    3
    We install modems at customer sites so we can get into customer routers from time to time. The company I work for has moved away from modem cards in the routers, to buying external US robotics modems to save money. I have configured OOB to work on the AUX port of the cisco router already. I now need to know the commands involved with configuring the US robotics modem model 5686...........

    I have cabled the modem to the AUX port properly and installed the modem at the customer site but I can not authenticate to the modem at the customer site. It dials fine and picks up but I do not know what the username & password is. I thought I set it up to auto login but I must be doing something wrong. Can someone tell me the Hayes compatible AT commands that programs a US robotics modem for OOB access? My modem model is a 5686...........

    flboy0638, Mar 15, 2008

  2. flboy0638

    flboy0638

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    I failed to mention I have been all over google looking at the commands but nothing is clear. In addition to trying the commands I saw on US robotics and on google, most of the commands gave me an "error" when I tried typing them in in hyperterminal.

    This is an edit after the fact to let users know that the weblinks would not post due to a restriction of the site. At any rate, please not I tried 2 articles from us robotics that did not work.

    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
    flboy0638, Mar 15, 2008

  3. flboy0638

    flboy0638

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Also, these are the commands I followed and the ones that worked are in bold the other commands just said "error" when i tried them:

    ats41=3&w

    This command sets the modem’s S register number 41, allowable remote login attempts. Here the number of attempts is set to three. The default is zero (no remote login allowed). Without & w at the end of the ‘at’ commands, the commands will only be retained until the modem is powered off or reset.

    at%p1=easy123

    This command sets the remote access password to easy123. The value 1 after p means the modem will allow configuration changes to be made (a value of 0 means the remote user has read-only access).

    at&b1&w

    Sets the serial port rate as fixed, meaning it will not vary with active connection rate.

    at&h0&w

    This disables transmit data flow control on data transmitted from the router.

    at&r1&w

    This sets the modem to ignore the Ready to Send (RTS) signal.
    It is permissible to combine commands for ease of configuration. For example, the last three commands could be combined as:
    at&b1&h0&r1&w

    ats0=2&w

    Configures the modem auto answer to pick up on the second ring.

    ats53=3&w

    This sets the modem’s S register 53 bit to 3 and activates DTMF Security. DTMF is a type of dial security that takes the modem off- hook when a call is received but the modem will only train up if a valid DTMF password is entered.

    at%a0=easy123,y,n,n,,

    This command sets up a dial security user account. In this case the 0 is the number of the account (values can be 0-9). The easy123 password is the same one from earlier. The next three positions are set to: yes, enable the account; no, do not allow dialback; no, do not prompt the user for a dialback number. The extra comma is a placeholder for a dialback number if dialback is allowed.

    ati10

    Shows the DTMF security status and password. The modem will provide command output that will verify that dial security is enabled along with the configured settings.

    Atz

    This will cause a software reset of the modem so that the final configuration can be verified. The atz command is the software equivalent of power cycling the modem.

    After the modem reset, enter the command:

    ati4

    to print out the complete modem configuration.

    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
    flboy0638, Mar 15, 2008