configure a wireless pci/usb adaptor to act as an access point

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBTYW5kZXJz?=, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. hi, is it possible to configure a wireless pci/usb adaptor to act as an
    access point, to share a wired internet connection from the pc, thanks Alan
    =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBTYW5kZXJz?=, Jul 2, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBTYW5kZXJz?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    You can configure a Wireless card to connect to an other computer's Wireless
    card using in Ad-Hoc mode.
    However this will work between two computers but it will not turn the source
    card to an Access Point capable to connect to many computer.
    Otherwise you can get an inexpensive Wireless Cable/DSL Router (In the USA
    you can find many for less than $20), and use it as an Access Point. Using
    Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 2, 2005

  3. hi

    many thanks for your advice much appreciated

    Alan

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBTYW5kZXJz?=, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Jack,
    Can you advise me how to link up my wireless laptop to my desktop with a USB
    adaptor without going through a router? I want to link both up to share
    files through wireless. Both PCs have a wireless adaptor but I do not know
    how to set up a "laplink" kind of connection through wireless.

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?VmljdG9y?=, Jul 5, 2005