CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED - need help please?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rick, Oct 4, 2007.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Medion Desktop

    2.67 GHZ

    768 MB RAM

    180GB harddrive

    Windows XP

    This machine will not boot up into Windows XP. I configured BIOS to boot
    off CD drive and inserted Windows XP installation CD. I get the Setup
    screen and Windows starts to load files. I NEVER GET A SETUP MENU PROMPTING
    ME FOR ACTION.

    After Setup installs files the next screen I get is:

    Config_initialization_failed

    A critical service failed to initialize while starting the LastKnownGood
    control set. If this is the first time you have booted after installing new
    hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Hardware
    Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are
    compatible with your version of Windows. If Windows is loaded and no new
    hardware has been installed, reboot with recovery options set to create a
    dump file. If the message recurs, press F8 and select the Last Known Good
    option when you reboot. If there is no Last Known Good configuration, try
    using the Emergency Repair Disk.

    0x00000067

    I replaced the 180GB hard drive with a known good 12GB hard drive that I had
    laying around. Booted the PC again with the Windows XP CD and obtained the
    exact same results.

    My thought process is that the problem IS NOT the hard drive. I checked the
    motherboard for loose connections, loose cable, etc etc.

    In my GOOGLE search I found some entries that pointed toward bad RAM. Since
    the machine won't start I don't have any way of performing diagnostic tests.

    The last time this machine booted up I looked at the profile of the machine
    found at Settingsè Control Panel èSystem and it said I had 768 MB of RAM
    which is consistent with the modules installed. If any of my RAM was
    defective wouldn't it reflect it on this tab?

    I tried creating my own Recovery CD with instructions found on the net but
    that didn't work either.

    Please help and keep your explanations simple as my level of expertise is
    novice.

    Thank You
    Rick, Oct 4, 2007

  2. Rick

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:24:21 +0000, Rick wrote:

    > The last time this machine booted up I looked at the profile of the machine
    > found at Settingsè Control Panel èSystem and it said I had 768 MB of RAM
    > which is consistent with the modules installed. If any of my RAM was
    > defective wouldn't it reflect it on this tab?

    Google "bootdisk memtest"
    Meat Plow, Oct 4, 2007

  3. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I downloaded Pre-compiled Bootable ISO in zip format from
    http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

    I unzipped this and burned the 1200 MB ISO file to a CD.

    I installed the CD and booted up the machine. Nothing happens. The PC try
    to launch Windows XP, gets an error and reboots itself.

    Thoughts please? Did I do something incorrectly?

    Rick, Oct 4, 2007
  4. Rick

    TJ Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in

    >"Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:24:21 +0000, Rick wrote:

    >>> The last time this machine booted up I looked at the profile of the
    >>> machine
    >>> found at Settingsè Control Panel èSystem and it said I had 768 MB of
    >>> RAM which is consistent with the modules installed. If any of my
    >>> RAM was defective wouldn't it reflect it on this tab?

    >> Google "bootdisk memtest"

    > I downloaded Pre-compiled Bootable ISO in zip format from
    > http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
    >
    > I unzipped this and burned the 1200 MB ISO file to a CD.
    >
    > I installed the CD and booted up the machine. Nothing happens. The
    > PC try to launch Windows XP, gets an error and reboots itself.
    >
    > Thoughts please? Did I do something incorrectly?

    Two things, actually.

    One. You top posted (I kinda fixed that one) your reply to Meat Plow
    who had bottom posted his reply to you, thus you fucked up the flow of
    the thread. Two. You neglected to define the "error" in the pseudo-
    sentence, "The PC try to launch Windows XP, gets an error and reboots
    itself."
    TJ, Oct 4, 2007
  5. Rick

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 17:12:15 +0000, Rick wrote:

    > I downloaded Pre-compiled Bootable ISO in zip format from
    > http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
    >
    > I unzipped this and burned the 1200 MB ISO file to a CD.
    >
    > I installed the CD and booted up the machine. Nothing happens. The PC try
    > to launch Windows XP, gets an error and reboots itself.

    Unplug the hard disk.

    Meat Plow, Oct 4, 2007
  6. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I passed over the instruction that says to burn the ISO file as an image. I
    did that using the BurnCDCC program.

    The test is now running and I do have errors.

    In laymans terms, how does that effect the performance of the computer? If
    I correctly isolate the bad ram (there are two sticks, 1 of 512MB and the
    other of 256MB) and removed it then the computer should run, correct?

    As for the other error message when the computer tries to launch Windows XP,
    its a blue screen and the test flashes by so quickly I can't even read it.

    Hope that helps

    Rick, Oct 4, 2007
  7. Rick

    TJ Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > As for the other error message when the computer tries to launch
    > Windows XP, its a blue screen and the test flashes by so quickly I
    > can't even read it.

    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorestart.htm

    Start there, and relate the EXACT error message to the group.

    <snip>
    TJ, Oct 4, 2007
  8. Rick

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 17:46:03 +0000, Rick wrote:

    > I passed over the instruction that says to burn the ISO file as an image. I
    > did that using the BurnCDCC program.

    Ok

    > The test is now running and I do have errors.
    >
    > In laymans terms, how does that effect the performance of the computer? If
    > I correctly isolate the bad ram (there are two sticks, 1 of 512MB and the
    > other of 256MB) and removed it then the computer should run, correct?
    >
    > As for the other error message when the computer tries to launch Windows XP,
    > its a blue screen and the test flashes by so quickly I can't even read it.

    Buy new ram, report back. All your errors are likely related to the bad
    ram.
    Meat Plow, Oct 4, 2007
  9. Rick

    Rick Guest

    In performing the memory test I did indeed find that one of the modules was
    defective and that has been replaced.

