers".
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again.
    >>>
    >>> Lloyd
    >>>

    >> For Telstraclear you will choose static ip and enter the ip number and
    >> gateway provided by TC, and you can set the DNS to 203.96.152.4 and
    >> 203.96.152.12
    >> Your PCs are best set in the tcpip properties to obtain ip address
    >> automatically, and the router will use dhcp to allocate them.
    >> Or you can select them manually, they have to be in the same subnet as
    >> the router, for instance my router is 192.168.1.1 so I can choose
    >> addresses 192.168.1.xxx
    >> By default dhcp is turned on, that is for the local LAN addresses.

    > Without any specific knowledge of the Linksys router, you also want to
    > set the router to operate in NAT (Network Address Translation) mode. It
    > will then make outgoing traffic from your local network on 192.168.*
    > appear to come from your TelstraClear assigned ip number and avoid
    > opening up your local lan to the nasties of the big wide world.

    Thats the default setup of the Linksys WRT54G that I am connecting
    through a TelstraClear cable modem with to post this message. :)

    shannon, Apr 13, 2006
  5. Peter Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > For Telstraclear you will choose static ip and enter the ip number and
    > gateway provided by TC, and you can set the DNS to 203.96.152.4 and
    > 203.96.152.12

    Watch the network mask. This is usually 255.255.255.0 and this works for
    Windows. If you are ripping your hair out, try 255.255.252.0, since some
    TC static IP number are in blocks of 1024. It seems Windows adjusts the
    mask to reconcile the ip and gateway numbers, but Linux oriented systems
    may not.

    Peter, Apr 13, 2006
  6. Lloyd Guest

    Guys.

    I've got it working - thanks for all your help. And it's so fast.

    Much appreciated. I'm a happy man.

    lloyd

    Lloyd, Apr 15, 2006