Configuration question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Darth Mura, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Darth Mura

    Darth Mura Guest

    This is the first time I've tried building a system and I need some
    advice.

    First you should know that I'm not at all interested in the backend
    of computers, don't like to tinker, and if I had my way would by a
    preconfigured machine. The problem is that here in Japan all
    preconfigured systems come with Japanese language software. The only
    options seem to be to build your own, or have a third party ship me a
    computer from NA or Europe.

    I've found a company that let's you build your own computer by
    selecting from a list of components. After a few hours researching
    parts, this is what I've come up with:

    Processor: AMD Athlon64 3800+ (939pin)
    Processor FAN: Silent CPU Fan & Case Fan
    Memory: DDR SDRAM 1GB (PC3200/512MB x2)
    Hard drive: (200GB) Seagate ST3200822AS
    Motherboard: (nForce4 SLI) ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Video card: nVIDIA Geforce 6600GT 128MB (PCI-E/DVI/TV-OUT)
    Sound card: CREATIVE SB Audigy2 Value Edition (OEM)
    CD-ROM/RW/DVD: DVD Multi Drive Panasonic LF-M821JD (DVD(+/-)R 16x/-RAM
    5x/Ivory)
    Power supply unit: EVERGREEN SilentKing3 500W
    Hard drive (additional): (200GB) Seagate ST3200822AS
    Firewire IEEE1394: LowProfile PCI IEEE1394 Card
    Operating System: MS Windows XP Home Edition ENGLISH OEM

    Unit price: JP¥ 211,478 / US$ 1,918.12

    Most of my choices were a couple of steps down from the highest
    performing and most expensive components. I'm not after a hot rod,
    but a dependable machine that will last me 3-5 years.

    Two things I'd like to ask about:

    1. Firewire - this is one of the options available but I can't say
    I ever heard of it nor ever needed it. If I haven't used it yet, is
    likely I'll need to in the future?
    2. Optical drive - I've gone after the biggest and best here, but
    what kind of drive should I get as a complement for copying cds/dvds?

    Any comments, recommendations, warnings or advice would be greatly
    appreciated.

    All the best from Japan,

    DM

    Darth Mura, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Darth Mura

    Peter Mark Guest

    Fire wire is a competitor to USB, only faster. If you have USB use USB. If
    you need speed add FW. Can't help much with the best drive. Pick your
    favorite brand. Peter

    Peter Mark, Aug 16, 2005