    I booted up the PC and got the following error:

    STOP: c0000135 {Unable To Locate Component}
    This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found.
    Re-installing the application may fix this problem

    I read Microsoft's bulletin on this issue located here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

    but it's all Greek to me.

    I am unsure if there is an TV media on this unit. I did not originally
    setup this computer, I acquired this from a co-worker.

    The good news is that now that the memory is fixed I am able to get to the
    Windows Setup menu when I put from the Windows XP CD. However the option
    for REPAIR is not listed. It allows me to setup a copy of windows, or press
    R for Recovery console or to exit.

    At this point I am unsure as to how to proceed as so I am stopping at this
    point.

    Rick, Oct 5, 2007
  10. Rick

    meerkat Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > In performing the memory test I did indeed find that one of the
    > modules was defective and that has been replaced.
    >
    > I booted up the PC and got the following error:
    >
    > STOP: c0000135 {Unable To Locate Component}
    > This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found.
    > Re-installing the application may fix this problem
    >
    > I read Microsoft's bulletin on this issue located here:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523
    >
    > but it's all Greek to me.
    >
    > I am unsure if there is an TV media on this unit. I did not
    > originally setup this computer, I acquired this from a co-worker.
    >
    > The good news is that now that the memory is fixed I am able to get
    > to the Windows Setup menu when I put from the Windows XP CD.
    > However the option for REPAIR is not listed. It allows me to setup
    > a copy of windows, or press R for Recovery console or to exit.
    >
    > At this point I am unsure as to how to proceed as so I am stopping
    > at this point.

    Looks like you got to the first install/recover screen OK.
    You then have to say Install, and at the second screen you`ll
    get 2 options Repair, or Install, to a given partition.
    bw..
    meerkat, Oct 5, 2007
  11. Rick

    Rick Guest

    The only option I get for repair is by choosing R for recovery console.

    I would like to try and install a patch mentioned in one of Microsoft's
    bulletins but I do not know how to launch an .exe file while in the recovery
    console.

    Rick, Oct 5, 2007
  12. Rick

    meerkat Guest

    Your post placed at the Bottom!

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > The only option I get for repair is by choosing R for recovery
    > console.
    >
    > I would like to try and install a patch mentioned in one of
    > Microsoft's bulletins but I do not know how to launch an .exe file
    > while in the recovery console.

    The Recovery Console option comes up on the 1st screen,
    when you boot the CD.
    You also get an option to Install !
    Take that option, and on the 2nd screen, you will get the choice
    of Install, or REPAIR.
    Hope that`s clear now.
    meerkat, Oct 5, 2007
  13. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I have not control over posting top or bottom.

    I removed SP2 as outlined in

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350&product=windowsxpsp2

    Windows booted up and I have my desktop home screen but I have no desktop
    shortcusts nor can I get to the start button.

    Rick, Oct 5, 2007
  14. Rick

    meerkat Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    >I have not control over posting top or bottom.
    >
    > I removed SP2 as outlined in
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350&product=windowsxpsp2
    >
    > Windows booted up and I have my desktop home screen but I have no
    > desktop shortcusts nor can I get to the start button.
    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Your post placed at the Bottom!
    >>>
    >>> "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    >> "Rick" <> wrote in message
    >>> The only option I get for repair is by choosing R for recovery
    >>> console.
    >>>
    >>> I would like to try and install a patch mentioned in one of
    >>> Microsoft's bulletins but I do not know how to launch an .exe file
    >>> while in the recovery console.
    >>>

    >> The Recovery Console option comes up on the 1st screen,
    >> when you boot the CD.
    >> You also get an option to Install !
    >> Take that option, and on the 2nd screen, you will get the choice
    >> of Install, or REPAIR.
    >> Hope that`s clear now.

    The object of this conversation was, as far as I can recall....
    To help you Repair your windows OS.
    A Repair install would replace any/all damaged/corrupted/missing
    files from your OS, without disturbing your programs/data/settings.
    Could you tell me why you`ve unistalled SP2 ?.
    meerkat, Oct 5, 2007
  15. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I uninstalled SP 2 because of conflicts outlined in this bulletin

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

    After uninstalling SP2 the puter came back to life.....sort of

    There seems to be some minor bugs

    I have to rebuild network connection to get to the Internet

    I am unable to copy and paste in Windows explorer

    There seems to be something wrong with Windows Installer, can't install 3rd
    party programs i.e. Blackberry Desktop Manager

    Hopefully I am on the right path but I tell you I am winging it.

    Thanks!

    Rick, Oct 5, 2007
  16. Rick

    meerkat Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    >I uninstalled SP 2 because of conflicts outlined in this bulletin
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523
    >
    > After uninstalling SP2 the puter came back to life.....sort of
    >
    > There seems to be some minor bugs
    >
    > I have to rebuild network connection to get to the Internet
    >
    > I am unable to copy and paste in Windows explorer
    >
    > There seems to be something wrong with Windows Installer, can't
    > install 3rd party programs i.e. Blackberry Desktop Manager
    >
    > Hopefully I am on the right path but I tell you I am winging it.
    >
    > Thanks!

    snipped to keep it short.
    It sounds as though you need to do a System file check to
    straighten out your system a bit.
    Go to Start button/Run, and type in CMD
    A black command screen will come up.
    at the cursor type sfc /scannow (space after c, and 2 n)
    You will be asked for your Windows CD.
    Feed it in, and let the file repair take place while you have
    a cup of tea/coffee.
    Restart the machine, then come back if you`re making progress.
    bw..
    meerkat, Oct 5, 2007
  17. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Uggh

    The computer is asking me for Win XP Home Edition SP 1 which of course I do
    not have.

    I did not set up this computer as I acquired it from a co-worker.

    I guess I am stuck.

    Rick, Oct 5, 2007