Coney Island Mermaid Parade Pictures Now On Web

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don Wiss, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    This is my second year taking pictures at Coney Island's annual Mermaid
    Parade. This parade celebrates the opening of the summer season. I like
    this parade, as most of the participants dress up in costume. However, this
    year it was more crowded, and I don't think I was able to get as good
    pictures as last year. Many pictures have other photographers smack in
    front of the marchers. It was crawling with photographers that were not
    behind the barricades. In total I put up 185 pictures. You can find them
    here:

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/Mermaid-2005/

    Also put up are pictures from the Manhattan Gay Pride Parade. I wasn't
    planning on attending, but a photographer I befriended at the Mermaid
    Parade convinced me to attend this parade the next day. Only some of the
    people are in costume. I ended up taking 340 pictures, which basically
    documents the entire parade. See them at:

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/GayPride-2005/

    People are welcome to share these links in other appropriate forums,
    mailing lists, and blogs.

    Cropping
    --------
    All cropping was done losslessly with jpegcrop. Almost all pictures were
    cropped some. Some were cut into two pictures. I made two passes through
    all of them. The second time usually trimming off a little more.

    Picture Reduction Scheme
    ------------------------
    I posted an article in rec.photo.digital asking for suggestions on how I
    should reduce these pictures while maintaining quality. (They were taken in
    1600x1200 resolution with normal compression.) No one responded. So I spent
    a lot of time thinking about it. I noticed that when using jpegcrop that it
    only offered reductions in 1/8s. Or 12.5%, 25%, 37.5%, 50%, 62.5%, etc.
    Knowing that lossless cropping meant the dimensions were still divisible by
    eight, I knew that if I kept to reductions in eights I would not have
    fractions of pixels. Previously my pictures were taken in VGA resolution,
    or 640x480. So pictures in my albums were that size or smaller (if
    cropped). I decided to use an algorithm based solely on height. With wide
    ones scrolling sideways, as if they were a stitched panorama. So I first
    determined whether the picture was in portrait or landscape orientation by
    comparing its height and width. Then I used this algorithm:

    Portrait Landscape
    <= 640 100% <= 480 100%
    <= 728 87.5% <= 544 87.5%
    <= 848 75% <= 640 75%
    <= 1008 62.5% <= 768 62.5%
    <= 1280 50% <= 960 50%
    <= 1600 37.5% <= 1200 37.5%

    For the reduction I used Easy Thumbnails, calling it using the command line
    prompt option under my album building program's control. I ended up with
    pictures the same height as my existing albums.

    If there was no reduction a reduced size image was not created (to save on
    host server space). If both a reduced size image exists and the original
    size, when you hover your cursor over the picture the tip will include
    [Click for larger picture].

    Camera
    ------
    All pictures where taken with my Nikon 8400. Being a wide angle camera
    there are no pictures zoomed into parade participants. Plus with the lack
    of image stabilization, even in the sunlight, many pictures are blurred due
    to camera shake. Or maybe slow focusing. By next year I will have purchased
    a different camera.

    In the Mermaid Parade the sunlight was coming from behind the marchers. I
    did not bring an external flash to fill shadows. Maybe I should have. Part
    way through the parade there was a long gap. Many people thought it was
    over. I wandered towards the parade's origin and took the rest of the
    pictures as the marchers where making the turn onto Surf Ave. At least
    there I wasn't taking the pictures directly into the sun.

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at album bottoms).

    Don Wiss, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Don Wiss

    Ted Guest

    "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > ------
    > All pictures where taken with my Nikon 8400. Being a wide angle camera
    > there are no pictures zoomed into parade participants. Plus with the lack
    > of image stabilization, even in the sunlight, many pictures are blurred
    > due
    > to camera shake. Or maybe slow focusing. By next year I will have
    > purchased
    > a different camera.
    >
    > In the Mermaid Parade the sunlight was coming from behind the marchers. I
    > did not bring an external flash to fill shadows. Maybe I should have. Part
    > way through the parade there was a long gap. Many people thought it was
    > over. I wandered towards the parade's origin and took the rest of the
    > pictures as the marchers where making the turn onto Surf Ave. At least
    > there I wasn't taking the pictures directly into the sun.

    now 89...........that's some mermaid, though rather unconventional to say
    the least. Plus, where would you put your cigarettes.

    and as for 102..............well

    Ted, Jul 2, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

    > This is my second year taking pictures at Coney Island's annual Mermaid
    > Parade. This parade celebrates the opening of the summer season. I like
    > this parade, as most of the participants dress up in costume. However, this
    > year it was more crowded, and I don't think I was able to get as good
    > pictures as last year. Many pictures have other photographers smack in
    > front of the marchers. It was crawling with photographers that were not
    > behind the barricades. In total I put up 185 pictures. You can find them
    > here:
    >
    > http://donwiss.com/pictures/Mermaid-2005/

    Some of those are too small to see. You'll have to zoom in to a single
    person if you want to make small image sizes usable. Tiny wide-angle
    shots of a crowd look like a jumble.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Don Wiss

    Bob Williams Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
> [...]
    > [Click for larger picture].
    >
    > Camera
    > ------
    > All pictures where taken with my Nikon 8400. Being a wide angle camera
    > there are no pictures zoomed into parade participants. Plus with the lack
    > of image stabilization, even in the sunlight, many pictures are blurred due
    > to camera shake. Or maybe slow focusing. By next year I will have purchased
    > a different camera.
    >
    > In the Mermaid Parade the sunlight was coming from behind the marchers. I
    > did not bring an external flash to fill shadows. Maybe I should have. Part
    > way through the parade there was a long gap. Many people thought it was
    > over. I wandered towards the parade's origin and took the rest of the
    > pictures as the marchers where making the turn onto Surf Ave. At least
    > there I wasn't taking the pictures directly into the sun.

    Whenever I hear comments about Coney Island being crowded, I think of
    one of the Immortal Quotes of Yogi Berra.
    He said:
    "Nobody goes to Coney Island anymore. It's just too crowded." :)
    Bob Wiliams

    Bob Williams, Jul 2, 2005
  5. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005, Kevin McMurtrie <> wrote:

    > Don Wiss wrote:

    >> http://donwiss.com/pictures/Mermaid-2005/

    >Some of those are too small to see. You'll have to zoom in to a single
    >person if you want to make small image sizes usable. Tiny wide-angle
    >shots of a crowd look like a jumble.

    In your reply you quoted my entire post to write three lines! But it
    appears you didn't read all that I wrote and you quoted. Further on I

    Don Wiss, Jul 2, 2005
  6. Don Wiss

    MW Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > > pictures as last year. Many pictures have other photographers smack in

    > front of the marchers. It was crawling with photographers that were not
    > behind the barricades.

    I had the same problem at the Pride Parade: I would frame a shot, press
    the shutter, and then between the moment I pressed the shutter and the
    moment the camera actually took the picture (shutter lag, you know!), a
    press photographer would step in front of the camera and I would wind up
    with a photo of the back of his head.

    Every time that happened I cursed the fact that I can't yet afford a DSLR!

    Nice pix, though!

    MW, Jul 3, 2005