    physical layer)?

    Any assistance would be much appreciated.

    eddiec :)
    Edward Chalk, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Edward Chalk

    brambi Guest

    Edward Chalk wrote:

    > hi everyone,
    >
    > I have an 827 that has been NATing up till now, however the company that I
    > work for wants to set up a VPN that will run off a Watchguard Firewall
    > that sits behind the Cisco. The Firewall will not accept VPN requests that
    > have been NATed so I want to turn the Cisco into a dumb device that will
    > simply act as a bridge between ADSL and Ethernet (even although this is a
    > waste, my only other alternative is to buy a new dumb ADSL modem and not
    > use the cisco at all).
    >
    > How can I configure the Cisco to act as a bridge (and only operate on the
    > physical layer)?

    Hi
    I also tried it. After many hours I was told by a cisco engineer that it is
    impossible.

    Ask your ISP a small range of public ip addresses to use between your 827
    (lan) and VPN device.

    Bram.
    brambi, Jul 24, 2003

  3. In article <3f1f6dcb$>,
    Edward Chalk <chalk@NO_SPAM_netspace.net.au> wrote:
    :I have an 827 that has been NATing up till now, however the company that I
    :work for wants to set up a VPN that will run off a Watchguard Firewall that
    :sits behind the Cisco. The Firewall will not accept VPN requests that have
    :been NATed so I want to turn the Cisco into a dumb device that will simply
    :act as a bridge between ADSL and Ethernet (even although this is a waste, my

    I don't know anything about Watchguard Firewall, but that sounds
    like what would happen if the Watchguard had AH turned on.
    If it were a Cisco PIX firewall, AH would be configurable [by
    changing the "transformation set".] Perhaps the Watchguard has
    something similar?

    Turning off AH does increase risk a bit -- you cannot be *as* sure
    that the packets come from the right place. It's a level-of-
    confidence issue: ESP's AH is considered good -enough- in
    many locations.
    --
    "WHEN QUINED, YIELDS A TORTOISE'S LOVE-SONG"
    WHEN QUINED, YIELDS A TORTOISE'S LOVE-SONG. (GEB)
    Walter Roberson, Jul 24, 2003