Configure Linksys Router to Access TelstraClear Cable

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by lloyd_scott@yahoo.com, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Last week the good people of this newsgroup helped me with choosing a
    router for use on my small home network. I am now the proud owner of a
    Linksys WRT54G (V5). Thanks for all your help on that one.

    Last night I tried to get it set up on my network - some success, some
    frustration. I plugged the ethernet cables from my 2 PCs into the 4
    port switch on the router and was able to access all shared drives - no
    problems here and no need to change any setting - I already had the two
    machines named as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 in the TCP/IP properties
    under Network Connections (Windows XP Pro running on both machines) as
    I'd had them networked via a simple Excel switch.

    Next came the task of plugging in the TelstraClear Motorola SB5101
    Surfboard cable modem. I plugged it in to the Internet socket on the
    router and plugged the other end of the ethernet cable into the modem.

    The configuration routine on the Linksys asked me to specify the type
    of connection - I assumed I would use Static IP but I see other
    postings in this group that DCHP may be what I need.

    I'd be very grateful if someone could step me through the router
    configuration and advise also whether I need to change any of the
    Windows XP settings on each of the PCs.

    I'm good at following instructions (even if I don't necessarily
    understand them !!). My attempts to call TelstraClear put me in a long
    queue and, knowing my luck, I'd get to speak to someone who would toe
    the company line of "we don't offer support for routers".

    Thanks again.

    Lloyd
    , Apr 12, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    > Last week the good people of this newsgroup helped me with choosing a
    > router for use on my small home network. I am now the proud owner of a
    > Linksys WRT54G (V5). Thanks for all your help on that one.
    >
    > Last night I tried to get it set up on my network - some success, some
    > frustration. I plugged the ethernet cables from my 2 PCs into the 4
    > port switch on the router and was able to access all shared drives - no
    > problems here and no need to change any setting - I already had the two
    > machines named as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 in the TCP/IP properties
    > under Network Connections (Windows XP Pro running on both machines) as
    > I'd had them networked via a simple Excel switch.
    >
    > Next came the task of plugging in the TelstraClear Motorola SB5101
    > Surfboard cable modem. I plugged it in to the Internet socket on the
    > router and plugged the other end of the ethernet cable into the modem.
    >
    > The configuration routine on the Linksys asked me to specify the type
    > of connection - I assumed I would use Static IP but I see other
    > postings in this group that DCHP may be what I need.
    >
    > I'd be very grateful if someone could step me through the router
    > configuration and advise also whether I need to change any of the
    > Windows XP settings on each of the PCs.
    >
    > I'm good at following instructions (even if I don't necessarily
    > understand them !!). My attempts to call TelstraClear put me in a long
    > queue and, knowing my luck, I'd get to speak to someone who would toe
    > the company line of "we don't offer support for routers".
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Lloyd

    You need to configure the router to use the IP supplied by TCL. Most
    cable-modem connections are using static IP addresses, so you will have to
    configure it to be static, IP address supplied, DNS should be the one used
    by your provider (I believe in your case could be Paradise).

    Next you have to configure the internal network. In this case you have two

    - set the router as a DHCP server and configure your PCs to get all
    configuration from the router or
    - set each individual PC with its own configuration, taking care to block
    these addresses on the router's DHCP configuration (to prevent the router
    handing out these addresses to other PCs later).

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 13, 2006

  3. Lloyd Guest

    Thanks Mauricio

    I've now got it configured and am browsing the net happily (and so much
    faster than with my sad looking dial up connection)

    lloyd
    Lloyd, Apr 15, 2006